SMG Not Impressed with DI from AxeFX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why so many people give weight to this guy's opinions. I understand that he does have a fair bit of recording experience and all, but it is not like he's a highly regarded engineer. Basically, he's just another guy on the internet.

There was a very short period of time where he actually had some useful content on recording drums. Since then, I can't stand to listen to him anymore. I wouldn't give him too much attention here though. He'll drag us on his channel and do whiny bitch voice that he likes to do to people that disagree with what he says.

Ah yes the Audio-Rumpelstiltskin back at it again. His entire shtick is to be a "grumpy ranty" guy.
It's nothing other than an act to get attention. Far from professional if you ask me.

While I do think Glenn's videos have certain value when he actually gives some kind of advice on recording/mixing, I'm not fan of his constant demeaning of whoever has a different opinion than his.

What I'm REALLY curious about is if his beef with FAS has anything to do with him trying to get something from the company for his channel... Only explains why he's still bitter and suddenly giving high praise for the "new kid in town" (you know who) coughpaidpromotioncough...

latest

i recall he did a video on a cheap Chinese made condenser (like the cheapest you can get off Amazon, something like that) and he trashed it before the comments lit up that he actually was talking into the rear of a cardioid mic, bc he was paying so little attention to what he was doing. "Engineer". :rolleyes:

Old man yells at clouds again about things he knows nothing about (again). I like Glenn as a person, I honestly do but he needs to stop it with all this click bait stuff he has been doing lately. Its making people hate him.

As far as having to ALWAYS record a DI, screw that. Over the years Ive gotten better at getting sounds I like. If something REALLY isn’t working in a mix totally (really never happens to me these days), I’d really rather just recut and resend if its that bad. If you want to send a DI to reamp that’s fine, but its a way to assure a mix NEVER ENDS. Get good sounds and commit early on in my opinion. It’s kind of like AppleCare to me, I never get it on new devices. I smashed an iPad last year and it was a 700 dollar fix. Still ahead a few grand over not getting AppleCare over the years. So if I ever get a call that my guitars just aren’t working for the track, I’ll eat it and recut. chances are, I’m just the wrong guy for the track and what I heard and played for it isn’t what the artist was looking for anyway.

Another unpopular opinion: if your FX are REALLY together, like you’re in love with your lead sounds, just print them. Always better to send or work with dry tracks, but if you have your sounds together, why bother trying to get close to the exact same thing in the mix?

Ya know what’s funny; I capture a DI for all my final takes of things now, but I also still print 99.9% of my effects when I track and don’t touch them. If I end up re-amping something with effects on it, the effects don’t get touched but the amp will.

For some reason, I’ve had a hair up my ass about EQ’ing guitars in post lately. So what I’ll do is track the song with the amp I assume will be on the final product along with a DI, then when I mix, I’ll run the DI through the AxeFX and tweak in AxeEdit as the song is playing. No more post EQ’ing and I then I save the presets in their mix-ready state, so the next time I use that amp in a song with similar dynamics, I’ll mostly be good to go.

Ultimately, I’ve been learning to let go of a lot of recording/mixing paranoia and that “Is this going to sound good enough when I’m done?”, which is the entire reason I take DI’s to begin with. You’re 100% right, they can be a gateway to a never-ending mix. So far, the way I’ve been mixing using AxeEdit seems to have gotten around that, as long as I don’t tweak anything else after that. And then I remember Devin Townsend’s quote regarding mixing; “Mixing is never finished, only abandoned.” and try to give myself a deadline of when to jump ship.

Old man yells at clouds again about things he knows nothing about (again). I like Glenn as a person, I honestly do but he needs to stop it with all this click bait stuff he has been doing lately. Its making people hate him.
He's like a shock jock trying to juice the indignation for the sake of ratings. Any actual smarts are really diluted by this kind of shlock. And yet here we are, giving him oxygen.

As for ‘my biggest claim to fame is forced-anger/re-mixing a terrible song on a terrible Queensryche record that I didn’t even get paid for’ Fricker....I really can’t believe that shtick is appealing to people. The first time I saw it, probably the video about cupping the mic, I chuckled. After that I kept seeing spots in his videos where you could hear him remembering to yell halfway into a phrase, like “Oh shit, I forgot to do my bread and butter thing!” and it just came off so cheesy and fake that it turned me off immediately.

I actually thought that his channel was the modern version of campy or “it’s so bad it’s good”, but people actually take the shit this guy says like he’s Quincy Jones or Bob Rock.

Then you take someone like Bill Burr, who can do the rage-on-the-spot thing because that’s his natural reaction to life, the dude’s in therapy for it. :D Listen to his podcast for 20 minutes and you’ll hear it pop out. It’s great when he’s reading ads and does it to the ad company, dude loses sponsors all the time for stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom