So a question for you guys using the Matrix GT1000FX into a real cab

kmanick

Fractal Fanatic
So I had my buddy over today and we were going thru some patches and we both noticed that there is this "boxy" thing going on
with all of the higher gain amps (it's there on all of them) and there still is this certain 'something" missing, that we can't put our finger on.
he was quite impressed but still felt like it was not 'real amp" feeling....almost but something was missing.
We did happen to dial in an amazing Led Zep House s of the holy patch, (by accident) with the Brit Super
Most of my patches are dialed in to work for recording and thru my RCF, what do you guys do to get that "ooomph" thru a real cab?
I noticed the Sag is at about 9:00 on most of my patches and I'm thinking "is that what's missing"? but he took his Orange cab with him (he has gigs this weekend)
and my Avatar Cab won't be here until the end of next week, so right all I have is my RCF.
what do you guys do differently to get that 'real feel" ?

I think the GT1000FX puts out what you put in so to speak. In other words when I was using my two Marshall 4x12s, the Marshall amp emulations sounded awesome as well as other "hot rod Marshall amps", etc. When using something like a Recto though, it won't translate as well because Marshall cabs were not meant for a Recto amp.

I ended up getting rid of my Marshall cabs, mainly because I don't need that much gear at home but also because I want to use the Matrix GT1000FX with FRFR so I can take advantage of the cab emulations. If I were out gigging though, I'd have no problem plugging the Matrix into a big 4x12. I got some great sounds with it.

Did you have the cab sims on by any chance?

Cab are sims off. don't get me wrong it sounds good but it's still ......"this thing". it's like the signal is incomplete. When I turn on the cab sims it gets much, much warmer and sharper sounding. the difference between going thru a V30 IR and a Real V30 cab is much bigger than I would expect it to be.
I did fool with the LF not much change there. I just did a system reset , but like I said above I no longer have the cab, so any testing from here on out will not occur until next week :(

man, i hope my new poweramp purchase, GT1000FX, does not disappoint me. its scheduled to be delivered by the end of today.
am going to plug it into a 1960bhw cab.

im using the matrix GT1000FX and i felt like the amp sims sounded a bit thin and not as full range as a real head. i play high gain as well and i found that the dynamic depth knob in the amp block made a huge difference. before learning how to use that the amp sims felt small compared to the real thing but that really made thing full and have that power behind the tone. now my patches sound just like the real amps..

just received the GT1000FX.
Played through it for an hour - it does sound not too bad, could be better if I tweaked more. I am only playing the default patches from Fractal. Any tips to setting up LF resonance or the dynamic depth knob? So far I found setting the LF resonance at around 103hz to be the best.

One disappointment was that the knob for Channel B is not placed exactly at the center like Channel A. The knob rubs onto the metal panel and is difficult to turn! I wonder if matrix QC their amps before sending it out. :(

That channel knob doesnt sound right. The shaft runs through the centre and there is a gap - its designed like that, however if the shaft gets bent - it could end up like you describe, and could possibly have been done during shipping (if it was dropped).

Contact Matrix.

On the sounds - Design your own patches from scratch. All the default ones are designed for FRFR and dont really sound right through a real cab (unless yours is exactly the same as the cab ir used) - no matter what the amp.

just received the GT1000FX.
Played through it for an hour - it does sound not too bad, could be better if I tweaked more. I am only playing the default patches from Fractal. Any tips to setting up LF resonance or the dynamic depth knob? So far I found setting the LF resonance at around 103hz to be the best.

One disappointment was that the knob for Channel B is not placed exactly at the center like Channel A. The knob rubs onto the metal panel and is difficult to turn! I wonder if matrix QC their amps before sending it out. :(

Hi there,
I am sorry that your knob is not centered.
We do soak test and visually inspect every amp in the production facility as part of the build process. We have even designed the packaging to try and ensure that all of our creations get to our customers hands in the same condition that we packed them.
Please do send me a photo to matt@matrixamplification.com and I shall see what we can do.
I look forward to hearing from you.

My best regards
Matt

Hi Matt, not sure if my email got through to you, but here is the picture of the knob.

20130515_192201_zpsa9fb2efd.jpg

That doesnt look bad actually. The knobs arnt always dead centre - there attached to a board but unlike other manufacturers there not attached to the chassis in any way. The idea I believe is that if the knob takes a bash there is some flexibility and the chassis acts as a stop. If it were attached, or tight through the chassis then the knob is more likely to snap off with a knock.

That said - the side of the knob shoudnt be in contact with the chassis itself - it should be free. Yours does look a little close for comfort - could be the angle of the photo - but if you say its rubbing then IMO its too close. Matt will get back to you for sure.

Back
Top Bottom