SLA 2 into 16 or 4 ohm

Just don't run it the bridged mode at 4 Ohms it's not recommended, single sided only.
Good catch, but the info in the manual is a little ambiguous. It's in a section that also states that the load should be at least four ohms, and it's unclear whether the eight-ohms-in-bridged-mode applies to the entire load or just one of a pair of speakers. The specs say it's stable in bridged mode down to four ohms. So which part of the manual should you believe? :)

Good catch, but the info in the manual is a little ambiguous. It's in a section that also states that the load should be at least four ohms, and it's unclear whether the eight-ohms-in-bridged-mode applies to the entire load or just one of a pair of speakers. The specs say it's stable in bridged mode down to four ohms. So which part of the manual should you believe? :)

Yup... I alway error to the side of cation even though I doubt one would ever use that much in a giging situation but never the less it is possible. I did some looking into this when I had my SLA-2 and like you have posted the manuel is ambiguous when it comes to this, better safe then sorry.

Yup... I alway error to the side of cation even though I doubt one would ever use that much in a giging situation but never the less it is possible. I did some looking into this when I had my SLA-2 and like you have posted the manuel is ambiguous when it comes to this, better safe then sorry.

Hi there,
Normally, an amp that will support 4 ohms bridged will be rated as supporting 2 ohms a channel.
If the min suggested load per channel is 4 ohms it would be safe to assume that the min bridged mode would be 8ohm.
Hope this helps.
Best regards
Matt

Thanks, MatrixAmp. That's definitely good knowledge. But it's still not clear what the manual is telling us. It says to keep the total load impedence at 4 ohms or more "for optimum performace and reliability," but that it's "stable into loads as low as 2 ohms (stereo mode), or 4 ohms (bridged mono mode)."

I'm inclined to agree with Sixstring, and err on the side of caution.

I had this issue a number of years back and contacted ART directly. It is 8ohm bridged, but 4ohm won't hurt it..... It'll just likely overheat on you and go into thermal shutdown halfway through your gig. That's what it consistently did to me at 4ohm. In the end I decided I preferred the sound of 4 over 16 so I put a fan in my rack blowing on it and an empty space above it. Was rock solid after that for a couple years of gigging. I now use it in another rig running at 8ohm without the fan. Again, it has very good built in protection so even a thermal shutdown isn't going to damage it.

Back
Top Bottom