Small Amp VS Big Amp (15W EL84 vs 60W 6L6/EL34)

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
Hey guys,

I'm a huge fan of the laney Ironheart amps.
They sound HUGE!
I love how raw the upper midrange and treble frequencies sound in combination with those fat lows.
The clean tones are really great too!

I've been wanting to make a couple 'Small Amp VS Big Amp' videos for a while and I decided to make a Laney one first.
This one is all about the Laney IRT Studio which is a 15W amp with an EL84 power section versus the Ironheart 60W head with a 6L6 power section.
Opinions on the sonic differences vary quite a bit so this should be the ultimate test!
After watching this video, what is your opinion on the difference in tone?
Which one functions better in the mix?

I would love to hear your thoughts!
I'm also going to do one for my EVH LBX and 5150 III EL34 50W.

Signal flow: -Schecter C1P SLS (Seymour Duncan Full Shred and Jazz pickups) -Fractal Audio Axe Fx III (to record DI's and for the noisegate) -Laney amps -Fractal Audio LB-2 Loadbox -Fractal Audio Axe Fx III (for cabinet simulation) -OwnHammer Heavy Hitters Collection Volume 1 (412 DZL V30 JS mix) Note: in all the full band examples there is a high pass filter on all the guitars at 80hz. This filter is bypassed in the isolated sections. All controls for both amps were set the same. With some tweaking both amps can definitely sound even more similar.

Back
Top Bottom