Slate Digital... what's your thoughts?

stm113

Power User
Looking for opinions on this (these) product(s) especially from persons with extensive experience with them.
What do you think about them?
Is it worth the $15 per month?
What did you use most?
What's useless in the bundle?
How do they compare to waves, Ik, Softube UA etc...?

I've got Sonar Platinum and a few plugs including Softube FET, Focusrite Red and the Cakewalk CA-2A, kind of curious if there will be a huge improvement over what I have already. I know there are demos but just curious on your guys thoughts.

You are probably going to get different answers and opinions to this subject, but here's my .02$
Me, I love the Slate stuff.
I don't have the everything bundle (yet), as I own a lot of his plug ins.
I use the VCC, VTM, VMR on almost everything I do.
To me the Slate stuff sounds better than the Waves stuff that I have.
I also have and use plugs from Flux, Lexicon, Softtube, Waves and the full Metric Halo production bundle.
Apart from the Slate stuff I mostly use the Flux EQ (surgical EQ), Metric Halo channel strip, character (pre amp sims), delay, halo verb and the Lex verbs.
I think the 15$ a month for the everything Slate bundle is a steal, and if I was "starting over" that's the first (and perhaps only) plug in solution I'd look at.

Long time user and love their stuff.

I bought into Slate way back when I was using their drum samples with the drum replacement plugin Drumagog.

I have not bought the subscription yet.

I use VCC, VTM, and FGX on every project.

I use Trigger (their version of drum replacement) a lot too. I own the SDD drum sampler too, but use it for demos only. It's nice that a lot (all?) of their drum samples can be used in Trigger and SDD.

I mostly use Slate on everything. I bought most of the plugins before the subscription. I wish 15$/month existed back then, but I don't regret it.
The only plugin missing I would need is a gate, but I just use my daw one.

I'm looking into buying their microphone system. From what I heard, it's pretty awesome.

Over the last 2 years or so I have pretty much replaced all my UAD stuff (although the Pultec is still on every buss) as well as Waves plugs with Slate.

The VCC is indispensable, and VTM also gets a lot of use.

I also bought most of the plugs prior to the $15/month subscription but that's ok as the upcoming Distressor and Reverb will be worth the price of admission.

I'm still heavy into UAD and Waves too.

Along with Slate those are my have to have plugs. Some on every single session.

I did the subscription when it rolled out at 24.99 with the reverb and S gear added. I used it for alot of sessions, and its really great. But honestly, it was more of a time saver than anything really revolutionary. Same old cliches still apply, crap in results in crap out. Stock plug ins do a bunch in DAW's now a days. I ended up letting my subscription lapse when i heard the news of it going cheaper and me not being home much anymore to work on material.

But im still glad i paid for FG-X (that thing owns)

It's no secret that I am a fan of Slate Digital products.
I almost exclusively use their plugins with a few exceptions.
Honestly, using their tools has not only made my mixes sound better but it has made me a better mixer.
It's hard to explain why but I'll try.

Because of all the analog summing and saturation plugins like VCC, VTM, VPC and even VBC all the elements in your mix get a better 'place'.
Everything gets less cloudy and everything truly seems to get more 3d with those on.

The eq and compression plugins just react in a way that sounds pleasant and they really seem to work with you instead of against you which really can happen in some cases.

I have quite some plugins from other brands but I just don't use those anymore.

I'm always using Slate "coloring" plugins (VCC and VTM) on all my mixes, together with VBC for my buss compressor(s) (VBC Red in particular) and FG-X. My favorite Slate plugin is Trigger, so easy to use and it just gets the job done way better than any other triggering plugin imo. I'm not familiar with Slate EQs and Compressors (besides VBC), so I can't really comment on that, but they are just so consistent with their products it's almost impossible to find something that sounds bad. VCC and VTM won't "make or break" your mixes btw, they're just the icing on the cake..they do add some nice harmonic overtones, saturation and overall warmth to the sound

Glad I caught this thread... well, maybe not... LOL. I have a feeling I'm going to end up buying (renting) the everything bundle. I'm seeing glowing reviews of this set of plugins on just about every forum I go to.

I used to use UAD, but sold my Octo and all of my plugins a year or so ago. Just got sick of every now and then having little issues that required at the minimum a reboot and other times more detailed troubleshooting. I also realized that my latest computer has all the power necessary to run everything I would need with native plugins.

The new Verbsuite Classics plugin has just been released!
It's a wonderful plugin.
I had the privilege of beta testing it and I can tell you, it's magnificent!
I made a short video to demo all of the units:

I just got the Slate Everything Bundle. I got to thinking with what I have spent on UAD in the past six months that is 9 years subscription of the Slate plugs...lol. Further, if I don't like them, I'm out 180 bucks or so. As far as use and quality... I'm not there yet. I like the UAD tape simulations better than Slate and I like the UAD compressors and EQ's better. BUT.... I just got them and know little about them in fairness.

What is 100% cool is I woke up this morning with an email stating their VerbSuite Classics are available. A suite of 12 different verbs, listing for 199.00, yet it's free from further cost in the Everything Bundle and I'm downloading it as I type this. Even if I only use a fraction of the Slate offerings I think it is a fantastic value.

I got the everything bundle couple of weeks ago.

Outstanding value for money and really useful plugins - for me it's worth it just for the VTM and VBC Red.

A often used phrase around these parts is: 'it's a great time to be a musician' - and the Everything bundle at the current price is 100% testament to that.

Back
Top Bottom