Skid row "I remember you solo" question

kevrock

Experienced
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. My question is. The solo to I remember you to get that sound is that just a shitload of gain? Or double track? Cuz to me if it's double tracked I can't tell it was timed perfect. But it sounds so thick and gainy. What are your thoughts. Thanks.

Love that thick solo. Good patch someone uploaded already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were they not using Rivera amps back then? They have a very thick dark marshally gain to em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk using the world's most ironically named cell phone company; sprint.

It's not necessarily a lot of gain by today's standards. And it sure doesn't sound doubled to me. The tone is very mid boosted, almost "woody". And it sounds like it's got some kind of OD or dist pedal driving it. Actually, it almost sounds Boogie-ish. Not too surprisingly, sounds something similar to the solo tone in Sister Christian, and he was using Boogies then too in the studio.

I'd say the thickness comes more from the midrange character than anything else. I'd be looking for IR's that match it.

Does not sound doubled to me, I know Randy Rhoads doubled a lot of his solo's so I know all to well what that sounds like haha. But yeah it's just the tone plus the reverb, delay that gives it the tones you're hearing. THe Axe Can do this so.

They used Marshall JCM 800's on that CD. Boosted with the ever favorite Boss OD/SD-1. One of those yellow pedals.

Anyway...I know for a FACT that almost all of the '80s records like Skid Row, Extreme & White Lion were tracked with the guitar players using an ADA MP1 going to an H&H power amp & a couple three cabinets that were miked up six ways to Sunday.

ok I read and read on the net the consensus is ADA, Michael Wegener? made or mixed like every hair metal band out there...

My #1 all time favorite solo and that killer tone is part of the reason. I have never played an MP-1 but they were massively advertised back in the day.

I don't think that tone was the result of any heavy studio trickery, as he got the same tone playing that solo live. He was using a Kramer (I think), possibly equipped with some special electronics/sustainer?

now I see the cab is in the title free ur from version 13.07

That's my preset. I think I've tweaked it a bit since I posted it, as that JCM800 cab shot I did was with a bass proximity heavy SM58 as well as using my Marshall JMP with tones all at 5 which really colored the shoot. I noticed it to be pretty bass heavy. Also that was a 1302 preset not a 1307.

Either way, It's designed for my BC Rich JR V, and we play it in Eb standard tuning. I have an EMG 85 in the neck for cleans, rhythms and 2nd 1/2 of the solo, and EMG 81 in the bridge for only the 1st 1/ of the solo. The key to this tone for the solo is to nail the pre delay on the reverb with the right volume over-all in your mix, and I think I got it pretty close.

Oh yeah, I also am the only guitar in the band, so it's a little more gain than if you were a 2 guitar band.

Anyway...I know for a FACT that almost all of the '80s records like Skid Row, Extreme & White Lion were tracked with the guitar players using an ADA MP1 going to an H&H power amp & a couple three cabinets that were miked up six ways to Sunday.

ok I read and read on the net the consensus is ADA, Michael Wegener? made or mixed like every hair metal band out there...

I had a couple MP-1's over the years (back in that era). They were pretty cool and definitely were heavily used in lieu of heavily modified Marshalls - they were a lot less temperamental for sure. I know Paul Gilbert was using them back in the Racer-X days and probably for years after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJzJjcKOdVQ

I don't think that tone was the result of any heavy studio trickery, as he got the same tone playing that solo live. He was using a Kramer (I think), possibly equipped with some special electronics/sustainer?
Snake was using a Kramer. On a YouTube video he explains the solo, and he states it was the guitar he recorded it with. It looks like an old (blue) Kramer Focus 1000

The I remember you solo I'm pretty sure was ada mp1 played by Scotti Hill. Mic pres and a bunch of studio eq, comp and whatever else during the mix phase, plus whatever the mastering engineer did.

Back
Top Bottom