So an AXE player walks into a local music store to buy some strings

cyberk9

Inspired
So an AXE player walks into a local music store to buy some strings...............at this local store they all know I got an AXE FX II...it feels kinda like I have a UFO in my garage or something ...so they inquire ....How's that AXE doin............I feel like Doc from back to the future....when he is about to explain the future..............I don't have a full shot glass damn... I start and I go on and on and on about the options the amps and cabs ,,effects I explain the difference between the FX8 and the coming (I need it Now)....AX8....take some questions answer as best as I can.......explain the AXE Forum to them..where they can fall into the deepest rabbit hole ever ....Tweaker Heaven......2 hrs later I leave the store.....forgetting the strings...hows that happen?...guess I'm goin back.

Forgive me, I presumed that if you know your way around the Axe FX, you really wouldn't need much from a store, as most seasoned players know what they like. Picks, strings, cables, cases, mics, expression pedals, guitars, etc.. all can be purchased online, but your'e there for the camaraderie, and to hear some n00b play Metallica. Poorly.

Lol! Don't forget the guitars, man. I'm really in it for the guitars. And lately, the basses. AxeFX lets me focus all my GAS on guitars-- exactly where I should be focused.

Yes, agreed on the poorly-played Metallica. It's the New Smoke on the Water.

I only wish I had a music store where I could go for camaraderie. My only options are Guitar Centers, and if I could get in and out without talking to a single sales person, I would. Last time I was there, one of the sales noobs tried to tell me that Fender amps sounded better than Marshalls because Fenders were "class A" and Marshalls were "class B".

I'm a friendly dude, but I don't need that nonsense.

I guess I'm just jaded. Between the sales guys at GC either ignoring you, and the guys at Sam Ash that I actually talk to (they know I have an AFX and my current guitar lineup satiates me), not much reason to step foot into a brick and mortar store, unless you can shoot the breeze. I used to have a string endorsement through a local company, but strings are really the only excuse to meander the stores.

I guess I'm just jaded. Between the sales guys at GC either ignoring you, and the guys at Sam Ash that I actually talk to (they know I have an AFX and my current guitar lineup satiates me), not much reason to step foot into a brick and mortar store, unless you can shoot the breeze. I used to have a string endorsement through a local company, but strings are really the only excuse to meander the stores.

That's cool that you have folks you can chat up. There used to be a mom-n-pop place that I could visit and hang out at, but GC put them out of business a while ago.

I use "strings" as an excuse to visit GC and browse the used gear section. :D I still find good deals every now and then in used gear. If I bought all my strings online -- which would be way smarter, I know -- I would have to find another cover excuse to browse the used gear!

...it feels kinda like I have a UFO in my garage or something

Heh...to some of my traditional tube amp, pedalboard loving friends the AFX might as well be a UFO, which is kinda funny since some of their pedalboards are wired far more complicated than any UFO I've seen 'round this neck of the woods...

Heh...to some of my traditional tube amp, pedalboard loving friends the AFX might as well be a UFO, which is kinda funny since some of their pedalboards are wired far more complicated than any UFO I've seen 'round this neck of the woods...

Yeah i definitely have boutique pedal friends, however after 2 years of looking at what the axe can do, the conversation always turns into, when i have the money ill get one

Usually after the words routing or amp sim or cab is mentioned

The way things are going, consumables will be the only thing left for music stores to sell, then supermarkets will recognise a "new sales opportunity" and we'll all be selecting our guitar strings somewhere between the milk and frozen chickens.

An axe player walks into a music store to buy some new strings. After putting them on he gets straight on the Internet and complains loudly in the manufacturers forum that the new strings have completely changed his sound and now he has to go through all his patches and make adjustments.

Last edited:
G'day Rook,

Yes - I must admit - some of us are getting a little precious lately! Lets hope people realise the magic we are getting, and the value of the constant work and updates the Fractal team get up to.

Pauly

An axe player walks into a music store to buy some new strings. After putting them on he gets straight on the Internet and complains loudly in the manufacturers forum that the new strings have completely changed his sound and now he has to go through all his patches and make adjustments.

funnily enough the guitar store i usually go to got offered exclusive rights to distribution in the UK for Fractal products (or so they say) and turned it down thinking it would be a flash in the pan.

They are still unhappy about that decision!

Yall need to learn about some amazon prime. I ship everything to my door.

Strings? Come to me!
Picks? Come to me!
Guitar? COME TO ME!
Straps? Leave'em on the porch!
Mouse pad? Yeah....just ring the doorbell.
Shoes? Just leave the box in front of the door!
Cables? *click* come to me!
Tools?.....you guys see how this is going.

And with prime + whatever deals you can scrounge up, you'll never have to pay big box store prices for your strings again. Plus, I use custom sets for optimized tension so I order bulk packs of singles in the guages I need. Makes life so much easier.

Strings? Come to me!
Picks? Come to me!
Guitar? COME TO ME!

And with prime + whatever deals you can scrounge up, you'll never have to pay big box store prices for your strings again. Plus, I use custom sets for optimized tension so I order bulk packs of singles in the guages I need. Makes life so much easier.
I like going into stores because everything is displayed, so I can actually try it out. Also there are other musicians and employees are almost always musicians and it's good to meet people and talk about gear while the gear is right there.

I agree about convenience of online shopping, but I like to put on some pants and step out of the man cave for the most part.

Strings? Come to me!
Picks? Come to me!
Guitar? COME TO ME!

This. I don't even pay shipping for anything directly through Amazon with Prime, returns for most things are hassle free, and I always get an 8.25% savings right off the top (no sales tax). God bless the internet.

Stores big & small really have next to nothing for me these days.
Camaraderie? Nigga' please! I have friends for that.
Knowledge base? Why do you think I hang out here? All I ever get from most stores are sales pitches.
Try things out? Ever actually tried to put anything through its paces at Guitar Center? With whatever gear they've got on hand to try it through? With their "hey you gonna buy it" wolves on your back?
Hell, I even buy most guitars off TGP. I'll take a small ding and 50% off the retail price any day.

My only exception is for a tech up here in DFW who REALLY knows his shit! (Repairs | Wick's Guitar Shop) I'll listen to that guy, not some kid in GC working off commission.

Last edited:
I like going into stores because everything is displayed, so I can actually try it out. Also there are other musicians and employees are almost always musicians and it's good to meet people and talk about gear while the gear is right there.

I agree about convenience of online shopping, but I like to put on some pants and step out of the man cave for the most part.

Yeah but when youre the smartest, most bestest most dashing MFer around you don't need other people's opinions.

If I see a guitar I want on the interwebz I just ask it if it's gonna be badass or not. Then I shoot bourbon and nyquil until it gives me an answer.

I may never set foot in another music store ever.

Yeah but when youre the smartest, most bestest most dashing MFer around you don't need other people's opinions.

If I see a guitar I want on the interwebz I just ask it if it's gonna be badass or not. Then I shoot bourbon and nyquil until it gives me an answer.

I may never set foot in another music store ever.
LOL...

Back
Top Bottom