So, a Forment Filter (Talk Box) when using MFC 101 and the two pedals are hard wired elsehwere

grumpops

Inspired
Current Setup
Mission pedal attached to SW 1+2 and Exp Pedal 1.
This is hard wired to wah.

Fractal EV-1 to Expression Pedal 2.
And I believe this is hardwired, internally from all I can gather, to volume.

I need to be able to turn on/off the Forment filter and use a pedal.
I Have a second Fractal EV-1...but wasn't wanting to carry a third pedal that doesnt' fit on the pedal board.

Is there a way to manipulate the software to allow me to use what would normally be the Toe Switch on/off for Way to be, for just this preset, the on/off for the forment filter?

Really trying to avoid having to add a third Exp Pedal

The coffee hasnt' kicked in yet so I hope I asked that coherently...lol

Last edited:
What do you mean "hard wired"?

Sounds like you have Sw1 assigned to control Wah bypass in your preset? And Exp1 assigned to Control of Wah block...

Unassign them (or remove Wah from the preset) and then assign to bypass and control of the Formant block instead.

Thought I'd read...damn, it's been a while since I set this pedal up and never program it..so, forgot a bunch of what I "knew" as I was doing it.
Thought Id' read that the way I connected it, those were pre assigned as master volume and Wah....??? Damn...better pull out the manual again...

Thought I'd read...damn, it's been a while since I set this pedal up and never program it..so, forgot a bunch of what I "knew" as I was doing it.
Thought Id' read that the way I connected it, those were pre assigned as master volume and Wah....??? Damn...better pull out the manual again...
Possibly in some factory presets... But still changeable.

It's been almost a year since I did this and I've forgotten everything I did in setup.
On all the presets with a Wah (forment preset doesn't have a way block)....the BYPASS is blank (NONE)...Control is Ext 1 which is the pedal.
(Assuming EXP1 input is Ext 1?)....
So, I'm not sure where the Bypass is coming from but it works..

Wait...The plug that's plugged into SW 1 + 2...
If I can find a list of CC's and what effect they belong to..can't I go to the MIDI menu and make SW2, which is currently unassigned, be what turns on/off the Forment Filter in that preset?

Ok...good plan..doesn't work...lol
Edit> setup> XS2...set toTOGGLE...
Edit> Midi> XS2...set to CC 058(Formant Bypass)....
Save.
Nothing happens..
AM I missing a step, like how to tell the system to see the switch on the RING of the plug for this preset?

Damn...two computer degrees..computer engineer for 20 years..can't figure this freakin thing out...lol

Last edited:
Luckily the preset I'm using has Forment on through the whole song.
So...Ext 1 is the pedal part of the SP1.
It controls the Forment....I don't need to turn it on/off...screw it...I'm wasting practice time with this.
I can't turn it off but it works when I'm on the preset

Ok...Mission SP1 (with toe switch)....out 1 from Mission plugged into EXP 2....That's the pedal (up/down)
Out 2 (Toe switch) goes to Switch 1+2.

The defaults for those two inputs are the Wah block.
Toe switch turns it on / off.
Pedal is control.

TRS cables being used.

On the MFC Midi page...XS1 is Set to TOGGLE and the CC character is 097...wah 1 bypass.
Exp 1 is modifier 1 to the FX.
I then set, on the same page, XS2, to Toggle and the CC to 058..Forment bypass.

However, that does nothing...
So if there's a step I'm missing, it's to make this preset see XS2 as bypass.

On the MFC Midi page...XS1 is Set to TOGGLE and the CC character is 097...wah 1 bypass.
Exp 1 is modifier 1 to the FX.
I then set, on the same page, XS2, to Toggle and the CC to 058..Forment bypass.

However, that does nothing...
So if there's a step I'm missing, it's to make this preset see XS2 as bypass.
there's only 1 switch on the Mission pedal right?

if there's only on switch and it's corresponding to XP1, then there is no 2nd switch corresponding to XP2. there's one switch.

