Smaller venues (no PA)... opinions on Axe-Fx III with FRFR only?

I have hostEd jam nights with 2 EV's 112's. One as stage monitor, one to the crowd mono. That was suitable for duo's, single players, bass and tasteful drummers. not everyone wants their head torn off and that worked for the room and say 100 ish people.

I'm using a Mission Gemini II for bar/small room gigs and it kicks butt. Wired in stereo so effects sound killer and the sound disperses wider from the speakers so it can be heard from anywhere on stage. I have also gone direct in small venues but, it's actually more of a pain because bass and drums are usually not going direct so it takes more time to balance levels and EQ. Honestly, my only complaint with the Gemini II is the weight. It's 68 lbs. so it's a schlep for sure. I have portable dolly that works fine to load and out so not too bad. I actually miss loading in for a gig right now. It's been a while. :(

I have used an AX8 with a single Atomic CLR frfr for club/bar gigs for several years with good results. I will say there times when the band gets ridiculous with stage volumes. Those are the only times when I have difficulty hearing the CLR when I move further away.

I have since replaced the AX8 with an AxeFX3. Unfortunately I have yet to play out live with it since all our gigs to date have been cancelled. Looks like I'll have a shot to hear it live towards the end of June. Just in case, I plan on using 2 CLRs which should give me better coverage.

I used to try to have the FRFR "carry the room", used QSC K12/k10/k8 and also the friedman ASM12-R. In the end, especially outdoors and/or with a loud drummer I couldn't keep up without just blasting everyone on stage as well. In the end it's better to have a wedge for you and still go into the PA, even if it's just a pair of 12Inch wedges on stands.

One of the main benefits for using a power amp and regular guitar cab to "carry the room" is that since most cabs are very directional, you can get your volume exactly where you need it and it's mainly for your benefit. Obviously YMMV depending on speakers, cab etc.

I used one QSC K12 for better part of 10 years stood up, and then the CLR for the last 3 or so and I also stand it up, I don't like it pointing at my ears. Both are plenty for any type of gig I could throw at them.
I use 2 QSC 10s, plenty of power for most gigs, works very well with the axe 3 . beautiful sound.

I used to try to have the FRFR "carry the room", used QSC K12/k10/k8 and also the friedman ASM12-R. In the end, especially outdoors and/or with a loud drummer I couldn't keep up without just blasting everyone on stage as well. In the end it's better to have a wedge for you and still go into the PA, even if it's just a pair of 12Inch wedges on stands.

One of the main benefits for using a power amp and regular guitar cab to "carry the room" is that since most cabs are very directional, you can get your volume exactly where you need it and it's mainly for your benefit. Obviously YMMV depending on speakers, cab etc.
Totally agree for outdoor and larger rooms. The FRFR's don't sound as good in those settings. In a few cases, for outdoor and larger stage gigs, I have asked for two wedges. I have one wedge set up in front of me with vocals, other instruments and a little of my guitar and a separate wedge on one side or behind me where the mix is only my guitar. That has worked really well and the combo allows me to hear the guitar very well without being too loud and I end up hearing the rest of the band much better. Worth a try IMO. Also, reduces the schlep considerably. You just need to make sure the sound crew has enough wedges and they are decent.

I have used an AX8 with a single Atomic CLR frfr for club/bar gigs for several years with good results. I will say there times when the band gets ridiculous with stage volumes. Those are the only times when I have difficulty hearing the CLR when I move further away.

I have since replaced the AX8 with an AxeFX3. Unfortunately I have yet to play out live with it since all our gigs to date have been cancelled. Looks like I'll have a shot to hear it live towards the end of June. Just in case, I plan on using 2 CLRs which should give me better coverage.

Same exact situation - got the III from the AX8 and then the world closed. Was so bummed, although I will say with all the down time I've really dialed in some presets for the shows that will totally rock!

I did get to do one rehearsal with the III and just a Headrush 1x12 FRFR and it sounded awesome, band thought so too.

I'm asking because I drive my Mesa Boogie cabinets using a Seymour Duncan Powerstage (without a cab block in my presets) and feel like I'm not getting all that the AXE FX III has to offer. That's why I'm looking at FRFR.

Anybody knows good passive two way cabinets? That also could be a solution using the Powerstage...

If I have played at the venue before, and know the PA... I will just use the club PA. For a club I dont know, I bring my own speaker.

I use 2 friedman asc-12's powered cabs with my axe fx 3

Attachments

• ASC-12-large.jpg
    ASC-12-large.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
After digging a little bit deeper I realize that the FRFR subject is old and repetitive :)

I think that to not screw up I need to get an Atomic CLR Neo MK II...

The only reason not to have a PA is no vocalist in the band? If you've got vocals use the PA for sure

Atomic CLR Cab acquired today. Mint with padded cover. Just tried it. It's a completely different ball game... I'm happy.

Back
Top Bottom