Slick expansion module for FC's

Looks legit, apparently they specialize in extensions for many floor units......unsure about availability in US.

Looks quite similar to the DIY design I did last year, minus adding an expression knob

they need to take the rubber end cap off though and move it to the outside edge, looks better that way

979F7B81-BD4F-471A-BCF1-098F5C1D215D.jpeg

Looks pretty slick. Yes, the expression knob would be even better, but that wouldn’t be hard to add once you have the housing. Just drill a couple of holes and wire up the pot and an extra TRS jack. Looks like there’s room (image attached).

I emailed the manufacturer, asking (1) if they could be mounted on either side of the FC (2) how they attach and (3) whether they’re available in the US. I’ll post when I hear anything.

Attachments

• FF6EDBFA-60A5-4000-907F-A199B7BE056D.png
    FF6EDBFA-60A5-4000-907F-A199B7BE056D.png
    433.7 KB · Views: 51
Looks pretty slick. Yes, the expression knob would be even better, but that wouldn’t be hard to add once you have the housing. Just drill a couple of holes and wire up the pot and an extra TRS jack. Looks like there’s room (image attached).

I emailed the manufacturer, asking (1) if they could be mounted on either side of the FC (2) how they attach and (3) whether they’re available in the US. I’ll post when I hear anything.
I got a response. That was fast!
Hey Andrew, they can be mounted most easily with velcro. Either side of the controller works. We currently don’t ship to the US but are working on it! Will let you know when we are able to...

They are only 3dprinted... not to say they aren’t worth it. But they aren’t smoothed or anything.

I've ordered 3 enclosures I've found online that are close, but not the same size as the FC's angles. Total for all 3 were right at $100, but only because one is about $40, with the others less than $30. The company also offers custom manufacturing & I might reach out to them to see if they'd make an enclosure of similar angles as the FC.

I'll report more when I receive the enclosures.

oFyV4Y5.png

Has anyone gotten measurements of the FCs dimensions (not the OVERALL LxWxH), but the measurements of the angles of the slopes, the lengths of the slopes, etc. The "profile" from the side . . . w/o the end cap.

I went with these as a temporary housing as I bought all the parts to build an extension . . . but didn't realize how few 3D printers could actually handle the dimensions of a FC sized enclosure.

Last edited:
I've ordered 3 enclosures I've found online that are close, but not the same size as the FC's angles. Total for all 3 were right at $100, but only because one is about $40, with the others less than $30. The company also offers custom manufacturing & I might reach out to them to see if they'd make an enclosure of similar angles as the FC.

I'll report more when I receive the enclosures.

oFyV4Y5.png

Has anyone gotten measurements of the FCs dimensions (not the OVERALL LxWxH), but the measurements of the angles of the slopes, the lengths of the slopes, etc. The "profile" from the side . . . w/o the end cap.

I went with these as a temporary housing as I bought all the parts to build an extension . . . but didn't realize how few 3D printers could actually handle the dimensions of a FC sized enclosure.
Hammond enclosure I’m guessing from the picture and knowledge that they will cut holes for you at a price. Why don’t you draw round your FC with the end cap off to get dimensions that are “close”

Hammond enclosure I’m guessing from the picture and knowledge that they will cut holes for you at a price. Why don’t you draw round your FC with the end cap off to get dimensions that are “close”

My III/FC arrives tomorrow (hopefully)! That's why I asked if anyone had traced/measured the profile?

I don't think it's Hammond, but I do believe I've seen Hammond or Hawk enclosures when looking around.

Yea, definitely NOT Hammond. Although, this could be pretty dang close. It's just 11" wide to get that 7" deep when most people don't want something wider than the FC-6. The 3D printed box is almost 6" wide.

515_FB.jpg

515_RB.jpg

Looks quite similar to the DIY design I did last year, minus adding an expression knob

they need to take the rubber end cap off though and move it to the outside edge, looks better that way

View attachment 61908

That's really neat!
May I ask what functions you tend to assign to the additional switches? Is there any way of knowing whether tbe functions assigned to them are engaged or not? Other than using your ears of course!

That's really neat!
May I ask what functions you tend to assign to the additional switches? Is there any way of knowing whether tbe functions assigned to them are engaged or not? Other than using your ears of course!

I just use them for navigation, basically set up the 6 FC switches for things like scenes or effects on/off, and use the external switches for changing layouts. Makes it easy to keep track of what they do, as the top button is effects layout 1/2 toggle and bottom is preset/scene layouts, so I can get anywhere with just a button press on the fly and i have 6 dynamic switches at all times with scribble strips since I’m not “wasting” switches to just serve as layout controls

hope that makes sense lol

What is your extension made of & what'd you do to match the FC angles?

wood. I took off the rubber end cap, and just held the FC to a piece of paper and drew around the edges, then used that as a template to cut out the shape, sanding as needed.

it was like $5 or less in actual parts (minus switches which were $2.59 each lol)

I made a thread a while back that shows how it was done. I didnt even have any power tools, all hand stuff on my floor lol

Back
Top Bottom