Single mics over Mix IRs for live?

Random Hero

Inspired
Anybody else preferring this?

I love the @York Audio stuff and tend to gravitate toward the 01 Mix in most packs for home playing but in my live patches I nearly always go for a single mic IR, and 99.9% of the time it’s the trusty SM57.

I guess there’s beauty in the simplicity of a tried and tested mic for live guitar tones. Anybody else doing similar?

It makes perfect sense. When we use real amps at a gig, it's normally mic'ed with just a 57. It cuts in the mix, and the 57 tends to be "the sound" we think of when it comes to electric guitar. My favorite single mic is the 58 though. It's got a really cool character to it, and I like how it naturally smooths out the top end and accentuates the mids a little more.

Prefaction.. I m a bedroom player.. But let me have a question.. How can in fact a cheap mic be better than a x5 price list? I mean is not that the sm57 is so used due to price point? And because in the past not famous bands didnt have chance to have better and didnt have choice like today with irs? Is the 57 better than the neumann u87 for example?

Prefaction.. I m a bedroom player.. But let me have a question.. How can in fact a cheap mic be better than a x5 price list? I mean is not that the sm57 is so used due to price point? And because in the past not famous bands didnt have chance to have better and didnt have choice like today with irs? Is the 57 better than the neumann u87 for example?
The price of a mic and its value to the user are two different things. I capture cabs with a standard $100 57 as well as a $9,000 Telefunken U47 large diaphragm tube condenser mic. Even though the U47 is absurdly expensive (it was a gift, and I'd never pay that much for a microphone), most people tend to prefer the 57 because it's a more familiar sound that appeals to them.

I could release a pack without the $9,000 U47 and would probably only get a couple emails from people wishing it was included. But if I released a pack without the $100 57... well, let's just say that isn't an option because my inbox would be flooded with people asking why.

You can gauge the true value of something when people don't have to pay for it and still use it or want it. In the IR world, a U47 isn't worth 9k, but a GOOD 57 is worth its weight in gold.

Back
Top Bottom