Small cab blocks or small speakers for Rock leads? ?

Playing a vast array of Rock covers, does anyone else use small cabs or down-size the speakers (size) in the cab block for leads?

Whichever cab sounds best is the one I use! I always think about a 4x12 immediately when I think of rock tones/leads, but I've had some great results with 2x12 and 1x12 cabinets. I pick an amp that I want, and sometimes I'll go through every single cab IR, writing down my favorites along the way.

I haven't messed with the speaker size. I don't do too much with the cab block. Sometimes I'll adjust the low and high cut as well as the microphone and proximity parameters.

I know some folks will try to adjust the high and low cut based on the natural resonant frequencies of the speakers, but I'm not adept enough yet to know what I'm doing when it comes to that.

I don't care much for the speaker size parameter but I do like how a 2x12 seems more up front and in your face. Seems most IR makers concentrate on 4x12's. Shame as 1x's and 2x's sound great too!

Try to find out what amp/speaker was used on the original recording or a live recording from youtube (internet search) and choose those. That's what I try to do.

I always mix my favorite 4x12 with a small IR for leads. It really helps kick them into 'the zone'. They can really help when trying to nail a cover song. FYI- Jimmy Page almost always used small amps when he was using in the studio. They cut right through and can be 'sculpted' easily for placement. Page was brilliant at this. He used guitar tones like a painter uses colors.

Back
Top Bottom