So, about those sample rates

HereToday

Experienced
Need some advice here...between purchased IR's and free downloads, the ole IR library has swelled to over 100 GB. I was looking to trim some of that down, when it occured to me that a lot of my stuff may be redundant in terms of sample rates.

Certainly, I will need to keep all the 44.1khz (DAW) and 48 khz (FAS) stuff around. In anticipation of future technology and for posterity sake, I am inclined to keep the 96khz stufff around as well. But, what about the 88.2khz IR's. Seems overly redundant to me and will free a lot of overhead. Anyone here deleting redundant sample rates and living to regret it? Lol.

I keep the 44.1k and 48k wave files and trash those higher. But, I always keep the original ZIP so if I need them at a later time they are handy. No regrets yet, and haven't gone digging for them in a ZIP.

Why not just offload the stuff you don't use to a cheap HD and stick it in a drawer somewhere?

For me, that's the same as deleting it.
Why not just offload the stuff you don't use to a cheap HD and stick it in a drawer somewhere?

For me, that's the same as deleting it. :)

I guess, my real question is, what platforms or purpose does 88.2 khz serve?

Most likely the higher IR are used by DAW plugin or specialty applications. Offhand I know Positive Grid can use 88.2 and 96 kHz. Most amp modelers are 44.1 or 48 kHz.

After unzipping an IR set I delete the ones above 48 kHz as I won't be using them. The IRs and their zips are on a NAS that has plenty of storage, I delete to reduce the clutter of folders and files. Last count my IR directory is over 500,000 files ...

I would delete the 88.2k files if I were you. I don’t know of any modelers that exclusively use that same rate, and in all my years as a session player I’ve never had a producer use that sample rate for their session.

Keep the 96k, 48k, and 44.1k files though. They all have uses depending on what you’re using.

I would delete the 88.2k files if I were you. I don’t know of any modelers that exclusively use that same rate, and in all my years as a session player I’ve never had a producer use that sample rate for their session.

Keep the 96k, 48k, and 44.1k files though. They all have uses depending on what you’re using.

Thank you for that info. Just looking to reduce clutter. This will help.

Well, some further research has left me to understand why 88.2 kHz exists at all. Apparently if you are recording and want a high sample rate for reverbs and such, but later want to commit it to CD, 88.2 supposedly leaves behind less artifacts than 96 kHz. I surmise this has something to do with 88.2 being evenly divisable by 44.1.

Whatever the case: A. This situation does not apply to me and B. I wouldn't be able to hear those artifacts anyway, lol.

You can fairly safely just leave them with the provider and only download what you need. I went back a few weeks ago and re-downloaded some Redwirez IRs I initially purchased like over a decade ago before we thought everything had to be hi-rez (they sound pretty good too!). I suppose there's a risk the provider goes out of business but even still the reputable ones I suspect would still allow for re-download of past purchases.

I just save the highest resolution (24bit-96KHz usually) and delete all the rest, both the axe fx and most plugins will automatically convert the sample rate when you load the IRs and I bet IR producers just convert them anyway to provide all the resolutions, so I can do that by myself (I don't think they shoot every single IR 4 or 5 times)

I just save the highest resolution (24bit-96KHz usually) and delete all the rest, both the axe fx and most plugins will automatically convert the sample rate when you load the IRs and I bet IR producers just convert them anyway to provide all the resolutions, so I can do that by myself (I don't think they shoot every single IR 4 or 5 times)
Exactly! Keep the 96Khz and trash the rest.

Currently most modelers use 48Khz and will auto-convert your 96Khz when importing anyway.

Back
Top Bottom