small around the house tube amp

Totally understand... Whats the budget you want to work in?

I would love the xitone solution-that looks so cool-any idea what the ballpark $ is?

Guess I should ask the owner.

Also, some places I go I do not think I would want my axeFX XL+ there for , well, security issues.

I do have a Vibrochamp XD in my closet-haven't pulled it in a while. It has a $40 Jensen C8R speaker I put in when I got it. actually kind of forgot about it, but it's only 5 watts. Maybe sell it and get the Champ XD, it's 15 watts. So I guess I want both options.

A 12" powered around $400? I was looking at the EV zlx12P-any thoughts on that?

The Xitone combo and the EV ZLX12p are not exactly "small" as per your requirement. The Xitone can be made with casters, but I think the combo plus AFX would weigh around 50lbs. The EV weighs around 35lbs. (Both weights are just guesstimates going off of memory). Also both units are relatively large.

Also, going off of memory, I'd guess the EVs and the Xitones are rated at somewhere around 120dB SPL. Are you ever going to play that loud? Because, if you're not, both options are a lot of loudspeaker for your application. You could get a powered monitor that will have a flatter response, but of course not be as loud, for the same amount of money.

You could get an entry level pair of monitors for $400 or put all the money into a higher quality single. Just an idea, but having owned a EV ZLX12p I'd have to say it's pretty awesome value for money. Most likely you'll never play the thing at its max usable volume, but it sure is fun every now and then to have something that loud in your face.

The Xitone combo and the EV ZLX12p are not exactly "small" as per your requirement. The Xitone can be made with casters, but I think the combo plus AFX would weigh around 50lbs. The EV weighs around 35lbs. (Both weights are just guesstimates going off of memory). Also both units are relatively large.

Also, going off of memory, I'd guess the EVs and the Xitones are rated at somewhere around 120dB SPL. Are you ever going to play that loud? Because, if you're not, both options are a lot of loudspeaker for your application. You could get a powered monitor that will have a flatter response, but of course not be as loud, for the same amount of money.

You could get an entry level pair of monitors for $400 or put all the money into a higher quality single. Just an idea, but having owned a EV ZLX12p I'd have to say it's pretty awesome value for money. Most likely you'll never play the thing at its max usable volume, but it sure is fun every now and then to have something that loud in your face.

I have an extra HR624MKII - hard to handle though. And you are correct, no I wouldn't play that loud-

That's kind of why I started this thread out saying small combo like blues jr (of course didn't realize no line out-how dumb of Fender) I have been searching craigslist and nothing much except 2 Super champ xd's. Does have channel switching though and tube power section.

Well I guess I should just count myself lucky at this stage of my life to even have such a dilemma.

Thanks
FRank

It sounds like you're looking for a a small combo that has an effects loop (doesn't matter if the loop is serial or parallel)? So you can use it standalone for quick trip to friends. Or if you want to get fancier you'd have the option of using the combo in 4CM or as just a power amp and cab, but still have the whole setup relatively portable. You also seem to show a strong preference to having real tubes vs solid state.

Is this correct?

It sounds like you're looking for a a small combo that has an effects loop (doesn't matter if the loop is serial or parallel)? So you can use it standalone for quick trip to friends. Or if you want to get fancier you'd have the option of using the combo in 4CM or as just a power amp and cab, but still have the whole setup relatively portable. You also seem to show a strong preference to having real tubes vs solid state.

Is this correct?

Yes-exactly

Hmm, that's difficult. I think I'm going to have to tap out of this discussion. I only have experience with small vintage tube amps and large 100W monsters.

Off the top of my head, the only tube combos that I can think of in your price range are these two: Egnator Tweaker and Bugera V22, but I have no experience with them. Also, they're pretty heavy, in the 40-50lb range. If you're looking for lightweight you're probably going to have to go SS.

I had the Egnater Tweaker 15w head after I sold my Ultra and while I was waiting for the Axe-FX II. I really liked it. I ran it clean and used pedals for gain, but it will even do a decent distortion on it's own. Seemed pretty good on lightly overdriven tones too. With the pedals I had I got some killer sounds and the switches on the Tweaker provide a nice variety. My personal favorite for most of the stuff I did was the Marshall tone stack, but it was nice to have the option of using Fender or Vox style tone stacks as well. For recording multiple takes I made use of all three and a couple of different distortion boxes. I'm probably more of a rock and metal guy and it worked great with my pedals for that, but I think it's really geared a bit more vintage if you're not using pedals.

Think he mentioned $400.

That was for the powered cab- So I'll end this thread and I apologize for being so back and forth -

Thanks everyone for weighing in and when I figure it out I am just going to post a new thread titled- Hey, Look at my new "_________" ? :)

I would love the xitone solution-that looks so cool-any idea what the ballpark $ is?

Guess I should ask the owner.

Also, some places I go I do not think I would want my axeFX XL+ there for , well, security issues.

I do have a Vibrochamp XD in my closet-haven't pulled it in a while. It has a $40 Jensen C8R speaker I put in when I got it. actually kind of forgot about it, but it's only 5 watts. Maybe sell it and get the Champ XD, it's 15 watts. So I guess I want both options.

A 12" powered around $400? I was looking at the EV zlx12P-any thoughts on that?

On the Xitone I would guess no more than 1K or so with the G-50 Matrix power amp so probably out of the price range. I will second Tremonti's recommendation on the Peavey Classic 30 combo, meets all of your requirements including effects loop. The EV gets a lot of respect for the money around here, I have also played through the the Alto TS112 not bad for the money, multiple input options and fairly light weight.

Back
Top Bottom