Small Bass Amp for Basement Jamming

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
What small bass amp would you recommend for a basement jam? Asking for a friend who does a drums/bass/guitar thing.
My favorite SWR amps are no longer made: Strawberry Blonde and Baby Baby Blue.

What small bass amp would you recommend for a basement jam? Asking for a friend who does a drums/bass/guitar thing.
My favorite SWR amps are no longer made: Strawberry Blonde and Baby Baby Blue.
I still play my SWR, but for a small jam, I've been pleasantly shocked by the Fender Rumble bass amps. They are incredibly light, which is a big benefit. And cheap. I've even played them out a few times. Wont replace my SWR/Mesa rig, but great for rehearsal and small rooms.

Reactions: ESW
I found a Carvin MB15 used at my local GC when I went looking, which was really handy. I actually like the Fender Rumble V3 series a lot too.

I picked up an Ashdown Rootmaster 500w 2x10 combo that does the job for my rehearsal studio. I don't push it very hard and run the DI from it into the PA as well, so I'm gig ready by just turning up the PA a bit more. They have several models out there but this was the one that hit the price/power and feature set that I was looking for.

My bass rig is the Quilter Bass Block with a Schroeder 1x15 neo cab. Small setup, huge sound. The amp fits in the gig bag with my pbass!YX6K28T7S7-Y7errXSIj-hJcgSjAW8xNoKqz6sXm-75ffjYfyaXqwOAdMzOI5_xlkd1SQfAek-mgq9do8E3v33binuEzzN...jpg

All the above suggestions are good ones. I guess I took the framing of the OP's question to mean his buddy just wanted something suitable for playing in the basement with friends. If you want to spend the money, any of the above will kick serious butt and supply great tone (had great gigs with MarkBass and Ashdown equipment). If you're looking for something inexpensive that sounds darn good in a basement (and upstairs too), the Rumbles are way better than anything in their price range.

I have limited bass experience, but I always like the Markbass stuff when I play it, and they have a wide range of sizes. My dad has a small Hartke that works pretty well too. Pretty easy to dial in a good generic bass tone on either one.

The Rumbles are Ok as long as you don't take them out for gigging as they fall apart from a lot of transportation.

I would use a Fractal hooked to a good 12" self-powered speaker myself, maybe the forthcoming FM3....

TC Electronic stuff sounds great. I play with multiple bass players that all use these. Never heard one I didn't really like.

I have a small arsenal of bass amps and DI’s from Aguilar, Fender, TC, Tech 21, tc, A Designs, etc., For small form factor, great sound and lots of options, the Roland Bass Cube XL has been hard to beat for the money. You can find them used for $300. The Roland has several amp models, effects, a power scale feature, looper, tuner, XLR DI, channel switching, super rugged build - it’s been the surprise of the jam loft. Everyone that plugs in says” I could gig with this”. It’s a little on the heavy side at 45 lbs but, for the little amount of money, it punches way above its considerable weight.

I like my Rumble, but it's always in my home studio. Not sure how durable it would be for moving around on a regular basis as mentioned above. I've not had any problems with it.

The Rumbles are Ok as long as you don't take them out for gigging as they fall apart from a lot of transportation.

My bass player had a Rumble 100. I was incredibly jealous of how light the thing was compared to my Deluxe Reverb. I thought it sounded pretty good and was loud enough for a trio. The only knock against it was that the speaker would sometimes smoke when driven too hard for too long.

Fender Rumble 40 if you’re going to be jamming without a drummer, Rumble 100 with a drummer. I’m primarily a guitar player, but in my quest for a solid bass combo, I’ve yet to find anything that matches the value of the Fender Rumble Series. You can set the EQ completely flat and get a very usable tone.

With that said, it all comes down to your budget. If I were to have spent more, I would have went with the GK MB series or Mark Bass.

Back
Top Bottom