So about that new Si diode clipping in Q5.xx Drive block

iaresee

Administrator
Hey! I had a bunch of time on my hands today. They gave us the day off at work to vote and seeing as I can't vote I took advantage of a house free of kids to play a bunch of guitar. One of the things I did today was broke out the old Analogman-modded TS-9 pedal. It's one of my few remaining pedals. I true gem of a drive pedal.

It was effortless to make the TS-808 pedal and my real TS-9 sound incredibly similar. 60 seconds of tweaking maybe? Scary simple to do now with the default drive block settings and just a little tweak of the low cut (had to cut a bit more than default -- 869.6 Hz) and then nothing by Drive, Tone and Level. Going back and forth between the two they were very, very, very close.

What really blew me away (and I've mentioned this in the mega thread about the firmware release) is the trailing edge of a held note. That's always been where the not-quite-right behavior of the Drive block has been. But now it is deadly accurate. Indistinguishable decay characteristics from my real life pedal now.

I was also very surprised at how close the Drive, Tone and Level knobs corresponded between the real pedal and the Drive block. Not exactly the same, but close enough so that you could start a real world to model match by just putting those three knobs on the model in the same general positions as the real pedal to get you going.

I should do some clips A/B'ing things I suppose but for now I just wanted to report that it so there now when it comes to what I believe is the absolute best over drive pedal in the world: the silver modded TS-9 from Analogman.

Edit: now with a ToneMatch screen shot -- scary close.

Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 3.46.09 PM.png

I'm happy with ^^^ that's close enough for me!

Here's a blk file for all you TS-9 lovers out there. Enjoy!

Attachments

• [iaresee] Analogman TS-9 Silver.blk
    235 bytes · Views: 266
Last edited:
Would you mind sharing the blk file for the Pi Fuzz too ? You dialed in a tone that sounds both massive ala a traditional muff, but with the grind that only the v4/5 era op-amp models produced.

Yeah, would love to get the preset that has the TS9 and the Big Muff settings mentioned earlier.

Wonder how easy it would be to replicate my KTR now that the some of the drive blocks have been updated . . .

Thanks for doing this!

This sounds so good - I just had half an hour worth of fun with your block in front of the Carr Rambler - Damn it sings fine

Thank you so much! This looks really promising.

I'm really curious for a matched TS808 to see if there's something magical in it. Most probably not.

Back
Top Bottom