SM7b and Guitar Center Sales Fun

Yeah, the ABQ store is hit or miss when it comes to the sales guys. A couple of the guys there are friends of mine (one in drums and the other in pro audio), so they treat me pretty good when I drop by. I haven't bought much more than strings from GC for the past several years, but the "service" really varies among the other sales reps. But in a way I understand. I read a lot of posts about what a soul-crushing experience working at GC can be, so I can see how some guys just phone it in on some days. I miss the days when ABQ had a good assortment of independent music stores.

My interactions at GC are limited since I like Rio Rancho. I've had good experiences at music go around which is not too far from GC. Regardless, it's pointless for me to go try guitars since I play backwards :(

An assistant manager at GC reportedly averages under nine bucks an hour. I don't know what you're expecting here. America chose rock bottom salaries and rock bottom prices instead of having people know what they're talking about. GC is just a hedge fund managed Walmart for music stuff.

Do you think it's limited to Guitar Center?
I never thought of it that way, but you do have a point.
Are you implying there was a time when they didn't? :)
I have bought a few things over the years where the salesperson was really good- respectful, no hard sell, and actually would look stuff up when asked.

My wife purchased my favorite bass there after I picked it out, 73 Gibson Triumph bass. I came in 3 different times to play it before we pulled the trigger, because I wanted to be sure it was the one.

I never thought of it that way, but you do have a point.

I have bought a few things over the years where the salesperson was really good- respectful, no hard sell, and actually would look stuff up when asked.

My wife purchased my favorite bass there after I picked it out, 73 Gibson Triumph bass. I came in 3 different times to play it before we pulled the trigger, because I wanted to be sure it was the one.

I bought my original Taylor 810 at GC ages ago. My post was a little tongue in cheek but overall I have always kind of considered GC a bit like any other big chain store where the knowledge of the personnel varies drastically and can be hit and miss depending on location.

Reactions: jon
So you guys want:

- each GC employee to be an expert on all pro audio equipment topics

and

- make them earn low wages, because you also want GC to to offer you the lowest prices

and

- know your personal history in advance, to be able to give adequate advice?

It doesn't add up. Pay for quality.

P.S. Recommending a CloudLifter isn't bad advice per se.

Do you think it's limited to Guitar Center?
Ever needed help in Fry's and you're actually computer literate?

I was once waiting in line to pick up a part and a woman was buying a hard drive. The sales "expert" asked if she wanted an extended warranty. She asked why she would need one, and he said very seriously, "well, you see, inside the case are these platters that spin around at 5400 revolutions per minute..." :)

Another time I was looking for some component and asked for help in finding it. I was directed to another section of the store. Couldn't find it, asked for help. Directed to another section. Repeat 3 more times until I was eventually directed back to the first section. FML!

2 points

1. He is right- even the highest end of consoles I feel can benefit from a cloud lifter

I'd say 98% of SM7B users need it

2. I don't use an SM7B - I use a vintage SM7- like MJ- it requires honestly half the gain of a new SM7b- so that explains how

So you guys want:

- each GC employee to be an expert on all pro audio equipment topics

and

- make them earn low wages, because you also want GC to to offer you the lowest prices

and

- know your personal history in advance, to be able to give adequate advice?

It doesn't add up. Pay for quality.

P.S. Recommending a CloudLifter isn't bad advice per se.
I would expect expect a GC employee to ask what my setup was before blindly telling me that the proverbial "end of the world is nigh" if I didn't buy his recommendation.

I don't think that is asking too much of any employee in a sales position.

First rule of face to face sales, if you can't qualify your potential customer as having a need, then your efforts are wasted that could be better spent on one who has a need.

Yeah. I've had experiences at GC where employees were pretty clueless, but that's true in any industry, and not those kids' fault. They're just trying to make a living doing something kind of related to their music.

My interactions at GC are limited since I like Rio Rancho. I've had good experiences at music go around which is not too far from GC. Regardless, it's pointless for me to go try guitars since I play backwards :(
I live in the Heights, so GC and Music Go Round are my two go-to stores. I've bought (and sold) several guitars and other gear at MGR. They generally treat me pretty good, but despite having done business there for the past 8 years or so (ever since I moved back to ABQ), they never seem to recognize me and always treat me like a new customer. Years ago when I worked at Luchetti's, I knew who my repeat customers were, and usually remembered their gear preferences. Lesmen's Music seems to have a good crew, but I don't get over to that part of town real often.

I used to have a left-handed student. It was fun playing his guitars. I'd play things like Stairway to Heaven with the regular right-hand fingerings and get brand new songs out of it, lol.

Kinda sad. Probably making a little over minimum wage, barely able to keep a roof over his head while Mittens and Co. are making billions exploiting him and others like him.
Well Mittens is out of the picture since Bain divested from GC a couple years ago, and moved on to ruin other American businesses and destroy the livelihoods of more retail workers in other segments.
I live in the Heights, so GC and Music Go Round are my two go-to stores. I've bought (and sold) several guitars and other gear at MGR.
I don't know if this is per-store or not but our MGR has a return policy of two days. At that point why am I even paying a retail premium, versus just blindly buying stuff from Reverb?

I went in the same guitar center years ago when it was on Rte 4. Asked for a guitar stand. Sales guy proceeded to offer me one of their in house branded ones, for like 15-20 bucks. I told him I’m putting a les paul on it with nitro finish. His repLy? “I think it’ll fit”.
Sweetwater or Amazon For now on.

Unfortunately, this is a result of our current educational system (not just GC)...they don't teach most young people to question themselves and learn what they don't know and respect everyone equally.

I worked in a local music store when I was eighteen (almost 50 years ago). I always tried to learn about the gear and always was inquisitive to learn more and respect everyone who walked into the store... I totally credit the people that taught me!

In my experience at GC's, I have found that the older (for this forum that would be 40+ :)) actual musicians\salespeople have an OK grasp of things but still will sell you anything. Thats been my experience anyway.

Kinda sad. Probably making a little over minimum wage, barely able to keep a roof over his head while Mittens and Co. are making billions exploiting him and others like him.
Dont be so sure. Although yes he’s probably (definitely) making dirt, many retirees take these kinds of jobs solely to keep busy. I fully plan to pour coffee for a living in a few years, once I start collecting a pension and my 457. Why? I love Starbucks. No other reason. It’ll give me something to do with the least amount of responsibility humanly possible, I get a lb of free coffee a week and will only work a couple hours a day or so.

Dont be so sure. Although yes he’s probably (definitely) making dirt, many retirees take these kinds of jobs solely to keep busy. I fully plan to pour coffee for a living in a few years, once I start collecting a pension and my 457. Why? I love Starbucks. No other reason. It’ll give me something to do with the least amount of responsibility humanly possible, I get a lb of free coffee a week and will only work a couple hours a day or so.
Nice, I like that. I'm just starting to explore ideas for retiring early and doing something different in a few short years. Not sure when exactly, but corporate life is getting old, and I really don't want to stick around until they are ready to fit me for a casket.

Back
Top Bottom