Single vs multiple volumes

Yeah, I really like the Les Paul-style 2-volume arrangement so's I can roll back the neck pickup volume for a cleaner tone and then switch between a hot bridge pickup and a cooler neck pickup. I've never cared for the in-between tones so that works fine for me. My go-to guitars for doing that are PRS Singlecuts and 594s. I much prefer the control layout on the 594s. That aspect of the PRS DGT also appealed to me when they were announced, but I don't think I've ever even touched one of those guitars and really couldn't say why that's never happened.

Well I’ll most likely start with the 500k and .0022uf for starters, since I already have those. This was a cheap guitar $500 and I’m going to try to live with the stock pickups for now. Compared to the Duncan P-rails on 2 of my guitars the PRS pups don’t sound as P90ish and higher output. If I’m not happy with that then I’ll try the 1M pot with the .0033uf. Going to put it on the neck only. Nice having 4 knobs.

Man I would love to have a DGT or 594 but they’re pricey. They make an S2 594 and I’ve been watching those. I have a 2006 Singlecut trem but it’s the 2 knobber that I’m always looking for a clean way to get 2 volumes plus tone.

Could put a pull pot for the neck tone to trim teh lowz. 3nF is the value used in the Jaguar circuit. You can parallel it with a 1M or so resistor to limit the cut and prevent pops....

You could also get a low-turns P90 to trim the bottom and add some sparkle....
Fralin makes some nice ones. Might be able to get something similar to Gibson's "Blues 90". They sound nice in my Blues Hawk....
20210401_204440.jpg

Definitely interested in all of those, however...
Zexcoils - not sure about replacing the pickups in my EJ
Ilitch - kind of a big production, details aren't completely clear, or weren't last time I checked, at least to me
Ulbrick - that's a new one on me, never heard of it, interesting though, tech install recommended

And you're right, they're all somewhat pricey.

For Zexcoils, the consensus I've found is that they're the only hum cancelling pickups to recreate accurately a single coil sound. I've called them, and I spoke to Scott Lawing, who was very cool. It's just a cool design. I found this article interesting.

I was interested in Ilitch because I read that was the basis of the Suhr Silent Single Coil System at first, and that was enough for me haha.

And for Ulbrick, I just discovered them this past week, and their demo video is very very impressive, plus it's less expensive than the Ilitch. I don't buy that it takes a tech to install; I think they're being cautious when they say that. They have the instructions on their website if I'm remembering correctly.

Very cool, best of both worlds. I've been a P90 fan for a long time, but frankly I'm sick of the interference from my strat's single coils. This could be a nice solution.

Only available in the Gibson version though, not the Epiphone, right?
Not sure on availability. These "Blues 90" pickups are low-wind P90-shaped pickups with Fenderesque rod magnets. Somewhere between a P90 and a Fender....

Yes the Ulbrick has instructions, and they're not rocket science. Not clear why they recommend a tech, unless they want to be able to tell you anything wrong is your fault because you didn't use one.

Ditto on the Ilitch, and it's cheaper than a Suhr, but Suhrs have other advantages, and one significant di$advantage, plus I didn't completely love the ones I've played.

Zexcoil seems like the best shot in many ways, but it's hard to guess which set I'd like best, and they're too expensive to experiment. I should probably talk to them.

Don't know about the pickups by themselves, but the Blues Hawk seems to be unobtanium at the moment.
Fralin makes hum-cancelling ones of both regular P90 variety and something like the Blues90. Kinda pricey, though.

My BluesHawk is an older one, bought from a friend down in Tucson....

Yes the Ulbrick has instructions, and they're not rocket science. Not clear why they recommend a tech, unless they want to be able to tell you anything wrong is your fault because you didn't use one.

Ditto on the Ilitch, and it's cheaper than a Suhr, but Suhrs have other advantages, and one significant di$advantage, plus I didn't completely love the ones I've played.

Zexcoil seems like the best shot in many ways, but it's hard to guess which set I'd like best, and they're too expensive to experiment. I should probably talk to them.

The big thing I'm always on the lookout for is a noiseless split, and although Kinman has talked about it (and EMG has several, but I'm dubious of how good the single-coils would sound), Lawing has the Zexcoil Tribucker and new David Gilmour based DDS1, both of which are really cool looking. Right now I'm really interested to try an Ulbrick to split my Saturday Night Specials.

The big thing I'm always on the lookout for is a noiseless split, and although Kinman has talked about it (and EMG has several, but I'm dubious of how good the single-coils would sound), Lawing has the Zexcoil Tribucker and new David Gilmour based DDS1, both of which are really cool looking. Right now I'm really interested to try an Ulbrick to split my Saturday Night Specials.
By "noiseless split", you mean that you can "split" the coils of a single pickup and have it stay noise cancelling?

What exactly do you mean by splitting the coils?
These terms get used pretty loosely, not that you have, just clarifying which meaning you mean.
Using only one of them (arguably the most accurate use of the term "split")?
Putting them in parallel instead of series within a single pickup?
Using only part of each coil (most accurately called tapping, not splitting)?

By "noiseless split", you mean that you can "split" the coils of a single pickup and have it stay noise cancelling?

These terms get used pretty loosely, not that you have, just clarifying which meaning you mean.
They have a couple "guts shots" on their site. The singles are 6 coils, one per string. Likely their bucker has 12, and drops to 6 from one row when "split"

I just mean running activating only one coil of a humbucker. 🙂 And i should say that I am using that term loosely here, in the sense that I know Zexcoils are not that at all, they just are the sonic equivalent of that. With a Zexcoil Tribucker, you have twelve coils going, but "split," you're running just six haha. With EMGs, they have a weird stacked coil thing with three coils going, where, for their "split" sound, they deactivate one coil and activate another one, but each is running with a third that cancels the hum for the other two regardless. For Kinman, I have no idea what they do; it's some patented weird thing.

But I do just mean getting the tone of a single coil in a humbucker, not actually technically splitting, and definitely not tapping.

And, just because this is all in text and I can't put across my tone (no pun intended), I'm using quotation marks just to emphasize how loosely I'm using the term, not to be a sarcastic dick haha!

Back
Top Bottom