Small Stand for Pole Mountable Cabs

fox5150

Inspired
Hey folks,

I'm planning (always dangerous!) for my eventual transition to using the Axe-FX as my sole rig and am quite intrigued by pole mounting the cab. I've got a set of PA speaker stands but they have quite a large footprint. I was wondering if anyone knew of a smaller version that lifts maybe 3-4 foot in the air? I've searched the forum and had a bit of a Google, but no joy.

Thanks,

Simon

Love an answer on this as well. Use the typical OnStage stands now, and while the tripod is awesome it sure does take up floor space.

I made monitor stands out of 4" PVC with a toilet flange on both ends screwed to 3/4" wood for the base and top. I have KRK V'8s on them. I filled the PVC with sand also. Maybe something like this will do.

Well, it arrived today and it is incredibly light and compact. I don't have the cab to put on it yet, so no action shots, but it certainly seems like it's ideal.

I have been looking (without success) to find a speaker stand that would put the top of the speaker at about 5 feet. I have some Ultimate Support stands and noticed I could remove the adapter clamp at the top of the lower stand and cut that down with a pipe cutter and lower the entire rig. I didn't want to chop up my light stands, so I am going to order one and try it. I'll report on it later.

Ultimate Support TS-70 | Sweetwater.com

Here is the result of the speaker stand listed above. I posted this into another thread on stands as well, so excuse the duplication if you happen to read both!

I bought the Ultimate Support TS-70B from Sweetwater, $49.00. It's black, with strong square sectioned legs, and looks pretty nice. First surprise was it was much shorter than my old Ultimate light/speaker stands, just a shade over 41" closed (the old stands were a whopping 60" closed). This is good news, as shorter is the goal here. I opened it up so the legs were out at about 45 degrees from the upright, and it only grew an inch or so in height. As the NX12SMA is less than 11 inches side edge to center, that still puts the speaker center well under 5 feet off the ground, which puts you in the dispersion cone without being directly centered in the line of fire. I think this is going to work out perfectly, and will be trying it on stage later today.

If, for your purposes, you need it even lower there is about 7.5 inches of pole above the clamp area of the main base, so you could cut off another 4 inches there and drop it even more. I'm quite happy with the dimensions so far, as this is what I was planning on cutting the stand down to in the first place. I'll let you know how it works out. By the way, according to the paperwork with it the stand can go as high as 77 inches, if needed. That's somewhere in the vicinity of 2 meters, for the metrically inclined!

I have done some research as I am looking to pole mount a pair of CLRs at 45LBS each. A D.J. named Mike Ryan, invented these Gas powered-neutral buoyancy stands and previously sold them through Ultimate as the Ultimate-Support-TS-100B. The Ultimate Co. was sold and they cheapened the Prod so he started his own company, No more pinching your hands or hurting your back before you play. As of 2013, there are 3 different weight versions, F-1, F-2, and F-3 to achieve neutral buoyancy with different weight speakers, improved mechanics so they don't open in the bag or accidentally, new steel alum alloy for lighter weight / strength and bigger brake pads than the Ultimate stand ! HERE IS VIDEO Frankenstand Web Video - YouTube . He reminds me of Cliff, as he invented it, he constantly upgrades it (UPGRADE VID NEW Frankenstand Overtightening Fix - YouTube ), and you can actually contact him. I just did, he was on his way to a gig, cool guy. Soon, I will have Frankenstein Robot Les Paul guitars, Frankenstein Robot amps, Axe-Fx 2, and now Frankenstand robot stands, That seems to be my style these days, as I am a Frankenstein too, seeing I've had a kidney transplant, LOL Call Mike and speak with him but remember he works on weekends... 1-619-223-7587... if he doesn't answer use the email info@frankenstand.com

Back
Top Bottom