Sir Terry Pratchett

Zwiebelchen

Fractal Fanatic
At last, Sir Terry, we must walk together.
Terry took Death's arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.

THE END
He will never be forgotten.

“And he goes around killing people?” said Mort. He shook his head. “There’s no justice.”

Death sighed. No, he said,... there’s just me.

Indeed. RIP Sir Pratchett. You had a PLN and it was great.

Allow me to correct the capitalization in this one:

"AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER"
Terry took Death's arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.

One of the very few greats of the genre. He will be missed.

RIP.

I had the rare privilege of meeting him as kid. I didn't think much of it at the time (22 years ago). Now I wish that i'd embraced the opportunity to consult with such a unique mind. Such is the mentality of a child.

Not interested in Fantasy, but I've been thinking about his recent collaboration with Stephen Baxter, The Long Earth series. Good thing they just rounded it up, I guess.

I don't think that Discworld was suited only for fantasy lovers; I think they were pretty accessable even for the non-genre-savvy ... it's a shame that discworld never got the same attention as Lord of the Rings. Also, let's not forget that he wrote a lot of great children's books and fairytales (actually, he only ever won literature awards with his children's books).

So, for those who loved his books; what's your favorite or which locations and characters did you like most?
I think Reaper Man was imho the best of his series ... obviously, as the main character is Death himself. Who wouldn't like that? ;)

I don't get why people dislike the Tiffany arc, though. I think it was cute and a nice change compared to the 'darker' settings of the City Guard or Moist von Lipwig arcs.

Oh, let's not forget the most important side character ever written: Cut-My-Own-Throat Dibbler

Last edited:
"Where's My Cow" is a favourite with our kids.

The Wee Free Men and Tiffany Aching were my favourite Discworld arc. Close second goes to the The Witches. And then the Night's Watch adventures. But, honestly, it's really hard to nail it down like that. I loved so much of all the the different story lines. The wild contradictions and absurd logical fallacies of life on Discworld were really awesome. Coming from "hard core" fantasy and sci-fi, where everything is thought out to the Nth degree, it can be really jarring to enter Discworld and Pratchett's "loss and fast" way of explaining the unexplainable in this fantasy land. But it's awesome if you just relax your mind and enjoy it.

I think what made Discworld such a stroke of genius was how T.P. managed to describe persons and locations without ever actually delivering a detailed description. You could instantly imagine how a place or person looked like just from what happened or how the person talked. Think of Igor or Dibbler here; or Albert or Adora Belle Dearheart. Just read one page of dialogue with them and you instantly had an image in your mind. The lack of wordy descriptions made the plot move faster, more dynamicly and funnier to read.

In comparison, I absolutely despised the works of J.K. Rowling as it was basicly the direct opposite in that regard: pages long of forgettable descriptions, yet dumb dialogue that didn't even match the descriptions the slightest.

This man was a legend, I cannot be more grateful for all the amazing books he wrote in his lifetime, and the awesome humour!

Who else would have come up with a vampire with a suicidal love of flash photography!? I mean, having to wear a vial of blood around his neck, ingenious! :D

Such great memories.

Back
Top Bottom