Snake from pedalboard to Axe-FX?

Kamil Kisiel

Power User
Has anyone built a kind of breakout box / snake to connect from a pedalboard to their Axe-FX in a rack? Reason I'm asking is that this is my current setup:

tempImagekUN522.jpg

Currently it requires 3 cables to go back to the rack... the XLR from the FC6, and then an audio cable and MIDI cable from the guitar. I'm thinking it would be more convenient to just be able to build a breakout box that mounts on the pedal board behind the FC6 where I can plug the guitar audio and MIDI cables into and then run all the signals over either a single multicore cable or maybe even a snake of 3 cables.

Check out PedalSnake... Thank me later.

Used them for years with my old rig.

Easily reconfigurable with the modular pigtails.

Has anyone built a kind of breakout box / snake to connect from a pedalboard to their Axe-FX in a rack? Reason I'm asking is that this is my current setup:

View attachment 96468

Currently it requires 3 cables to go back to the rack... the XLR from the FC6, and then an audio cable and MIDI cable from the guitar. I'm thinking it would be more convenient to just be able to build a breakout box that mounts on the pedal board behind the FC6 where I can plug the guitar audio and MIDI cables into and then run all the signals over either a single multicore cable or maybe even a snake of 3 cables.
LOVE your guitar!! I would SO love to try one of those!

I made one, with an XLR cable, and I bought a dual MIDI cable, and use my old pedal snake pigtails for the power over one side of the dual MIDI cable, and then the other is for MIDI, so no adapters needed.
The pedal snake doesn’t do XLR, since they are all MIDI style cables, so that’s why I did it this way. I will post a picture tomorrow.

I made one, with an XLR cable, and I bought a dual MIDI cable, and use my old pedal snake pigtails for the power over one side of the dual MIDI cable, and then the other is for MIDI, so no adapters needed.
The pedal snake doesn’t do XLR, since they are all MIDI style cables, so that’s why I did it this way. I will post a picture tomorrow.
I never needed XLR so I didn't think about that...

They do actually do XLR but only on custom orders.

It’s great with the AxeFX. It sends a MIDI CC when you touch the pad, or you can latch it with the nearby button, which I use to un-bypass an effect. Then the touchpad itself controls two effects parameters… it’s tons of fun
That's too cool!

This is Jody with PedalSnake. Sorry, this was just brought to our attention. Our RS1-TRS Single GuitarLine (G-Line) Pigtail is easily modified to be an XLR Pigtail. Also, a MIDI cable can work well with a PedalSnake PowerLine (P-Line) Pigtail, but may be noisy if used with a 1/4" G-Line for guitar signal. Also, be aware a MIDI cable may not have wire as heavy as a PedalSnake channel, so it may not carry as much current reliably. But if you've had no problems, you are probably good to go!

Has anyone built a kind of breakout box / snake to connect from a pedalboard to their Axe-FX in a rack?
Haven't needed one for my AXE-FX, but I've done this where needed for many years. I have one for my AX-8 in four-cable config for use with an amp. All my old-school pedal boards use I/O boxes, sometimes buffered, sometimes with connections for amp channel switching footswitches. I haven't bothered with an amp for a couple years now, the Fractal is just too good, and far more practical. I have some great amps going up for sale at some point!

Use you can use multi-conductor cable and roll your own, or simply bunch toghether the cables you need and use Velcro One-Wrap every foot or so. Panduit cable labels for the win. You can also try the woven cable loom materials, but I don't think it really buys you much. Bundles with Velcro is fast, cheap, and easy.

Avoid zip ties, they can hurt when coiling up your cables, and become a nusiance when the inevitable re-configuration happens. And color coded labels seem like a good idea until you're under colored stage lights and some colors disappear.

I don't recommend bringing pets to gigs. Is the idea to have it just slither from your pedalboard to wherever the AxeFX is? What if someone steps on it? I mean, surely there's cooler stage props than that.

I always made mine custom, buying bulk cable and the connectors (straight, right angle) that needed. Typically were: an input cable for the guitar, a pair for the fx loop, and the midi. Then used to braid it and cover it with some kind of flex wrap. Soldering those cables is normally easy.

Best-tronics made several for me. Their work is impeccable and I feel the quality will last me forever, as I baby my gear. The only enemy of such cables in the environments I find myself using them are High Heels from the screaming groupies that rush the stages, or rolling gear carts.

Some of this post is true.

I bought a 10m 8ch snake. Soldered the connections my self. Works like a charm.

1 guitar to axe
2 stereo monitoring (for cabeled inears)
3 midi from pedalside to axe
4 faslink
5 vocal mic to axe (use a low to hi z adapter mounted under the pedalboard)
6 spare line for guitar to axe
7 out 1 l for wedge on stage if needed
8 out 1 r for wedge on stage if needed

It's a heavy cable, but it's clean and fast during setup. Could of course be better, but I lack the proper funding to get my dream setup. Hehe

I’ve had some noise issues with faslink through a cable snake. I’m connecting AXE FX III with FC-6. Any thoughts? Thanks.
This is Jody with PedalSnake. Are you using PedalSnake? We don't have any experience with Faslink, and we can't find any data about the frequenciees involved in Faslink. We know MIDI is quiet thru PedalSnake, but it is a slower data link. The faster the data rate, the more likely noise can be induced into a nearby audio line.

Back
Top Bottom