Skinned for the fun of it...

How did you do it if you don't mind me asking?

Sure. Extracted and edited 3 .png files bg-cu.png, bg-ee-main.png, and bg-grid.png from Axe Edit folder in the AE_v3.paxege(zip file) file which contains the backgrounds and block icons/images. Added up the size of the 3(1024x647) sections and using paint.net program, copied pieces of the image I wanted onto each image file, and just sort of fudged it together. Then copied back into AE_v3.paxege then just open AE. If you like to tinker with images, it's not hard to figure out. Did the same with some of the block icons. Took some time to figure how to size the blocks right.

Last edited:
I really dig it man. I think I'd like a brushed metal panel look for the main surround. Maybe the developers at Fractal will eventually add some customization options and a drop down to choose different visuals.

I really dig it man. Maybe the developers at Fractal will eventually add some customization options and a drop down to choose different looks.

Thanks axel, I've been hoping too. There used to be skin choices from the menu in the beta version way back but that disappeared. You can edit text colors and cable color in the AE_v3.saxey file. Just back up before you do or you'll need to reinstall AE. I made a couple folders for different 'themes' to keep it straight but it's all manual to copy the files around. Each AE update resets everything so I make a back up and use a file compare program to copy the changes into the new one. I'm happy it's editable.

Oh yeah. I remember a couple of years back that Fractal encouraged the skinning.

I think that was still in the JAVA days and since the revamping and not using JAVA anymore I sort of assumed it wouldnt be possible anymore.
It appears I was wrong.

Nice work. I especially like the first one. I do think the bg if the grid makes it harder to read.

Oh yeah. I remember a couple of years back that Fractal encouraged the skinning.

I think that was still in the JAVA days and since the revamping and not using JAVA anymore I sort of assumed it wouldnt be possible anymore.
It appears I was wrong.

Nice work. I especially like the first one. I do think the bg if the grid makes it harder to read.

Thanks Dutch. I agree about the bg. It's an embossed image of a stage shot cover'd posted a long while ago. I like the first one best also.

EDIT: you meant MENU bg. Got it. thanks!

Last edited:
I actually like it but I would rather the effects matrix were kept clear (default). Otherwise it looks kick arse.

I like the idea of keeping the grid and blocks separate from the "panel". Looks great though. Brushed steel/titanium would look sweet if the buttons could be matched with a blue/red line to indicate position.

I actually like it but I would rather the effects matrix were kept clear (default). Otherwise it looks kick arse.
I was thinking that too, depending on the background.

I like the idea of keeping the grid and blocks separate from the "panel". Looks great though. Brushed steel/titanium would look sweet if the buttons could be matched with a blue/red line to indicate position.
"Back in the day" someone had created a blue theme and if I recall it, did have colored button indicators. I like the titanium idea.

Thanks much for the input gents!

hey mate, hows it going? Hey, how would one go about making the Axe Edit program wide screen with everything in proper resolution when its stretched. Most people use wide screen monitors now, and it would be great to have an option to increase the resolution and fill the entire screen no matter what type of monitor you have. Can you do that? Skin looks cool too, by the way. When you drag axe edit out to make it bigger, lots of components like logos and test and fractal logop go even more out of sinc, i.e. they are not vector images so they become really grainy and blurry more so than they already are when you try to make the program "true full screen".

hey mate, hows it going? Hey, how would one go about making the Axe Edit program wide screen with everything in proper resolution when its stretched. Most people use wide screen monitors now, and it would be great to have an option to increase the resolution and fill the entire screen no matter what type of monitor you have. Can you do that? Skin looks cool too, by the way. When you drag axe edit out to make it bigger, lots of components like logos and test and fractal logop go even more out of sinc, i.e. they are not vector images so they become really grainy and blurry more so than they already are when you try to make the program "true full screen".

Thanks nznat. I've only dabbled in swapping out some of the existing existing images. It does get messy trying 'overstrech' the window. Might be a something good to post on the AE wish list.

Back
Top Bottom