Small/Portable/Cheap Speaker

phillyred79

Inspired
Any suggestions for a super small speaker/monitor with 0 latency to use for practice when I don’t want to use headphones? Some of those small bluetooth speakers with aux inputs induce enough latency to be annoying...

Bluetooth is always going to have some latency, something wired will work far better

tons of great low cost studio monitors on the market, or something like a head rush 108 works too and you can get one for under $200. Sounds great and gets amazing LOUD if you want

Bluetooth is always going to have some latency, something wired will work far better

tons of great low cost studio monitors on the market, or something like a head rush 108 works too and you can get one for under $200. Sounds great and gets amazing LOUD if you want
I definitely am not looking for bluetooth connection (very well aware of atrocious latency), just using that as an example of those really small speakers they sell at drugstores etc.. I’ve tried soundbars, small Bose SoundTouch etc, but need something simple with no audio processing and simple drivers. Would something like this or similar provide zero latency?

Attachments

• 1323E147-94F3-4D98-8F18-920A23F4CA56.jpeg
    1323E147-94F3-4D98-8F18-920A23F4CA56.jpeg
    536.3 KB · Views: 17
If it plugs in with a cord, then there should be no latency, but it’s also probably going to sound like playing your guitar out of a $20 speaker......
I’d look for a jbl305, Eris4 etc if you want small and relatively cheap, but still able to actually sound good.

Been using a Bose sound link since 2015 with a stereo minijack cable with adapters on OUT1, it clearly does not equal any rehearsal or gig equipment in matters of definition, but no unsupportable latency and much fun.

Thanks everyone!
The little $30 or so JBL clips but the ones with a cable or aux input still work great for me.

Exactly what I was looking for! Found a pair of the original JBL Clips new in a box on eBay. Is the simplest way to run them in stereo just to run a stereo to mono splitter out of the headphone jack and mono 3.5mm to the aux in of each Clip?

Thanks everyone!

Exactly what I was looking for! Found a pair of the original JBL Clips new in a box on eBay. Is the simplest way to run them in stereo just to run a stereo to mono splitter out of the headphone jack and mono 3.5mm to the aux in of each Clip?

yes. I have a splitter cable. But I have to use adapters on the other end. I should check mono price or another company that sells cables it’s be great to have a mini 1/8 inch stereo to two mono 1/8 inch all male ends.

right now I use a 1/8 stereo male end cable to two 1/4 male end s , you can find those all day long. I have to use the 1/4 female to 1/8 mono male adaptors plugged into the JBL clips you could also just plug into on clip with your full stereo sound but I like to spread the speakers out a little :0)

FYI those USB-powered Creative Pebble desktop speakers I listed above have 0 latency. They arrived today and seem to do a decent job. Didn’t turn them up real loud, but for $20 not a bad portable stereo solution. JBLs are on their way too so it will be interesting to see/hear the difference, but I do like that the JBLs are rechargeable.

I’ve never had latency when using the analog connection of those small Bluetooth speakers.
Yeah, I think it depends if they use a dsp chip or whatever to enhance the sound. I’ve experimented with a few of these cheaper types now and you would think just the aux in would be a simple “pass-thru” but even then some slightly process the signal resulting in latency. I mean obviously it’s like putting your Hyundai’s spare tire on a Porsche and hoping for good performance. @Larry Mitchell even mentions in his video above that the newer versions of those JBL Clips started introducing latency as they improved the sound.

Back
Top Bottom