Snoop's Journey into Axe-Land

snoop

Dear all,

inspired by Yek's "Incoming! Incoming! Incoming!" thread (and many similar postings), I decided to start my own log of my journey into Axe-Land. I have two reasons to do so:

1. For three years I've been following this great forum as a lurker, enjoying many of the threads that you guys where contributing. Now, I feel it is about time to give something back to the community and to Fractal Audio. It would be great if this thread encourages others to join "the family", keeping this forum the great place it already is.
2. Getting older, I need a place to store my memories! Regarding the Axe, I intend to do this right here.

Before kicking off, let me start by thanking Cliff: You clearly have a mission! And on your way you seem to inspire many great people to make great music by providing an exceptional tool plus the will to make it even better. Day by day. The way you do your business is outstanding. I have never experienced more dedication and customer orientation. You truly deserve to be successful with what you do. I feel previledged to benefit from all the effort you put into Fractal Audio. And I am looking forward to my journey into Axe-Land.

Clearly, this community is an important factor regarding the user experience. I spent countless hours reading all the great stuff, that you fellow forum mates post. It helped me a lot in making up my mind to get myself an Axe. You made me feel "at home" long before joining the party. So, another huge "thank you" goes to countless posters of the past and future. I think it is only fair to say that Yek and Scott P. made a particularly big impact on how I think about the AxeFx. So, here's another thank you for you guys.

And now - let's get this started.

Snoop

Great. I am always pleased with Yek's presets. They seem to transfer to my rig with little modification needed. I would be interested in your use of LIVE also.

I've been playing guitar since 1975. It has always been a hobby to me (I feel previleged to make music to please myself, not to make money). I play in local bands, trying to do some nice jazz stuff. I have allways tried not to buy "latest-and-greatest" gear. But there were moments, when I felt it was about time to get myself a serious new toy. Typically, it stayed with me for many years. Only few things left the house shortly after entering. I own a great vintage ES 175 that I got 30 years ago because it was an opportunity and I fell in love with it, once I saw it. My main guitar is a ES 335. I modded it with TImbuckers and pots and caps from RS Guitarworks. Great guitar for what I make. Bought a Lexicon MPX-1 (that I still have). Later, Lexicon introduced the MPX G2. Had to get one - plus the matching floorboard. By the time I got both, this was an investment nearly double the size of the Axe FX II. I never really fell in love with it: It delivered nice reverb and offered cool routing options. But it was difficult to program and i always found the sounds to be "sterile". I still use it, but I rarely try to find "new sounds" because it simply is a pain in the a**.

I first got to know about the Axe in 2007 (I think). I tried to get as many information about it, as possible. Quickly got the impresion, that I needed one, but couldn't justify to spend that much money. But GAS didn't go away. The longer I followed the discussions, the worse it got. When the Axe II came out, I decided it was about time to get on board. Ordered mine on May 12th, 2011. Today it arrived - finally.

So, here is some evidence that I did it...

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

When I saw the van delivering my unit, I instantly felt the urge to leave office heading home to try out my new puppie. Unfortunately, there's work to be done, so no testdrive before later today.

Last edited:
Guitarbot,

I realy look forward to use the Axe together with Ableton live. I am especially interested in jamming to my own tracks. We'll see how this turns out. I will be posting my findings in this thread.

Here's a list of first impression (in no particular order)

- wow, that box is bigger and heavier than expected
- very well packaged
- yes, G66 threw in the famous chocolate (helps me to get through the day before I can get home and fire it up for the first time)
- G66 even wrote me a personal "Thank you for waiting" note. Now that is customer care at it's best!

IMG_0534.jpg

- Got the manual in English plus a German manual. Nice.
- No USB-Cable (no problem, have many of those)
- sh** - still hours to go, before I can leave the offic ;-)

Great thread! Gotta love that feeling when you open up brand new gear..

My story is quite the same; I've been browsing the forums for about 3-4 years, looked at the videos, listened to sound clips, and really enjoyed the Axe from a distance!

I finally ordered when the AFX II came. Still waiting, it seems it takes time to get these to Europe.

I've ordered Mission EP-1 exp pedals, and have installed Axe-edit on my mac. Now I just have to sell some stuff (I'm a poor music student) and wait :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha.... what is the clock flower thingy.... No chocolate or flower clock in the USA....

Cool... Congrats..

Well, let me put this straigth: No flower thingy in the box! It just happens to sit on that table and I didn't remove it before taking the picture. So please guys, no over-exaggerated expectations. :)

and now for the bad news:
Had a horrible day at the office - suddenly everything had to happen at once. Could not leave early or even in time to start my journey. Even worse: I had to drive back home to pack my bag and fly out for an "emergency visit" at one of our important customers. So, my axe still sits in it's box. Hopefully I can give it a spin tonight.
You see: Life can be tough. With - or without Axe!

folks - still no first impression from actually playing my Axe: I had to stay in the hotel for another day of customer service! So, I'm looging forward to a first ride tonight. Hopefully I can make it back home with all that snow that we got last night.

It's simply not fair: Waited so many months to receive my new toy. Now that it made it's way to my home, I'm forced to stay out... Keeping my fingers crossed for a weekend of uninterupted noodling.

Back
Top Bottom