Slowing it down....

I still use Winamp (yes, really lol) with the LoopMaster and PaceMaker plugins (all free); have been using those tools for years and they still work for me.

I have a Boss Micro BR-80 which has the ability to slow the speed while keeping pitch. I love it, best portable "sketch/practice pad" ever invented IMHO.

I wish Melodyne was cheaper and had more transcription features.

I used the demo of it to transcribe some stuff. Incredible for identifying individual notes from a full mix.

But it's expensive and lacks a transcription oriented set of commands.

I tried the demo version of transcribe and downloaded Gstream using the link on the Seventh String site, but wasn't able to export as mp3. I liked the program, but didn't buy a license due to not being able to export.

I tried the demo version of transcribe and downloaded Gstream using the link on the Seventh String site, but wasn't able to export as mp3. I liked the program, but didn't buy a license due to not being able to export.

I've never used the export. I open .mp3 files though.

What is the export for?

Audacity
  • Free
  • Slow tempo and retain pitch
  • Import mp3's
  • Record tracks
  • Export as mp3
  • Too much else to list...

Last edited:
This is a great thread. I have used Transcribe! for ever. I don't even think they use the exclamation mark in the name any longer :) Cool to hear about other options.

I use the export to output files at 70%, 80%, 90%, and 100% and then play them in the other room on my SpiderJam while watching TV, haha! For pure practice that Spider Jam is hard to beat, and cheap as hell. Anything that plays MP3s would work in this way of course.

One thing about slowing things down for transcription, is reverb and delay on the original mix can throw you off, and going back to 100% periodically just to verify everything still sounds right, is a good practice.

GTD4 lets you save the file as "FLAC" by default, if you don't have an MP3 encoder, but, I downloaded a free utility to convert FLAC audio files to MP3, and it will do a whole subfolder of files in one fell swoop, so that's how I got around that.

Hi Guys -
One of the cool things about Transcribe is that it pulls video in so you can slow down both the audio and video simultaneously. Unfortunately earlier versions of Transcribe used QuickTime, which is no longer supported on Windows by Apple because of security vulnerability. There is an alternative video format (GStream) for the newest version of Transcribe (V 8.64) , however 8.64 is Windows 10 only (hate that). Of course, I'm running Win7, and have to accept unfixable QT vulnerabilities to use the video option in Transcribe.

So.... do any of these other programs mentioned above handle video internally as well as audio?
Thanks,
Steve

I'll have to try some of these suggestions. I started off playing my 33.3 rpm albums at 16 rpm on my dad's turntable, and holding my portable cassette machine's microphone up to the speaker to record it. I learned countless solos that way.

Capo has been my tool of choice for transcribing for a loooooooong time now! I'm hoping it gains the ability to work with downloaded, Apple Music (m4p) files soon. It's been an in-development feature for about 6 months now.

headerDevicePic-3.jpg

That's what I use so obviously you must know what you're doing. ;)
I organize my tunes in iTunes...and when I need to slow something down open up Capo and just drag an drop.

Just recently discovered YouTube will let you slow down videos and retain pitch. Handy for transcribing and practicing with online tracks.
wasn't aware of that, cool and thanks. After catching up on this thread, Transcribe does let you export and also works with video. Been using it for years, excellent learning tool for me and my students.

Back
Top Bottom