Sit stand desks ?

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Anyone buy a sit stand desk ? I don’t work from home so don’t need it for a typical home office roll, but was considering it more working with various synth keyboards and drum machines.

my normal desk is about 29” high so when you put a keyboard controller or synth on there is about 31” to the key tops and that is way too high to play comfortably, and if I added a pull out drawer then it would be so low I’d bang my knees.

on top of that, when playing guitar it’s nice to be able to have some drum machines etc at more of a standing height like 36” so I don’t need to stoop over.

I see some sit stand desk can go from 24” to about 40” so great for sitting and playing at proper piano height or could raise up for playing stuff standing up.

kind of pricey though but seems like could work really well for my needs and adjust on the fly.

many regrets buy one ?

I think I might just get the legs and then add like a 78”x25” ikea counter top to it to save money and also have lots of space to spread out various keyboards, tabletop synth modules etc

thanks

I bought an Autonomous SmartDesk 3 years ago because I work from home and spending too much time sitting was contributing to my lower back pain. I love everything about it. My studio monitors are on stands on it so I can also record and mix sitting or standing. They have a variety of good looking desks at reasonable prices now: https://www.autonomous.ai/standing-desks. I also bought one of their office chairs, which is solid.

I was thinking it would be nice to have my monitors on the desktop on stands as well so they would be at proper height for sitting and standing work.

I see they have some desk with dual motors that can like like $250 pounds so probably overkill for what I’d need, but then the reviews I see for the cheaper single motor desk seem to also suggest they can be a little wobbly when up high.

mono price, Amazon etc have some pretty cheap legs, under $200, but they seem to be single motor and you have to spend twice that for a dual motor system. I’d rather buy better once and have it strong and stable I’m thinking.

I have an Uplift. The four leg version. Stable. Holds two monitors and two speakers no problem. Plenty of lift power. I recommend buying their frame and then building your own top. $100 and a weekend and you can have a 1" thick wood top with a nice stain on it. Their cheapest, solid wood top, doesn't wear well (I know, I paid for it and am unhappy with it).

https://www.upliftdesk.com/adjustable-height-desks/

I was on the fence about getting one, so I ended up going halfway and bought one of these:
Free Standing Desk Converter

It has been really great as it is solidly made, and easy to adjust. I place both of my 15"MBPs with a single external keyboard and mouse on mine when I stand. Note that is a bit of a squeeze but it works nonetheless. And more than enough room for just 1 MBP.

Still setting up my office, but here's current with the Uplift at the center of it all:

IMG_1998.jpg

You can see the dings on the front edge of that rubberwood top. It's only 2 months old.

Could have easily built a wider top for much, much less money if I'd DIY'ed the top. Will live with the rubberwood for now, but eventually I'll swap it out for a top with my 6" of overhang on the left and right sides. Can lift like 400+ lbs and it doesn't wiggle when you type and work on it the way the 2-leg versions do (we have those in the office and they're shakey, especially when standing).

Will also put the iMac on a monitor arm as well at some point.

To update this thread, I ended up buying the ikea Idasen desk base, $449. It is solid as a rock at any height and goes from like 24 to 48”. Certainly not the cheapest base each riser column is wobble free and it’s got a 10 year warranty. So far I feel
Money well spent

trying a few options for a top still, but real happy with the legs. Also looks a bit more industrial than commercial office furniture which I like.

excuse the kids toys. Was building it out in the entry hallway 4F2772C9-98F7-4168-B209-F8B15AA21F52.jpeg

To update this thread, I ended up buying the ikea Idasen desk base, $449. It is solid as a rock at any height and goes from like 24 to 48”. Certainly not the cheapest base each riser column is wobble free and it’s got a 10 year warranty. So far I feel
Money well spent

trying a few options for a top still, but real happy with the legs. Also looks a bit more industrial than commercial office furniture which I like.

excuse the kids toys. Was building it out in the entry hallway View attachment 81900

I was looking at another one, but the price on some of the real wood tops is insane.

A while back, when the first lockdown happened and it was basically impossible to buy office furniture anywhere, I was going to cobble together a work desk with a couple of saw horses and one of these. https://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Baltic...cher-Block-Birch-Kitchen-Countertop/999931664

The price has actually gone up it looks like. It was about $200 when I was going to buy one before, but it's still a lot cheaper than most of the alternatives, and it's actually real wood. Could be left bare, oiled, stained, lacquered, etc.

* Not at that link, but if you just search for butcher block on there, there are cheaper ones even from the same company. I don't know the differences, but one 6' one is $189.

Still setting up my office, but here's current with the Uplift at the center of it all:

View attachment 79926

You can see the dings on the front edge of that rubberwood top. It's only 2 months old.

Could have easily built a wider top for much, much less money if I'd DIY'ed the top. Will live with the rubberwood for now, but eventually I'll swap it out for a top with my 6" of overhang on the left and right sides. Can lift like 400+ lbs and it doesn't wiggle when you type and work on it the way the 2-leg versions do (we have those in the office and they're shakey, especially when standing).

Will also put the iMac on a monitor arm as well at some point.
What size are your screens? I need dual monitors for my work. I’ve been dealing with tight hamstrings/back off and on since working from home since March 2020 so in market for same time of setups. I got spoiled with the in-office standing desk.

I’m looking to have probably a 61 key midi controller along with my computer keyboard. The Uplift looks like it could accommodate the midi controller on the top deck and then a computer keyboard/mouse mounted underneath via optional attachment? Or maybe vise versa

What size are your screens?
iMac is 27" as is the LG. The LG is on a monitor arm. I highly recommend monitor arms (though it's much harder to find one that works with an iMac).

The Uplift I have will easily accomodate your screens, keyboard and then a mouse-keyboard thing. Either on top of the desk or with under-desk mounts.

I recommend building your own top. Much cheaper than what Uplift charges and you can make a much nicer top for far less.

iMac is 27" as is the LG. The LG is on a monitor arm. I highly recommend monitor arms (though it's much harder to find one that works with an iMac).

The Uplift I have will easily accomodate your screens, keyboard and then a mouse-keyboard thing. Either on top of the desk or with under-desk mounts.
ErgoMart.com has them.

I recommend building your own top. Much cheaper than what Uplift charges and you can make a much nicer top for far less.
I need to next talk my company into permanent WFH so I can max this. They are under this illusion that you need to see people in person to be collaborative, something my team has disproven in last year+

I need to next talk my company into permanent WFH so I can max this. They are under this illusion that you need to see people in person to be collaborative, something my team has disproven in last year+
Yea, that's a load of bullpucky that is. My company went perma-WFH if you want 3 months into quarantine when they saw how productive things were and how much they'll save on Bay Area real estate if they don't have find a desk for everyone in Oakland.

We get a ton of stuff done with WFH. If I was at the office, a solid 50% of my time is spent getting pulled into things that have nothing to do with my main projects. The problem with my job, is that the head guy is really a micromanager at heart, and if he can't stick his head in my office every two hours to "see how things are going" he has nothing to do it seems. I'm still primarily WFH, going in once every week or two, but he's already rumbling about engineering falling behind on projects (we're not) and that it's mostly due to WFH. We have to have a physical office, since most of the company is manufacturing things. Engineering is only six people out of 40+ at our location, and a much smaller percentage at the main corporate campus in the midwest.

My company has been on an “innovation” corporate buzzword kick. They talk about innovation and then in same breath talk about how we need to be in person to innovate. LMAO.

So for those with proper acoustic treatment, any considerations between listening standing vs sitting? Does it really mess with your soundstage? Or something you actually have to plan for?

Back
Top Bottom