Slash “Appetite for Destruction”

TL;DR, big preset, go play!

Edit: Neck pickup IR added for download.

Edit edit: AFD cab uploaded for release 10.00. AFD is tonematched using a Les Paul with SD Alnico 2 Pro pickups in bridge and neck. Not a big difference between the Schecter with JB/59 or Ibby with DSD/PAF, but for accuracy here you go. I didn't do separate bridge and neck IR's as it's the same setup as Slash and should be close enough.

#4 This preset started from another preset floating around here, I can't remember where it's from, but it's heavily edited. I tried to make this an all-in-one Slash - Appetite preset. This does not cover Izzy's tone. I dialed it in with my Ibanez RG570 with Dimarzio SD and PAF 36th, but my recorded clips are a Schecter C1 Classic with JB/59. The tone doesn't really change between the two guitars but I felt the Schecter was more appropriate for the video.

So this is a pretty simply preset, but it has a lot of options. I tonematched for both the bridge and neck pickup, saved to X/Y cabs. The tone isn't very different between the two tonematches, but I wanted a neck as well just for to be sure. It's not perfect, but it's getting there. I'll be getting a LP with A2P's in the next few months and I'll revisit it.

Scene 1 - 4 is the X cab, so tonematched to the bridge pickup.
Scene 1 is the dry rhythm bridge tone. Heard on pretty much every song.
Scene 2 is the same but with reverb. I use this for the Sweet Child solo, Paradise City intro solo, as well if I want to play something post Appetite.
Scene 3 is the very first delay heard on Welcome to the Jungle. It's a bit longer at 425ms. This is for the very beginning, before the riff really starts.
Scene 4 is the same but with the delay set to 320ms. This is for the intro riff, sliding fills throughout the song, and Sweet Child (most of the song).

I scored a Roland SRV-2000 for $100 recently, so I tried to replicate the tone. Surprisingly it was dead on other than slightly increasing the feedback. I A/B'ed between the two and could not hear even the slightest difference.

Scene 5 and 6 is the Y cab, so tonematched to the neck pickup.
Scene 5 is the same as 4, the shorter delay but again with the Y cab. I use this exclusively for Sweet Child.
Scene 6 is the same as scene 1 but with the Y cab. It really just gives you two slightly different options for the rhythm tone. I prefer scene 1.

Lastly but very important, is Control Switch 1. Control switch 1 lowers the amp gain, slightly raises the volume, while also adding in a chorus pedal. Rolling back the guitar volume knob cleans up the tone, but not enough for these higher gain pickups. This will lower the gain but also raise the volume to compensate. The control switch works separately from the scenes, so it can be activated and deactivated while using any scene. For example: Paradise City I'll use scene 1 for a completely dry rhythm tone, roll my volume down on the bridge pickup, and activate CS1. As the heavy part comes in I'll roll the volume back up and deactivate CS1. If I hit scene 1 again, it'll jump me to scene 2 which has the reverb, not what I want.
The reason for this switch rather than a second cleaner amp was simply I didn't want the audio cutout when switching amps.

Double lastly, I have reverb set to footswitch 7, and wah set to footswitch 8. For the Sweet Child solo I'll be in Scene 2 in the neck pickup, then as the second part starts I'll switch to the bridge and hit the wah footswitch.

These are the first videos I've ever done, so please don't mind the shitty video quality. It's a nice webcam (Logitech 922 pro), I just suck at video recording. lol

Attachments

• Appetite Slash.syx
    23.3 KB · Views: 401
  • U231_Sweet Child.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 334
  • AFD.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Hi my friend! I tested your preset and it sounds great! When I saved the preset bundle with ax8-Edit it prompts me to save scratchpad1 only (the bridge IR), therefore scenes 5 and 6 have no sound, I missed the neck pickup IR!
Thanks for the upload man!

Hi my friend! I tested your preset and it sounds great! When I saved the preset bundle with ax8-Edit it prompts me to save scratchpad1 only (the bridge IR), therefore scenes 5 and 6 have no sound, I missed the neck pickup IR!
Thanks for the upload man!
Thanks for the feedback, I've added the neck pickup IR to the OP.

Thanks for the kind words! Any video/audio of the gig?
We added some to our Facebook page, but I don't recall if the post featured your patch. BTW, I used it again last night. Its an outstanding rock patch. We are not currently doing any GnR but it kills anything in that vein. Whether appropriate or not, if I recall I used it on BOC, Smithereens, and Cat Scratch Fever, as well as some others. If I can get some on tape Ill post it. Thanks again

We added some to our Facebook page, but I don't recall if the post featured your patch. BTW, I used it again last night. Its an outstanding rock patch. We are not currently doing any GnR but it kills anything in that vein. Whether appropriate or not, if I recall I used it on BOC, Smithereens, and Cat Scratch Fever, as well as some others. If I can get some on tape Ill post it. Thanks again
Awesome, I'm glad you like it!

First time I tried it I thought it was thin...I went back to it again for another listen and decided to load one of the Justin York's (RECTO ST 412 mix 1) IR's and it sounded very nice to my ear. I played around with the reverb and chorus and like another post mentioned it covers a lot of that 80's territory-I also like the fact that you are relying solely on the amp without a drive which sounds cleaner to me always especially when you roll off the volume.
Nice job kid!

First time I tried it I thought it was thin...I went back to it again for another listen and decided to load one of the Justin York's (RECTO ST 412 mix 1) IR's and it sounded very nice to my ear. I played around with the reverb and chorus and like another post mentioned it covers a lot of that 80's territory-I also like the fact that you are relying solely on the amp without a drive which sounds cleaner to me always especially when you roll off the volume.
Nice job kid!
Thanks for the quick review. I agree about the amp gain vs an added drive pedal, I certainly like to stick with that when I can.

I am a noob to this. How do I use this in a axe fx 2? I convert the files. But not sure about the cab bundles and stuff. You did a killer job!!
After you convert the preset to your format all that should be left is to upload the cab files to your cab manager. Then in the preset make sure the correct cabs are selected.

Back
Top Bottom