Smack.... some peoples kids

mwd

Power User
Bought a beautiful Airline Tuxedo the other day from Reverb. I cringed when the seller shipped the guitar USPS. I have had necks sticking out of packages with a clear baggie over the headstock with an adhesive label stating ‘sorry we damaged your mail’. Seller assured me ‘I’ve done it before… all is good’. I saw the guitar was insured and sent priority mail so it wasn’t going to take long to get to me.

I almost had a heart attack when the post lady rang my doorbell and handed me a soft gig bag with a mailing label stuck to the top of it. She carried it like she was going to a gig and dropped it off at my house. Inside the guitar was wrapped with 1/4” used bubble wrap. No box.

AMAZINGLY I find no damage. The guy removed the pick guard and put the screws wrapped up in paper in the zip pocket. 1 screw and 1 shoulder are missing. That is it.

Tuxedo and I have bonded. Considering he is my miracle child I figured it was meant to be.

For the seller I really don’t know what to say but I think his ship method will catch up to him.

:confused:o_O

That shipping method is like coming to a venue and see all sort of electrical wiring for the place hanging about from the roof, all open and unshielded, like it was amateur hour with a solder iron. And the amazing thing is that for X number of years it worked flawlessly, but one look at it and you know that when Murphy will come on knocking at the door shit will be hitting the fan in epic amounts, and you don't want to be anywhere near it.

That sounds horrible, but glad it worked out for the best! Always good to find one you bond with!

I'd still be worried there might be non-visible damage that might come up later... I would've contacted Reverb and returned the thing :p

If you like it and are going to keep it, crossing my fingers for you! ;)

Be sure to mention the poor shipping prep in your review of the seller. Maybe he'll wise up.

OMFG! I would rip that guy a new one in my Reverb review. Who would do something so stupid?
Maybe you got lucky and because it WASN'T in a box, so the USPS staff knew it was fragile and handled it nicely.
It wasn't just 'another box' in the van....so maybe it was treated special.
Seller is either a genius or a complete moron. I'm leaning towards the latter.

AMAZINGLY I find no damage. The guy removed the pick guard and put the screws wrapped up in paper in the zip pocket. 1 screw and 1 shoulder are missing. That is it.
:eek: With luck like that, have you ever considered playing the lottery?

....nice to hear a happy ending once in a while. That .....IS......nuts though , lol.
Saying much to the seller or Reverb at this point ( IMO ) is pretty much wasted air and time. Check it over good for unseen cracks before signing off.
Be thankful !

I feel like smacking the guy in the feedback but at the same time I kind of new to Reverb and I don't want revenge feedback from him. Not exactly sure what to do. The guitar is a gem so far except for figuring out the pick guard. It sits very weird. At first I thought Airline was going to be helpful. I wrote tech support and then decided to call next day because their support said 'or call us'.

Guy said he email either the screws or the specs and I got neither and got no response to my online support request. So I've been playing MacGyver trying to make this thing sit right.

USPS you say? Consider yourself very lucky, and, Jesus must have been watching over your guitar that day, and took the day (or week) off while mine were being shipped. If you haven't seen these already have a look, some of us haven't been so lucky with guitars being shipped to them thru USPS. Btw, do you think only guitar player spell through like thru? As in thru-neck? ;)

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ncd-yet-another-issue.141126/
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ngd-anticlimactic-every-guitarists-nightmare.141062/
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/repairing-a-broken-headstock.141223/
The next one isn't broken, I just included it for my new sweetie whom I recently reconnected with and haven't seen in 30 years! ....and, you guys need to see a nice tailpiece once in a while (first picture).
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ngd-means-new-guitar-day.140831/

1st problem, I should have never purchased a guitar wo a case to be shipped. 2nd no gigbag either.
Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread, just thought you might be interested in what could have been, and possibly worse.

Very glad to hear your guitar is OK! :)

Last edited:
Trust me gigawatt I had just read your thread a couple of days prior to my purchase which is partially to blame for my near heart attack when I saw 'tracking number USPS'.

As it is I always say 'please pack this guitar like 'UPS' is going to bounce it around because they probably will'. Get he didn't get the hint. In the future I guess I will be very specific about shipping 'prior' to the purchase.

Back
Top Bottom