SKB Rack Case Cage Nuts?

Paulg2uk

Power User
Hi guys,

Merry Xmas to you all. Just a quick question for those that own an SKB rack case.

I got 4u rolling rack case for xmas this morning to use with my axe fx. I got the screws and washers in the rack but no cage nuts. Does it need them? I only ask because I've put my power conditioner in the rack with the supplied screws and washers and they have tightened up and are pretty secure.

Did you get any cage nuts with your case?

Cheers

Paul

Hi guys,

Merry Xmas to you all. Just a quick question for those that own an SKB rack case.

I got 4u rolling rack case for xmas this morning to use with my axe fx. I got the screws and washers in the rack but no cage nuts. Does it need them? I only ask because I've put my power conditioner in the rack with the supplied screws and washers and they have tightened up and are pretty secure.

Did you get any cage nuts with your case?

Cheers

Paul
Not sure if yours is different but mine has to use them. But also my case doesn't have threaded holes in it.

Thanks guys just checking. One other question I have a couple of other pieces that I wanted to velcro into the rack case. I've laid a piece of velcro at the back of the rack case but it doesnt seem to be sticking properly I'm guessing its not good to use velcro with the plastic case. What do you do to secure other stuff in your rack?

I have an RJM Mini amp gizmo, RJM Phantom power box and a Voodoo lab ISO 5 power supply powering the Mini amp gizmo.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks guys just checking. One other question I have a couple of other pieces that I wanted to velcro into the rack case. I've laid a piece of velcro at the back of the rack case but it doesnt seem to be sticking properly I'm guessing its not good to use velcro with the plastic case. What do you do to secure other stuff in your rack?

I have an RJM Mini amp gizmo, RJM Phantom power box and a Voodoo lab ISO 5 power supply powering the Mini amp gizmo.

Cheers

Paul

Velcro will work on the smooth internal surfaces of the SKB cases without issue but no dice if you try on any of the textured surfaces.

Cheers

I have 2 different styles of SKB rack cases. One requires the nuts as it does not have threaded rail. The other (roto rack style) has threaded rail and therefore does not need the cage nuts.

Regarding the velcro, I 100% agree with scottburrow. Use a heat gun if you have it to heat up the adhesive. I use 3M dual lock in lieu of velcro and the adhesive starts to smell sort of "sweet" once it's been heated up properly. Make sure you heat it up on a solid surface that won't melt when you use the heat gun (the heat gun could damage the plastic on your rack).

I used to use hot glue in my skb and had to redo it every 2 or 3 years. Once I switched to Velcro, I never had to bother with it again. Remember there is different quality/grades of Velcro...get the good stuff and never look back.

I use an SKB 6u rolling rack. No nuts needed.

...but the AxeFx provides plenty of balls on its own.

Cheers

Paul

I ended up just putting in a metal 1U rack shelf, and the adhesive on the Velcro sticks to it fine (I might have added a bit of Gorrilla glue). My research found that there is no glue that sticks to polyethylene very well. I have a 6U rack, and only use 5U within it, so the metal shelf worked for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I've managed to use some velcro as recommended on the smooth part of the case and it seems to be working. Nearly there, a few more tweaks and it will be ready to Rock!

Back
Top Bottom