SKB Travel Case for Axe-Fx III and FC-12

Admin M@

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
All,

SKB asked me to gauge interest in a padded travel case for the Axe-Fx III and FC12. See the attachment for a mockup/rendering.
The price would be in the neighborhood of $500. 50 pieces would be the minimum order. If anyone would like to help arrange a "group pre-order" project, I can help to make the connections so this can happen. (A similar product offered for competitor products is based on an SKB "Standard" case. The dimensions of our products, however, require a customized version.)

This is a travel case for professionals. Below the FC is a 4U rack to holds the Axe-Fx III.

It would be similar to this:
https://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=1187&o=&offset=&c=160&s=80

Please don't bother to post any "No thank you" messages to clutter this thread.

Attachments

• Fractal 3U Custom Fly Rack1_OR_Gear.jpg
    992 KB · Views: 866
Last edited:
Admin M@

If that’s like the one I saw at the axefest with that one artist, I’d be interested for international travel

Last edited:
This is part of their fly rack line and there is a rack underneath the FC-12 spot. They already make a model for Kemper and Line6. I use the 3U fly rack for my AX3 and it's a nice piece of gear.

Here's the link for Kemper/Line6 version. Fair bet the AFX version will be quite similar.

https://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=1187&o=&offset=&c=160&s=80
It’s cool you have a box to put the rack on too.... hmmmmm.

I mean this is probably more for the touring guys and not the casual gig. But that’s cool to have them both in one box for transport.

I am know a little intrigued. How big of a pedal board can the top accommodate? I don't have an FC12 but a larger Pedaltrain.

I just purchased the 4 space travel case from SKB, the one from the pic above.
The real issue is the weight.
The Kemper is less weight than the Axe III I believe.

When I put my Axe III in the case and it’s already at 43lbs. 50 is airline MAX.
The case with the Axe III and my wireless is coming in at 47lbs.
I don’t think with an FC12 that weight restrictions would be met.
I can get by with my FC6, although I have a F12.

I have been using a Pelican Air case for my AX8, 2 guitar wireless (1 spare), 2 EV pedals, AND 2 in ear systems (1 spare), comes in at 48lbs. Basically been the perfect travel rig.
Really wanted to upgrade to using Axe III for everything, so just purchased the SKB 4 space fly case to try it.

I suppose if you use a 3 space with ONLY Axe III and FC12, no wireless, no other gear or cables, maybe weight could be maintained.

The SKB 4 space will take it’s first flight July 20/21st. I will report back.

Last edited:
I like this idea a lot! My ideal case would however need to stack the following:
Layer for Axe-FX3 (so 3U only)
Layer for expression pedals (these could be mounted on a smaller board)
Layer for RJM GT22 (this is actually slightly narrower than the FC12, but a lot deeper)

If it could fit that then I would be very keen on it!

Like a few others above I'd need the ability to also store 2 EV-1s. Currently using Temple Audio Duo 32.

Attachments

• 3B0AFBF9-53E5-4A64-916B-408E62A5668C.jpeg
    3B0AFBF9-53E5-4A64-916B-408E62A5668C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 171
So why not purchase a Pelican case? I’m a US military officer and this is what the military uses (US and Coalition) from weapons to radios. Gear which is thousands of times more expensive than my AXE III and FC-12.

The Pelican Air cases are the way to go. Just offering another option, way less expensive than $500.00 each.

All customizable for the need...and no I am not affiliated in any way, shape, or form with Pelican.

Attachments

• B6657153-0A16-456D-977E-1520498B9D70.jpeg
    B6657153-0A16-456D-977E-1520498B9D70.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 269
Interesting!!!! I would have to fit my Pedaltrain Jr. with my FC6 mounted on it.

I'm gathering that probably would not be able to happen though....

Admin M@ weight estimates with the axe3 and fc12 and a couple ev’s?

This was the first thing I did and decided it was too heavy for me. I didn't post as M@ requested we avoid "no thanks" posts. But since you asked...

31lbs for this case
15lbs for the Axe3
11lbs for the Fc12

So that's over 57 lbs, then you add pedals at 2 lbs each, and your choice of power strip/ conditioner is a few lbs, then if you have a wireless setup, that adds a little more. Then you have all your cables and extra stuff that will end up getting jammed in there. After I got over 60 lbs I quit. It's nice but I need a lighter setup.

Great idea, but. I prefer to have my III in my rack along with my other rack equipment And then I have my FC12, EV-1 and mission pedal on a Pedaltrain board. I agree with Marco here it's just gonna be too heavy and too expensive. But it could work for some I suppose.

What might be cool though and I know this the Axe thread but what if it was with the FM3 and the FC12 or FC6 in the same case? I plan on using my FC12 with the FM3 anyway and if I could put my Pedaltrain board in the case along with the FM3 then that would be definitely something I'd be interested in. Just a suggestion though.

Great idea, but. I prefer to have my III in my rack along with my other rack equipment And then I have my FC12, EV-1 and mission pedal on a Pedaltrain board. I agree with Marco here it's just gonna be too heavy and too expensive. But it could work for some I suppose.

What might be cool though and I know this the Axe thread but what if it was with the FM3 and the FC12 or FC6 in the same case? I plan on using my FC12 with the FM3 anyway and if I could put my Pedaltrain board in the case along with the FM3 then that would be definitely something I'd be interested in. Just a suggestion though.

This isn’t really for driving around with, this is a flight case so the baggage handlers don’t utterly destroy your gear in transit. I’m specifically looking for international flight solutions so I can bring my gear and jam while I’m in India for extended periods.

This probably not the best solution for those who don’t need to fly; that being said, my only concerns are weight limits on luggage. The price is in line for a flight case and I don’t see that as an issue.

Last edited:
This isn’t really for driving around with, this is a flight case so the baggage handlers don’t utterly destroy your gear in transit. I’m specifically looking for international flight solutions so I can bring my gear and jam while I’m in India for extended periods.

This probably not the best solution for those who don’t need to fly; that being said, my only concern are weight limits on luggage. The price in in line for a flight case and I don’t see that as an issue.

Fair enough, point taken. Good idea for those who need to fly with both the Axe III and their FC's and not have them destroyed by the airlines. But as you mentioned as long as weight isn't an issue and below what is required then yeah sounds like a good idea to me.

Back
Top Bottom