SMG Not Impressed with DI from AxeFX

Status
Not open for further replies.

MackieFX

Experienced
Here's a timestamp where Glenn is talking about DI tracks. He doesn't go in to detail as to why he's not impressed. Curious to hear this forums thoughts?

Not many (any) busy, successful engineers are posting 3 videos a week on YouTube so take his opinion for what it’s worth. He has a lot of fair content for beginners, but he’s not exactly reinventing the wheel.
as for his delivery and demeanor, at least he’s not like so many other YouTubers with the personality of wallpaper.
as for the DI from the AxefxIII, there’s nothing wrong with it. If you must take a DI, it’s fine.

Thanks for all the comments guys - I figured it wasn't worth listening to but wanted to double check :)

He's talking about electrical noise and seems to be more about your recording computer and environment rather than a guitar processor. In video editing he cuts every 3 seconds so it's just random and non-flowing, mostly negative jabbering. This guy irritates me after about 30 seconds so I couldn't watch all.

For some reason Glen seems to be a longtime critic of Fractal. This goes back to 2015 when he did amp->modeler comparisons and said that you should just spend $500 for a used 5150 instead of pay thousands for an AxeFX, totally neglecting the fact that if you buy the 5150, you have a 5150, whereas with a Fractal unit you get a zillion amps plus effects.

He's talking about electrical noise and seems to be more about your recording computer and environment rather than a guitar processor. In video editing he cuts every 3 seconds so it's just random and non-flowing, mostly negative jabbering. This guy irritates me after about 30 seconds so I couldn't watch all.
Yeah I time stamped the video at the exact moment he mentions it :)

He equated the Axe Fx to the equivalent of an iPad in one video. That’s like saying that it’s the same thing to owning a pinto as it is to a Ferrari as they both can get you to the same place. Funny dude

As far as having to ALWAYS record a DI, screw that. Over the years Ive gotten better at getting sounds I like. If something REALLY isn’t working in a mix totally (really never happens to me these days), I’d really rather just recut and resend if its that bad. If you want to send a DI to reamp that’s fine, but its a way to assure a mix NEVER ENDS. Get good sounds and commit early on in my opinion. It’s kind of like AppleCare to me, I never get it on new devices. I smashed an iPad last year and it was a 700 dollar fix. Still ahead a few grand over not getting AppleCare over the years. So if I ever get a call that my guitars just aren’t working for the track, I’ll eat it and recut. chances are, I’m just the wrong guy for the track and what I heard and played for it isn’t what the artist was looking for anyway.

Another unpopular opinion: if your FX are REALLY together, like you’re in love with your lead sounds, just print them. Always better to send or work with dry tracks, but if you have your sounds together, why bother trying to get close to the exact same thing in the mix?

This guy doesn’t post a video unless it’s to rant about something... the only things he doesn’t complain about are the products that he gets paid to promote.
Can’t stand him. It’s like the Jerry Springer show for gear.
Totally. So just to be clear, the DI coming out of my 2500 dollar AxeFXIII with premium conversion and components is garbage, but the 150 dollar countryman DI box into a 60 dollar berringer 2 channel interface will be the bees knees. Ok, Glenn. You tell that story 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom