Smallest expression knob

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
I recently posted this in another thread:

"I've ordered the world's smallest expresion pedal (pic below). It plugs right into the port without taking up real estate. If I like it, I'll order two more and have manual control over parameters at my feet."

Well, it has arrived. I think it's an extremely cool device that allows manual manipulation of effects like on a pedalboard, and saves a lot of space on the floor. And it's cheap too. Resistance is 10k.

It works perfectly fine when inserted into a Pedal port at the rear of the FM9 or FM3. (Axe-Fx too but that's less useful.)
Didn't test it with an FC but I guess that should work too.

Alas, not so much with my RJM MIDI controller. Probably because of the polarity: RJM needs pedals to be wired to the ring, and the Expression Knob has the signal wired to the tip. Should have checked this on forehand.

I already have ordered new ones with the correct wiring. :)

View attachment 104819IMG_0828.jpeg

Cool.
I don’t suppose you could open this knew little guy and swap the wires? Maybe not worth the energy, since you already ordered a couple for your GT22.

I saw these right after ordering an EHX Ctrl Knob the other day. Different use cases, but still very interesting!

With a TRS female to male cable you could fasten that knob right onto the guitar. I suppose they should make a female version with a flat surface for mounting on the guitar.

Interesting! How does the pedal work? Or more correctly, how does it function when you work with it?
It’s just like a foot controller, only the knob gets turned, so whatever you want to assign it to do.

I think it’s not something we’d want to change all the time because it’s not as convenient as a pedal, especially during a performance, but would be useful for global-changes, maybe to reduce lows in all cab blocks because a stage or room rumbles. It’d be faster than navigating to a global setting and wouldn’t need to take up a global per-performance knob, and wouldn’t reset itself.

It’s a gizmo, and gizmos are good.

Last edited:
This is brilliant, great find @yek, I've just ordered two.

For as long as I can remember, I've had an expression knob to adjust my lead volume boost. It's a GEQ with the output volume set with the expression knob between 0-8dB. At 12 o'clock, this gives me a lead volume boost of 4dB which works great if there's another guitar player or keyboardist, and I set it slightly less if there's no other guitar player or keyboardist. I have set it slightly higher if the band is particularly excited. And at home I set it all the way off which means I can practice with no volume increase with scenes. Very handy, and with one of these little expression pedals, it will be even less realestate needed to achieve this.

"I've ordered the world's smallest expresion pedal (pic below). It plugs right into the port without taking up real estate. If I like it, I'll order two more and have manual control over parameters at my feet."

Well, it has arrived. I think it's an extremely cool device that allows manual manipulation of effects like on a pedalboard, and saves a lot of space on the floor. And it's cheap too. Resistance is 10k.

It works perfectly fine when inserted into a Pedal port at the rear of the FM9 or FM3. (Axe-Fx too but that's less useful.)

Alas, not so much with my RJM MIDI controller. Probably because of the polarity: RJM needs pedals to be wired to the ring, and the Expression Knob has the signal wired to the tip. Should have checked this on forehand.

View attachment 104819View attachment 104822

Wow! Thanks for sharing the info Yek!

View attachment 104819View attachment 104822
Very cool Yek... I'm also looking at this for an RJM GT16. Did you contact the manufacturer to make custom wired ones for you... I don't see it as option on their site.. Thanks

Very cool Yek... I'm also looking at this for an RJM GT16. Did you contact the manufacturer to make custom wired ones for you... I don't see it as option on their site.. Thanks

Yes, just contact him.

Back
Top Bottom