small frfr for jazz questions

jezeline

Hi all,

First of all: Finally Ive ordered new axe fx ii three days ago, it should come soon - I am so excited! So obvioulsy I am a 100% newbie here, please excuse unpolished questions. In any case: Thanks in advance for all your help - this forum is simply great.

Since I am (obvoiusly) totally redesigning my gear I am also looking for a convenient frfr solution - I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on that. My boundary conditions:

1) I play jazz, so far mostly "traditional" but I finally want to open more to more modern sounds which was not
really possible with my set up I used so far (=aer compact 60 + several pedals).
2) I practice (a lot) at home in my flat where I have to play at very low volumes. Thats why I often practice with headphones but Id love to use the axe also at low volumes with a decent sound - so studio monitors would be a good choice, but
3) I play small gigs (jazz :)) with my quintet at decent volumes. I travel with public transport. The aer 60 was sufficiently small to be carried without any troubles, Id love to have a small frfr monitor which can be used in these situations. I think studio monitors are not the best choice for that (or?), so how about a small (8'' ?) monitor (which I could also use as real monitor if we play something bigger with PA)?
4) Since I just spent quite a bunch on the axe my budget is limited - is a new solution really the best choice or should I continue using the aer and save for something better (that would be?)?

Summing up: I am interested in a light, portable frfr amp/monitor which can be used at very low volumes at home but also at small gigs for jazz.

I know that questions like this have been asked but I did not find any exact match, sorry if I oversaw something.

So far the Yamaha MSR 100 or the DXR8, the FBT J8A,... seem to be reasonable - what do you think?

Peace!

I'm kind of like you. I'm a jazz guy. Play small jazz gigs, but sometimes bigger venues as well. I just bought a pair of XiTone 1-12 active. Often I play with just one, but I love running in stereo.

Matrix FR10/12 may also be good options. I can carry the FR12 with one hand easily. It sounds great and has a couple of EQ options including a low-volume preset.

Thanks for the quick reply Henry (and the great soundfiles on your webpage). Unfortunately I live in Europe and its not easy to get the XiTones here.... (and arent they heavy in any case?)

The same holds for the matrix 10, sadly....however, thanks a lot for the hint, Ill also keep my eyes open in this direction.

Best!

Last edited:
No, I don
t think they're heavy. But I suppose if you have to jump on buses and subways, like NYC, having too much stuff can be problematic. But 30lbs or so isn't too heavy. But XiTone is my only experience so I have nothing else to suggest.

No, I don
t think they're heavy. But I suppose if you have to jump on buses and subways, like NYC, having too much stuff can be problematic. But 30lbs or so isn't too heavy. But XiTone is my only experience so I have nothing else to suggest.
I think Mick at Xitone has a 10" offering now.

Back
Top Bottom