Small Stereo Combo Amp Suggestions

jiagap

Inspired
Hi all,

I am on the waiting list for an AX8. I had an Ultra and ran it through a nice pair of FBT powered monitors. The sound was great, but it was more than I want to set up every time I play.

So now I am considering what to play the AX8 it through. I love working in stereo but don't want to set up 2 monitors each time with cables and power cords. I am thinking a small combo stereo amp something like a KC-110. I do not need much power as I only play in a small church and home. But I want it to sound good. Any alternative ideas out there to the Roland option?

Grab and go: AX8, guitar, amp....

http://www.proaudiostar.com/roland-...--hvmbKSK7JOVRf3sQiK13Q5z-6lB7FN7AaAvDj8P8HAQ

Well, I guess it also depends how much you would like to invest…

For the "cheap but does the job" I'm using a small Behringer GMX210 2x30W stereo combo I have lying around somewhere, it's not the ultimate amplification (it is far from that :) ) but it's cheap, has stereo return inputs which lets you connect any preamp / FX unit and its loud enough, really.

There is also the big brother, Behringer V-Tone GMX212 2x60w.
BTW, these combos are old version, there are much more new ones now, check Behringer website for more imfo.

Other than that? Well for a best portable stereo amplification setup I would cary a 2U rack with a Matrix 1000FX amp and a Matrix NL212 (stereo 2x12 cab) but again, this is much more expensive and a lot to carry and setup every time.

The idea of a stereo combo is the fastest way to get a stereo amplification setup, no doubt.

2 x PL cables from you Preamp / FX unit and that's it!

Anyway, I think the Roland you have mentioned would be better as it kind of a full range amp which the Behringer is not, it's a guitar combo.

Thanks for the responses. Yes, the goal is grab and go, combo all in one.

I had not considered the JC40, just watched a youtube - it looks quite cool - though the on board distortion sucked, but I would not use that anyway with the AX8.

Question: The JC40 is a guitar amp and the KC-110 is a keyboard amp. What would be the pluses and minuses of each to using the amp modeler in the AX8?

Any other options?

Thanks again

I don't know if you could get stereo in on a JC-40, especially as I would think you want to put the AX8 into the effect return loop. You need to use an effect send/return loop to bypass a guitar amplifiers pre-amp that will colorize the signal. Dedicated keyboard amps' pre-amplifiers don't do this -- or should not.

I use a Roland JC 40 live with my AxeFx 2XL , STEREO , in the effects loop ( no preamp from Jc40) . It is not Full Range , but really great for Live situations . I dont have to adjust Eq on my live presets . I love my JC40 , even if it's not as good sounding as the CLR or QSC'S..

I've got a Trace TA100R I'm eventually going to try running my Axe-FX through. It has power amp inputs so I can totally bypass all the tone shaping up front.

My only concern is how well the speakers will handle the signal.

I did this a long time ago (with a different modeler, but still...) using a Traynor K4 stereo keyboard amp.

If you're using the stereo rig as a monitor, just be aware that you'll have a very small space where you can actually experience the stereo effect from a single cabinet.

If you plan to use the stereo rig as backline, you may as well collapse your signal to mono if you really want to use a single cabinet.

I use a Fender mustang iii v1 as my means to amplify the axe fx. If you go into the effects return it bypasses the modeling and the speaker works really well with the axe and the cabinet IRs. The mustang IV v1 should be available pretty cheap used and has the left and right speakers of it's 2x12 cab set up in stereo. I can't recommend the mustang amp highly enough.

I use a Fender mustang iii v1 as my means to amplify the axe fx. If you go into the effects return it bypasses the modeling and the speaker works really well with the axe and the cabinet IRs. The mustang IV v1 should be available pretty cheap used and has the left and right speakers of it's 2x12 cab set up in stereo. I can't recommend the mustang amp highly enough.

This would be a good idea, but see this web page, looks like you need a Mustang IV or V to get stereo with the return loop into amp and I assume you want stereo out from AX8.

http://www2.fender.com/support/arti...-loop-on-the-fender-mustang-iii-v-amplifiers/

Yep. You would definitely need the IV as it's a 2x12, but it should be stereo in that config. My III is mono. Does the AX8 have stereo outs? If so, then the IV would work.

Yes, it has stereo out. Thus you need a send/return loop with stereo support in case you want to preserve the stereo field from the unit.

I have a JC120 with stereo return jacks. I can feed the axe output straight into these returns with pretty good results. Not full range and the amp does add color. Comparing with a crown d150-a (an old but very nice amp) you can really tell a difference, the crown amp being significantly better. The jc120 amp is muddier and doesn't seem to respond as fast. I am using a $400 12" EV pa speaker and although mono, it sounds better than the roland amp and is easier to move around.

Just buy a QSC K10 or 2 for stereo. Or a k10 and K12. Frfr and very simple to set up get the sound you want. I have done this for open jams. And they are very light.

Just buy a QSC K10 or 2 for stereo. Or a k10 and K12. Frfr and very simple to set up get the sound you want. I have done this for open jams. And they are very light.
Do you think it makes sense to revive a thread that's been dead for 2.5 years? :)

Back
Top Bottom