SKB PS-100 Mod

reclavea

Fractal Fanatic
I posted this yesterday in the MFC category but decided to also post it here since this is an all in one enclosure for the AxeII and the MFC.

Preview: Went way out on limb on this mod! SKB PS-100

Project almost to completion!

Seems like a stretch (pun!)..... and not for everybody but looks like it will definitely do for my needs! The PS-100 seems to be OK for the Standard or the Ultra, however, it is way too shallow for the Axe II. So this is my answer to utilizing this for the AxeII. I know i'd need to keep a beer spill cover handy when them drunk beauties come up for a request! :)

I currently plan to utilize a Yamaha VP-500 and a Boss FV-50L for expressions which may change in future. I do have a few others around including the Ernie Balls. Overall weight is a key factor as this seems to be an all-in-one type of scenario. Yup...a bit of stretch for sure.

In the pics i'm carrying the PS-100 with the AxeII and the MFC mounted. Very sturdy!

Still needed to complete:

1. Install of Furman 1/2 rack PowerPort
2. Lines 6 G55 Wireless system
3. Pull out handles and roller wheels
4. Powercon out connector (power monitor)

Original SKB PS-100
View attachment 14484
Below, the AxeII mounted on the newly added extension and MFC mounted to the floor board. A Furman Powerport will go on the top left of the AxeII and the Line 6 G55 will mount to the top right.
The MFC will actually mount on the center of the board with 2 expression pedals. One on either side.
Boss FV-50L on the Left and a Yamaha VP-500 on the right.
photo 1.JPG
Mounting brackets under the MFC.
image-1224403380.jpg

Ports:
Pedal, MFC, MIDI in/out, USB, S/PDIF, AES/EBU
photo 1-1.JPG
Test check. With both the AxeII and MFC mounted...looking real good and solid!
View attachment 14489

XLR outputs on left with 1/4" outputs next. The middle 1/4" jacks are monitor outs (output 2). Powercon in on the far right. Yet to install the powercon out for monitor(FR).
photo 3.JPG
Vafam jacks and parts as viewed from the rear opening.
photo 4.JPG

Modified SKB PS-100 case lid. Casters and pull-out handle bracket yet to mount.
View attachment 14493

Last edited:
SKB PS-100 Additional Project photos

Vafam jacks and parts(Han is great!!). I fabricated the faceplate and installed the parts.
View attachment 14531photo 1-7.JPG

Here's the extension for the rack pedal board itself. I used 4 aluminum pieces 2 on each
side screwed together to give me the exact extension length the Axe II would need. I'll add more pics on this on the next post. The face plate is seen here before the work done in the above pics.
View attachment 14532

I pre-drilled the pedal board at precise locations for the MFC and pedals. I then cutoff these aluminum drywall screw studs and screwed them into the pedal board. I then attached brackets to the Axe II and expression pedals and screwed the brackets to these. Nice, solid and very secure!

View attachment 14538
Fabricated fiber glass extension
photo 2-3.JPG

PS-100 lid cover with the cutout for the extention.

photo 5-6.JPGphoto 4-1.JPG

I applied a generous supply of wind shield adhesive to the joint seams for a nice water tight fit and then riveted the extension
to the PS-100
View attachment 14537

Last edited:
more detail pics on PS-100 mod

Aluminum extension brackets. (Again, SKB PS-100 too shallow for AxII). Brass L brackets to mount aluminum face covers (not attached). I cut 2 pieces to appropriate length and attached them together with hex screws. I attached the bottom part of the bracket to the PS-100 using the little rack mounting squares that typically comes with SKB cases. Same thing on the right side.
photo 5-1.JPG

Test check.
Side view, MFC not attached. AxeII is mounted though.
2 - 4 casters will mount to the right bottom.
Pull-out tow handle will mount on the left underside.
View attachment 14547

View attachment 14546
These are actually the mounting pieces from my Gator case, unlike the ones from SKB. I cut these to length and painted. These I used to attach the AxeII to the pedal board.
View attachment 14543
Painted extension covers.
View attachment 14542

Last edited:
I've got a new case I am custom building that will unlatch and "flip up" when completed. In the meantime using the modded
SKB PS-100.

Completed Project:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Recap:

Furman PowerPort and Line 6 G55 Wireless system:

Not as "bulky" as I initially feared! Works for now!!

At the show:

Did you get a final weight on your rig? I had mine at 46Lbs. In fact are you the guy that "Reincaster" is talking about in this thread?

Not sure,.....

I'm familiar with the link thread you provided and shows a similar type of "flip up" case I will build.
Mine would be not as wide.

It will be like 2 separate streamlined cases for the Axe and the MFC that secures or locks together as one case. Yet the 2 can be detached and located separately if called for. Rollers and extension handle utilized as well.

I did not weigh the case but looks like around the weight you have.

I'm very conscious of weight as we all are and constantly looking for ways to cut down.

But, every time I check out my drummers stand case(s)....I'm humbled!
You need a couple guys or a forklift :-(
Yet he manages himself. It's about 5' long with rollers and helps eases transport ....till he gets to his car :-0

The pullout handle is removable as well as the casters.
The casters can be mounted in either direction. One direction allows for a lower pedal board height in the back.
Had to arc weld a steel dowel to keep the casters from swiveling and solid in one direction.

Very cool and nicely done. Another place you can put a handle is on the front of the lid. It comes in handy for those hard to get through places. I used an old handle (flexible type) from a cab DIY that I had laying around and it worked pretty good.

Very cool and nicely done. Another place you can put a handle is on the front of the lid. It comes in handy for those hard to get through places. I used an old handle (flexible type) from a cab DIY that I had laying around and it worked pretty good.

Curious on that handle!

Also.....feels kind a cool arriving at the gig and so freakin' quick to set up!!

Connect 4 cables:

1. Power (Powercon)
2. XLR to FOH
3. 1/4" to XLR floor wedge mon
4. Vcl mic

Ready to Rock!

Back
Top Bottom