The reading said that's why I need a TRS plug for the Toggle switch..That's why it says SWITCH 1 AND 2...because BOTH are addressable.

Regardless, in THIS situation..it works....because I don't turn off the Forment/talk box through the entire song.
But..if I encounter a situation where I need that Toe switch to work differently on the Mission pedal (The Fractal Pedal doesn't have a toe switch..it's ether dedicated expression pedal or a dedicated volume pedal depending on which plugs you use...)
then it will be an issue.

In all other respects..I love the MFC after years with a Roland FC300 and a Midibuddy to change presets....
I love the two way communication.
I should have gotten TWO mission pedals instead of two fractal pedals and a Mission SP1...I would have a second pedal to attach to an external switch..

From the Manual:

EXTERNAL SWITCH CONNECTIONS

External Switch Inputs: 4 But only two INPUTS for a plug...Switch 1+2 and switch 3+4

Connectors: 2 x ¼” TRS phone jacks (2 switches per connector)

Format: Compatible with Toggle or Momentary switches
So, I should be able to control....two different external switches with the one toe switch on the Mission...
If I'm reading this correctly (and I certainly may not be)...pressing the toe switch IF XS2 is selected as active and has a CC attached should be able to be used to bypass individual effects that aren't a wah....by just using the CC of the bypass for whatever effect I want to control with the pedal...Wah and Formant are actually the only

Last edited:
The reading said that's why I need a TRS plug for the Toggle switch..That's why it says SWITCH 1 AND 2...because BOTH are addressable.
yes, if you use 2 switches, not one. switches can function with a TS cable. the TRS and 1+2 capability is so you can use a TRS Y-cable to split to two TS cables and 2 separate switches.

if you want the SP1 switch to work on different things, assign the Switch to an External controller, rather than the Wah block specifically. then assign that External Controller to the Bypass parameter of whatever you want to turn on/off per preset. More options but more setup per preset.

Connectors: 2 x ¼” TRS phone jacks (2 switches per connector)

So, I should be able to control....two different external switches with the one toe switch on the Mission...
If I'm reading this correctly (and I certainly may not be)...pressing the toe switch IF XS2 is selected as active and has a CC attached should be able to be used to bypass individual effects that aren't a wah....by just using the CC of the bypass for whatever effect I want to control with the pedal...Wah and Formant are actually the only
"2 switches per connector" means 2 physical switches - 2 different things, not the same 1 switch.

how are you determining "if xs2 is selected as active"?

LOL All I can determine is it does nothing regardless of how it's set.
I did notice that after playing with it...the Effect is on BYPASS after getting out of the edit screen.
So, 058 is the correct bypass CC...

The manaul states there's FOUR external switches but..there's only TWO female plugs.
Switch 1 + 2 and Switch 3 + 4.
So, does the pedal need to physcially have TWO toe switches for this to work?

It shouldn't be this difficult..

So, does the pedal need to physcially have TWO toe switches for this to work?
Yes. I’ve said this a few times, and the quote from manual you posted said it as well.

“2 switches per connector” means 2 switches. Not 1 switch.

Ok...I'm a visual learner so..it's tough when just using 2 dimensional communication.

So the two switches listed on the MFC are ADDRESSABLE via a TRS but the second switch must physically exist on the pedal.
Ok..got that.
So I can assign the switch to a modifier? (Again, was under the impression I had no choice on where that one went..misread DEFAUT as MANDATORY.)
OMG...
Head>Desk
Head>DESK

Changed XS1 to CC 017....Ext 2....
Now it all works....OMG....
Well, I was CORRECT about one thing..
IT DID NOT HAVE TO BE THIS DIFFICULT and it isn't...

(Note to self..don't go 8 months without actually looking at the internals of your gear once in a while so you don't forget how it works)

And now I have to trundle through a butt ton of presets with a WAH to redo it so there's a Bypass connected to Ext 2.

Back
Top Bottom