Small FRFR.

Descom

So - I have an atomic CLR Neo MKii. But it's too big. Not weight wise - but for carrying. I seriously need something smaller. I might have to sell this! Where I live the size is just not feasible. Any recommendations or has anyone made such a thing as a small but good frfr yet?

Cheers.

How small are you looking for? How loud do you need it to be?
How about Matrix FR10? Or Xitone 10"? If you wanted to, go PA route and something like QSC K8 is tiny.
Where are you located? There's also BlueAmps Home or Blue 3.

I have Matrix FR12 and CLR. The Matrix is extremely portable. It sounds great, but is beamier and not as transparent as the CLR. I still play out with the CLR because it sounds better.

Small FRFR has not quite caught on yet when it comes to something that can hang with drums bass etc. Anything smaller than a 10" solution doesn't carry that well and are usually hyped somewhere in the response.

Most popular are the Yamaha DXR10, but from the way it sounds it has a pronounced midrange about it which may be a good thing? Yorkville NX10C is something that I haven't played through yet but looks interesting, relatively small and light but not massively powerful.

Then there is QSC, FBT, dB but those are all kind of in the same boat but might have something to offer for your needs. Short of using studio monitors which aren't very light or practical for that matter your left with having something custom built.

Now your looking at Xitone, Mick can pretty much custom build whatever you want! or maybe Matrix, not sure if they custom build or not you would have to inquire. It will be interesting to see what Port City comes up with.

I use a Mackie DLM8 quite often when a CLR is overkill (and heavy!). Works well and gets quite respectively loud. It's not a CLR, but it's reasonable close, and TINY.

I got it as B-stock, so price was reasonable as well.

TT

I use a Mackie DLM8 quite often when a CLR is overkill (and heavy!). Works well and gets quite respectively loud. It's not a CLR, but it's reasonable close, and TINY.

I got it as B-stock, so price was reasonable as well.

TT

I was looking into those, I've read that it can get pretty boxy-sounding though, true in your experience?

If you’re looking for the smallest, lightest, useable (I’m sure you can find studio monitors that would be smaller) FRFR, nothing will likely beat the Matrix FR10. At 8kg or so it’s almost rediciously light while being full range, reasonably loud and sounding pretty good. Not as good as the CLR imo but even compared to the Mk2 they are almost half the weight.

I was looking into those, I've read that it can get pretty boxy-sounding though, true in your experience?

I can't vouch for the bigger ones, but the DLM8 stood up pretty well next to one my CLR's when I tested them. CLR patches translate pretty well, I usually don't tweak anything. Some of it depends on how you have the DLM8 EQ set up.

TT

For the pair that I demoed, boxy isn't quite the right word but there is something else going on for sure, I wanted to like them but just couldn't based on what I was hearing and how much they cost.

Last edited:
If you’re looking for the smallest, lightest, useable (I’m sure you can find studio monitors that would be smaller) FRFR, nothing will likely beat the Matrix FR10. At 8kg or so it’s almost rediciously light while being full range, reasonably loud and sounding pretty good. Not as good as the CLR imo but even compared to the Mk2 they are almost half the weight.

I have one of these as well, and it does a really good job. I'm pretty happy with it.

A new AX8 owner and a novice in frfr world here. Interested in Matrix FR10 for its weight. A question for experienced users of Fractal+FRFR rout and owners of FR10 in particular.

I tried a few, DXR10, ZLX12, etc, at various stores. They all have a low level white noise coming out of the tweeter when nothing is connected and volume all the way down. It is not audible from more than a few feet away unless you really focus your attention. Is this normal with all these speakers? Is this the case with FR10?
This would be best asked in a new thread. Your questions are not really related to the topic of this thread.

I use the RCF NX12SMA and have enjoyed it for years now. It's not small though. There is a smaller version, the NX10SMA, and several here use them with good results. Definitely smaller, but still has a good, powerful tone. Check with Simeon if interested, as he's been using a pair of them for a while.

I use the RCF NX12SMA and have enjoyed it for years now. It's not small though. There is a smaller version, the NX10SMA, and several here use them with good results. Definitely smaller, but still has a good, powerful tone. Check with Simeon if interested, as he's been using a pair of them for a while.

I use a pair of the RCF NX10's. sound great..Last night i just used one at the gig. Pretty good sounding rig with just one as well!

I have been searching for a small FRFR for years. Something usable with a moderate drummer. Used to play with a Dynacord 12“, got a smaller 10“ open back Xitone with that certain guitar cab feel, and got me even a smaller stereo active cab with 2 x 6“ + titan drivers some days ago. Very flat frequency response, 2x 180 Watts, 10.7 kg, 40 x 30 x 25 cm, custom made in Germany, by Blueamps. Expensive. It sounds gorgeous! Will post a write-up in the next days.

Hey guys...Im new here and Im very interested the Axe FX II XL+ ....Im strictly a home/bedroom hobbyist (have never played with a band or ever plan to) and living in an apartment with my daughter and want to know what the best powered FRFR for low volume playing while still maintaining high quality sound. Cost not a big concern, and or weight/size is not an issue as it will never leave my living room....just want best tone possible at low volumes (I play high gain metal...I would LOVE to get tones like Mark Day I've heard on Youtube with his CLR) Any suggestions is appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

two powered studio monitors - for stereo

Hmmm...i forgot that would be an option! I don't have a desk setup though...would i need an additional interface? Any particular brand/model? Was hoping to keep it simple with a floor FRFR wedge and then eventually get a second for stereo as you suggest.

Thanks for the response!

QSC K12 light but five years on, still tweaking and taking off loads of bass and boom. Mind you it sits on top of a Marshall stack. Don't know if the floor would take bass and boom off. Light though mate and average size

Back
Top Bottom