Slightly different inquiry about FRFR cabs

Jack, I've been using the CLR Neo (or sometimes, 2) for jazz/archtop tones for years now. I never do heavy/djent/thumpy tones, and I certainly can't see anything to back up that initial impression.
Do you like the Axe tones you're getting, when listening back through hi-quality studio monitors? If so, you'll love the CLR's.
The CLR is also another great cab.
The other solution I was thinking of...if your sounds is less FRFR then talk with Mick you can design a cab with the option of using FRFR or not. That is a cool feature if you want to go between. I personally like the FRFR solution when I do purely jazz gigs because I get a very very consistent sound. I find with a traditional clean jazz sound live there is a tendency to have your sound get washed out.

I just received a prototype XiTone Cabs that weighs less than 30lbs and sounds !@#$ amazing. It completely blows away the alto cabs I was using before. Can't wait to get a pair of these!

I can't divulge any of the details of construction at this point in time but I really love this. To me, it sounds way better than any of the other FRFR cabs I have tried. More guitaristic and tone and feel. Really brings out the nuances of clean and overdriven tone from loud jazz to holdsworth to dumble and SRV and anything else I've thrown at it!

Yeah, his stuff is amazing and he's so helpful and knowledgeable. My only question now is should I opt for the heavier wedge or the lighter prototype? A friend of mine who lives about 30 miles away has a pair of his wedges so I'm hoping to do a comparison and see if the extra weight is worth it...

....knew Mick was the guy for you....!

I just received a prototype XiTone Cabs that weighs less than 30lbs and sounds !@#$ amazing. ...To me, it sounds way better than any of the other FRFR cabs I have tried. More guitaristic and tone and feel. Really brings out the nuances of clean and overdriven tone from loud jazz to holdsworth to dumble and SRV and anything else I've thrown at it!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll be all ears as to exactly what you decide to go for.

A consideration that sold me on the CLR's was the fact that they're not "guitar voiced". IOW, they work as well as studio monitors or full PA as they do for the various near-and-dear guitar tones you mentioned. As a result, I feel like the patches I tweak using the CLR are closer to "ready-to-go" for recording use. Also, I'm more confident that FOH is going to be getting what I intended when I tweaked the patch.

But if Mick's new units work as well in that context, AND feel better on stage... win/win!

Back
Top Bottom