Smooth high gain distortion vs grainy

The only thing I can tell you that on the last Lanfear album we used a Mesa Recto/Engl combination (Axe-FX I).
At that time there was no Angel Severe so I had the "Energyball" dialed in. The EB is definitely not one of my faves in the Axe-FX and the single sound wasn't that great, but it added a certain "flavour" to the Mesa and everything sounded what you maybe would call smoother. I don't think that I would use two amps on the next album, though. Simply not necessary with the Axe-FX II.

I used OH IRs and I still love all their stuff. My suggestion: If it's too grainy with less gain try out different IR mixes before anything else. Always helped me :)
Thanks! Unfortunately there's really only 2 IR's I like. I bought a bunch of OwnHammer stuff but it sounds too "mic'd" for me. I like normal guitar amp sound more than mic'd sound if that makes any sense. Extremely picky on my IR's.

Yes, I completely understand that. My aim is to get the best of both worlds but in the end we all know that a guitar sound and a guitar sound in a mix are two different things.
I'm in love with the new OH V3. Maybe you find the perfect IR if you try out the different power amps Kevin used. The T1 and T2 versions sound very "guitar driven".
I think they're perfect for a certain live feeling while the SS and T0 versions sound better in a mix.

..i'm still testing all the presets!
This is a great thread, and I discovered yet another awesome sounding band.
Lanfear - The Reverend, the level and mix sounds great!

Yes, I completely understand that. My aim is to get the best of both worlds but in the end we all know that a guitar sound and a guitar sound in a mix are two different things.
I'm in love with the new OH V3. Maybe you find the perfect IR if you try out the different power amps Kevin used. The T1 and T2 versions sound very "guitar driven".
I think they're perfect for a certain live feeling while the SS and T0 versions sound better in a mix.
Hmm, can you point me to the T1 and T2 ones? Not sure if I bought those or not.

For the record, the only stock IR I like is #45 (Soldano). I think it sounds most like cranked guitar to me without severe mic or cabinet coloring. But it still sounds good in the mix for recording.

Hmm, can you point me to the T1 and T2 ones? Not sure if I bought those or not.

For the record, the only stock IR I like is #45 (Soldano). I think it sounds most like cranked guitar to me without severe mic or cabinet coloring. But it still sounds good in the mix for recording.

You can find them in the new Ownhammer V3 vector libraries. I really love those IRs.
I never use the stock cabs.

5153Red and Herbert ch3 are smooth hi-gainers..
also, try darker sounding cabs

be careful though of losing too much high end.. less you become this wooly mush in the mix..

5153Red and Herbert ch3 are smooth hi-gainers..
also, try darker sounding cabs

be careful though of losing too much high end.. less you become this wooly mush in the mix..

Those are some of my favorite amps on the Axe :)

Back
Top Bottom