"Skipp the wait-list price"?

Seems like a good idea to me. The "get it now" price seems to mainly be a mechanism put in place to curb people buying more than they need and ebaying their surplus for profit. With the $3,500 price in place, there's no reason to buy one from a scalper for more than that.

Strategically speaking, the "line skipping" price needs to be expensive enough that not everybody will just use that option instead of waiting, but cheap enough to discourage scalping. Seems like they hit a good balance pricing it at $1,000 over wait-list price.

I think it's a great idea and works for us, as you guys have said already. I have an empty credit card but it's not that immediate a need for me. I want to be able to use cash (well pay off the CC immediately) So I am saving. Since I was being held captive in a hospital room when it was announced I didn't get on the list until Feb 6th. So I figure I have plenty of time to save.
And that's OK, I have my trusty AX8.. Ain't guitar life wonderful these days.

I wonder why Fractal just didn't limit one per customer on the wait list? It would've had the same effect.
Because profit. It has nothing to do with scalping. They could have easily just limited it to one per customer, at the very least for the role out, and then opened it up to more units once things have died down but instead created a huge craze, made a waitlist, released a few units from the waitlist create some FOMO, and then posted it an exorbitant price so people can leap frog all the other people who made it in line fair and square. Fractal is allowed to do what they want with their products, but it's just shady and everyone knows it. Just like when they charge $750 for a floorboard with a bunch of switch for $750 when it realistically costs them a fraction of that. You gotta make profit, but damn Fractal. Love the axe FX, hate the shady practices.

Because profit. It has nothing to do with scalping. They could have easily just limited it to one per customer, at the very least for the role out, and then opened it up to more units once things have died down but instead created a huge craze, made a waitlist, released a few units from the waitlist create some FOMO, and then posted it an exorbitant price so people can leap frog all the other people who made it in line fair and square. Fractal is allowed to do what they want with their products, but it's just shady and everyone knows it. Just like when they charge $750 for a floorboard with a bunch of switch for $750 when it realistically costs them a fraction of that. You gotta make profit, but damn Fractal. Love the axe FX, hate the shady practices.
there is a lot of heavy opinion here which seems way off-base.

it's like how i go to all the shady bars who buy a bottle of Jameson for $28, then charge me $6 for 1 oz as a shot. shady!!! shots should only be $1!!! some charge $10 for that same shot! shadier!!!

SHADY????? Wow! So wrong....Sad you feel that way.

I just don't get people complaining about this. If you don't like the way a company is doing business, take your business elsewhere. Simple. Why complain about it here? Makes no sense to me. Do you think Fractal is going change what they are doing because a few people are complaining about this? Some people who admittedly won't even be purchasing a III. One of them being the mod of the FB page.

Don't like it? Move on!

You're never going to convince people that have that opinion. Nothing shady about it, just the opposite. But I am preaching to the choir.

My III is in Houston now... 50 miles. Should see the box tomorrow. Now, it hasn't even arrived and I am already planning on how to afford a second. You guys can be shady with me all you want. :)

What people are failing to understand is the lesson I learned the hard way: you can't cut things close in manufacturing and sales. Do people honestly think we send one invitation per one unit produced? We love our customers but we'd be driven crazy by the pressure of that process at this scale. These may be boutique units but they are NOT bespoke. Production must stay ahead by several DAYS, or you'd get days where things spiked and you'd end up disappointing someone. That can't happen, and it is worth padding the entire process to prevent. It's simple: the total number of units that might go to line-jumpers, artists, reviewers, etc. has zero impact on how many batches of invitations will go out, or how often that happens. If anything, there will be that many fewer units in the (large-ish) number of units that will be in the store on the first day the waitlist ends.

there is a lot of heavy opinion here which seems way off-base.

it's like how i go to all the shady bars who buy a bottle of Jameson for $28, then charge me $6 for 1 oz as a shot. shady!!! shots should only be $1!!! some charge $10 for that same shot! shadier!!!

Yes fractal can do whatever they want with their products and charge whatever they like, but lets not lie to all the loyal customers and act like this had anything to do with other people scalping units. People are going to scalp and gouge prices anyway once these $3500 units are sold out and on back order again. There were axe fx IIs selling for $5000-$6000 YEARS after it came out so we all know this does nothing to deter it. People can justify it any way they like, the reality is that this creates a terrible customer perception and makes the company seem shady.

Yes fractal can do whatever they want with their products and charge whatever they like, but lets not lie to all the loyal customers and act like this had anything to do with other people scalping units. People are going to scalp and gouge prices anyway once these $3500 units are sold out and on back order again. There were axe fx IIs selling for $5000-$6000 YEARS after it came out so we all know this does nothing to deter it. People can justify it any way they like, the reality is that this creates a terrible customer perception and makes the company seem shady.

Orrrr, let's try to understand that Fractal was being nice by allowing people to buy more than one unit at a time if they were on the wait list, and are now trying to make sure their products gets into the hands of people who have to have it NOW without taking a risk on an E-Bay sale. How about that?

Why do you care? What's in it for you? Are you on the wait list? I'm a customer and I couldn't care less. It's not terrible. I think it's great.

What people are failing to understand is the lesson I learned the hard way: you can't cut things close in manufacturing and sales. Do people honestly think we send one invitation per one unit produced? We love our customers but we'd be driven crazy by the pressure of that process at this scale. These may be boutique units but they are NOT bespoke. Production must stay ahead by several DAYS, or you'd get days where things spiked and you'd end up disappointing someone. That can't happen, and it is worth padding the entire process to prevent. It's simple: the total number of units that might go to line-jumpers, artists, reviewers, etc. has zero impact on how many batches of invitations will go out, or how often that happens. If anything, there will be that many fewer units in the (large-ish) number of units that will be in the store on the first day the waitlist ends.

Those of us who love your product and know a good bit about running a business support you, M@.

Orrrr, let's try to understand that Fractal was being nice by allowing people to buy more than one unit at a time if they were on the wait list, and are now trying to make sure their products gets into the hands of people who have to have it NOW without taking a risk on an E-Bay sale. How about that?

Why do you care? What's in it for you? Are you on the wait list? I'm a customer and I couldn't care less. It's not terrible. I think it's great.

To quote what someone else on a facebook page had to say about it "Man, that Kool-Aid is really tasty, eh?"

Back
Top Bottom