SKB injection mold machine time elapse

Nice video.

But i could not stop my head from going... 3D Printer, 3D Printer, 3D Printer, 3D Printer, 3D Printer....

I have no idea how fast an industrial 3D Printer is, but i can see the huge benefits and cost savings a long the way on being able to change your case design with out spending one penny in retooling the machine, injection moulding requires a lot of retooling if you change your design.

In the end i bet is all about how many cases can go out the door in the minimum time possible.

Wow indeed!

Incredible that it would take a machine that big to knock out such a relatively small product!

2.25 million pounds of clamping pressure, crazy. It can handle a 27,000 pound mold. I've worked on 5 to 10 thousand pound molds and thats pretty impressive but 27000, wow.

And 3D printers are not even close to being cost effective just yet. They are really slow and tolerance are high and materials are expensive compared to standard molding practices. I'm a mold maker and i'm hoping that they never to become practical or else i'm out of a job. :(

I've worked on 5 to 10 thousand pound molds and thats pretty impressive but 27000, wow.
:(

Does a 5 - 10000 lb mould relate to the size of the product? - is it proportionally smaller than the flight case component? Why is this thing so damn big ! ?

And 3D printers are not even close to being cost effective just yet. They are really slow and tolerance are high and materials are expensive compared to standard molding practices. I'm a mold maker and i'm hoping that they never to become practical or else i'm out of a job. :(

But they will eventually replace moulding as we know it today, this tech is just at its infancy, but will become mature really really quick.

I say you start saving to buy a really good one because unfortunately your moulding days are counted im afraid.

well, you have injection pressure. In order to form a nice surface and get all the plastic in all the right spots you need injection pressure. If you add up 200 pounds per square inch it starts to add up quickly. If you don't have enough clamping pressure the mold will actually open up the mold while injecting.

I'm not to afraid of my job right now. I really doubt that 3D printers will replace production tooling. They simply cant make a dashboard for a car in every 2 minutes. I've been to a bunch of machine and tool shows and seen the latest technology and its a long way away. I'll hopefully be retired by the time it comes to reality. I hope.

Business must be good :) that machine can't be cheep.

And this is why it costs $200 for a case that is made up of $3 worth of plastic....lol.

That is a really impressive machine!

Random side question: anyone ever have issues with an SKB case causing a ground problem (humming).
I had a 6 space with my Axe and two wireless units in it. And no matter what I did, I could not get any of my gear to work without a constant (very loud) buzz/hum.
I had to unscrew a wireless unit, and pull it out a half inch so it wasn't touching the rails, in order to stop the hum.
I had an electrician buddy of mine come over and we tried grounding the case a bunch of ways, but nothing worked.

I took the same gear out of the case, popped it right back into a regular wood rack case....zero buzz/hum.
It had me baffled.....so I sold the case.

Anyone ever experience this?

And this is why it costs $200 for a case that is made up of $3 worth of plastic....lol.

Random side question: anyone ever have issues with an SKB case causing a ground problem (humming).
I had a 6 space with my Axe and two wireless units in it. And no matter what I did, I could not get any of my gear to work without a constant (very loud) buzz/hum.
I had to unscrew a wireless unit, and pull it out a half inch so it wasn't touching the rails, in order to stop the hum.
I had an electrician buddy of mine come over and we tried grounding the case a bunch of ways, but nothing worked.

I took the same gear out of the case, popped it right back into a regular wood rack case....zero buzz/hum.

Are you sure it wasn't looping on the rails?

I'm not to afraid of my job right now. I really doubt that 3D printers will replace production tooling. They simply cant make a dashboard for a car in every 2 minutes. I've been to a bunch of machine and tool shows and seen the latest technology and its a long way away. I'll hopefully be retired by the time it comes to reality. I hope.

Yep, maybe 15 to 25 years from now something with those nano stuff will be making stuff like dashboards every 10 seconds with 3d printing.

But it will eventually catch up...remember when we had Tascam's 2 or 4 track cassette recorders... today we have handheld devices that can record more tracks and with better quality. Dam i remember the first time my dad came home with an ATARI back in 85', it was one of the happiest days of my childhood! its amazing i can play such games today on my iphone 29 years later, who could imagine.

Have you ever tried shoulder washers? I would use these to get rid of that issue and they work pretty good. There's also Hummfrees rack Isolation tabs but I have never used them.

Have you ever tried shoulder washers? I would use these to get rid of that issue and they work pretty good. There's also Hummfrees rack Isolation tabs but I have never used them.

After I sold it, I actually bought a pack of those (shoulder washers).
I use them on my current rack case just to be safe.

What I couldn't figure out is....why did the SKB do this, but not a regular ATA rack case?
The only difference I can see is that the items are touching aluminum (rails) instead of steel (rails).

I'm talking the EXACT same equipment. Every piece, every cable, in the exact same stacking order.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom