Small Powered monitor, for sustain only..

DigitalTube

Experienced
Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for a very small powered monitor for the purpose of only exciting the pickups of the guitar, to get extra sustain etc..i use custom molded IE monitors and plug direct to FOH, won't even be listening to the monitor, just need it to be on the floor close by, or even mounted on a small stand, i really don't care how good it sounds, like I said, it's not for anyone to hear only to get the GTR pickups to hear it.. :)
I usually have the sound guys just set up a floor powered monitor, and run the 1/4 inch out of the AXE II into that, but I'm thinking of picking up my own, so it just needs to be small, hopefully not too heavy, but loud.. any suggestions?

Thanks.

What is your budget? That dictates everything else.
Behringer Eurolive B212D's are pretty affordable.

Since I won't really be listening to it, i was thinking anywhere up to 6-700 bucks, my main concern is that it has enough power, without too much distortion when I play clean patches, don't want my vocal mic or other mics onstage to be picking up my clean GTR sounds distorted and have it end up on the FOH, don't really care about sound quality as long as it's loud and clean , and small :)
I've been doing some research today and found the little Mackie one too, which seems similar to the Behringer, I guess i'll have to try them, don't think they'll have enough power to do it, but you never know..so I'm looking to check as many as possible, but it's something i never looked for before, not really sure how many choices i'll have.. :)
Thanks.

Sorry Funeral, I thought that Behringer Eurolive B212D's you mention was the little ones with the 5 or 6 inch speaker, like the little one Mackie makes that's like 150 watt's, the Eurolive B212D's is like 500 watts!!!, so ya it should have plenty of power, doesn't look that heavy either.. just wish it was a bit smaller, but of course it's a 12 " speaker..

I use EV ELX112p's and they rock. About $600 new a piece and get VERY loud with just one.

Those EV's are pretty nice, specially for the price, I've used them a bunch of times, one of the sound companies we work with uses them for floor monitors for the guys in the band that don't use IE Systems, so ya those are on top of my list, they'r almost too nice for my purpose :)

FBT 8ma 8inch coaxial, 100degree spread. B&C drivers. Good stuff.
Good for feedback. Gets the mids/upper mids singing which makes sense because it's designed to cut in that range, and theres a lot of clarity there as well. Been gigging full time with one for a couple years. At 200 watts should get loud enough and stays clean/holds together very well.

There's one on sale here for $450 with a cover - cover could have carry handle as well.

They're so small, might want to get it about foot off the ground. They're little rockers, and tough/dense - 27lbs.. Mine has dumped off my dolly more than a few times onto concrete. Works great.

solo-act,

The Mackie HD1221 ROCKS! It is very loud, clean, & flat....and it is in your price-range basically!

Bill

solo-act,

The Mackie HD1221 ROCKS! It is very loud, clean, & flat....and it is in your price-range basically!

Bill
That Mackie is 50lbs, 24x15x15. The OP was looking for a "very small" powered monitor.

What I like about the FBT 8ma is the frequency separation in the mids/high mids, very helpful when you want to excite specific guitar frequencies into feedback. My guitar feeds back at lower volumes with the 8ma than my 12" RCF mains. I think the flavor of the mids on that box and the coaxial design are why this happens.

True dat...

That Mackie is 50lbs, 24x15x15. The OP was looking for a "very small" powered monitor.

What I like about the FBT 8ma is the frequency separation in the mids/high mids, very helpful when you want to excite specific guitar frequencies into feedback. My guitar feeds back at lower volumes with the 8ma than my 12" RCF mains. I think the flavor of the mids on that box and the coaxial design are why this happens.

Yes, the HD1221 is probably a bit too big/heavy for his/their needs - LOL!

The OP brings up a very interesting (and important for many guitarists, myself included) point for anyone looking to use iem's and FRFR (I.E: no traditional "guitar-cabs") but still want to have that reactive feedback potential between the instrument and some speaker-source! I've often thought about how I would be able to address (desirable/wanted) guitar-feedback without much (if any) stage volume? Obviously one cannot not include the iem's themselves, which are rendered useless for onstage "guitar-pickup/speaker excitation-feedback?!?"

WTFTD?

OP/DigitalTube, please let us all know what you come up with and how well it works, because this is very important for anyone who:

1.) Wants to use (or already uses) iem's.
2.) Needs/uses "reactive feedback" as part of their electric-guitar playing-style.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Yes, the HD1221 is probably a bit too big/heavy for his/their needs - LOL!

The OP brings up a very interesting (and important for many guitarists, myself included) point for anyone looking to use iem's and FRFR (I.E: no traditional "guitar-cabs") but still want to have that reactive feedback potential between the instrument and some speaker-source! I've often thought about how I would be able to address (desirable/wanted) guitar-feedback without much (if any) stage volume? Obviously one cannot not include the iem's themselves, which are rendered useless for onstage "guitar-pickup/speaker excitation-feedback?!?"

WTFTD?

OP/DigitalTube, please let us all know what you come up with and how well it works, because this is very important for anyone who:

1.) Wants to use (or already uses) iem's.
2.) Needs/uses "reactive feedback" as part of their electric-guitar playing-style.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Bill, I have been using IE systems for like 10 years, we usually have a pretty decent size PA, but with just IE system without any kind of GTR speaker onstage, traditional amp/cab, or FRFR, I felt something was missing when just going direct to FOH, I've been lucky to have the sound company provide me with some kind of powered floor monitor, which is only used for the GTR, I use the XLR's to FOH and the 1/4 inch mono out to the small monitor, for me it's a HUGE different..I set the level just loud enough, it's works very nice for extra sustain/feedback, honestly I can't go back to not having it, that's why I want to buy my own to use at rehearsals, and in those situations where I know they won't have one for me to use.. so far the FBT 8ma look like a great choice, I'm in no big rush so I'll try a few and see how it works out.
Thanks to all you guys for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom