Slight ‘out of phase’ sound

Can you flip the phase of your monitor? I can't remember where, but one of the blocks has a phase switch (I think!).
That would be worth trying.

[edit] - Ah you're Andy that posted the 'Cuts me to the bone' video?... In that case, if you're still using the X32 rack, Just link the stereo channels you are inputting to, and flip the phase.

Thanks
Pauly

Hi Paula, yes I am he...but since then I have stopped using backline and gone full IEM into FOH.

Hi again Andy,

Seeing it's stereo, make sure the channels are linked. To see if they are linked, select one of the guitar channels, and on the Home page, the word 'Link' should be hi-lighted (it's under the gain on the left hand side at the bottom) - If it's not linked, press the encoder under it, and follow the bouncing ball.

Now - to the phase... Select one of the (linked) channels, and on the home screen, click the Layer 'Down' button.
Now see the boxes above the encoder buttons - The second from the left (with the word 'Fader' in it) has the phase button below that. Click the encoder to reverse the phase.

That's it!

thanks
Pauly

Thanks everyone.... I will have a look at the X32 and see if I can flip the phase etc...
Though would I still get that phase sound when only using one side (a rehearsal) though I was still going into the X32 in stereo but only used left out of X32 into one side.
I will also post the Preset tonight.
Thanks for the help so far guys.

Ahhh.. hang on a minute... you've gone IEM.... So is the phasing sound in your IEMs, or the PA?
Thanks
Pauly

Hey - Yet another possibility - If your 2 channels on the x32 are not linked, it's possible one is out of phase that would certainly cause exactly what you describe. Use my notes above to check.

Beware you can only link odd to even channels on the X32 (9-10, 11-12 etc. will work, 10-11 will not). Also check that HA config is checked under link preferences, otherwise the polarity flip is independent from the link status...

Beware you can only link odd to even channels on the X32 (9-10, 11-12 etc. will work, 10-11 will not). Also check that HA config is checked under link preferences, otherwise the polarity flip is independent from the link status...

My X32 channals are linked. Whats the HA config? is the HA config on the X32 (which I cant find) or the Axe III ?

Andy

Hi again Andy,

Seeing it's stereo, make sure the channels are linked. To see if they are linked, select one of the guitar channels, and on the Home page, the word 'Link' should be hi-lighted (it's under the gain on the left hand side at the bottom) - If it's not linked, press the encoder under it, and follow the bouncing ball.

Now - to the phase... Select one of the (linked) channels, and on the home screen, click the Layer 'Down' button.
Now see the boxes above the encoder buttons - The second from the left (with the word 'Fader' in it) has the phase button below that. Click the encoder to reverse the phase.

That's it!

thanks
Pauly

Hi Pauly
Little confused here, whis piece of equipment are you refering to...The X32 Rack or the Axe III (Im away from both at the moment but no idea which you are talking about . :)

Then the problem is in the PA. You're trying to solve the problem from the wrong end. You don't adjust your car's suspension if the road is full of potholes, you fix the road.

Everything goes through the PA nothing else sounds out of phase...

I'd check for more than one signal path from guitar to your ears when you set up PA - eliminate that possibility - a guitar fill or wedge that's out of phase might do this..?

Mixer? Try different channels?

It even does it when only using one side? That’s what really confuses me...I’m going to set up the PA in my house on Sunday (hope my wife’s not reading this) and will have a play and see it I can find the problem.
I did get the out of phase sound through my Matrix Q12 with both the Axe II and III. Not hearing it in the RCF tt08a though. I can’t help feeling it’s the IR’s in the Axe... in my old Axe II it was more exadurated if I used a 4x12 sim so I always had to stay away from those....

you don't hear the sound in your IEM, but you do hear it when going direct to a powered speaker, and to a PA system, and you've heard this phase sound with 2 separate units (Axe 2 and Axe 3)?

was that just one cable from the Axe to the Matrix Q12 speaker? what is your output mode on the Axe set to? sum L+R?

is "phasing problem" the correct description of the problem? some of this doesn't make sense.

have you uploaded the preset for us to check just in case?

Have you tried connecting the axe straight to the PA? Bypassing the X32? Just to figure out where it's coming from.
If it still does it, then it's the PA, if not, then it's the X32.

My X32 channals are linked. Whats the HA config? is the HA config on the X32 (which I cant find) or the Axe III ?

Andy

The X32. In setup there should be a tab for link preferences, one of those is HA config (which includes gain, polarity and maybe phantom power). HA stands for headamp.

Despite of that you can of course just check whether both channels are set to the same settings...

Back
Top Bottom