Single guitar band

Moshermax9

So I'm in a cover band and the only guitarist and want to fill out the sound. I have two cabs and was looking to run them stereo with each on a different amp model to fill out the sound. Each cab being on a side of the stage. But I'm looking to see what anyone here does or has any suggestions I should try.

Get a TC electronics Mimiq pedal and plug it into your effects loop. Place the FX block after the cab block. This will make you sound like 2 guitarists. Works great.

Get a TC electronics Mimiq pedal and plug it into your effects loop. Place the FX block after the cab block. This will make you sound like 2 guitarists. Works great.
Now I don't use any cab blocks because I run into live cabs would it work without the cab blocks

So let me just make sure I have this right I should run it Fx (OD, Wah) -> Amp -> Fx (delay , reverb , chorus) -> fx loop with the pedal running stereo to the power amp to each cab?
I'd probably run the Mimiq in the FX Loop right after the Amp & Cab blocks & before any delay & reverb.

Some have good results with the enhancer block.
I've seen a lot of people talk about the enhancer. How would I go about running the enhancer, and I know it supposed to widen the stereo field but is there anything else it does that I guess fills out the sound

I disagree with the suggestion that a 3rd party pedal would be needed to get a good doubler effect. If you want to play with that, use variable delays. Look for some discussion on this forum about the Dynaflanger, which is basically an envelope controlled delay. These things all sound so distinctive as to border on strange, however.

I mostly disagree with the suggestion to play with haas delays, though you'd have to try it yourself. If you do, listen from a few different parts of the stage and be sure to find those points where you've got weird phase canceling or reinforcement. It might be fun for you, but it doesn't always translate well for other band members or the audience.

I would say the key to "filling out the sound" is to have the right tone in the first place—one that sits well with your band's sound and mix. Then get your guitar in the P.A. and let it be heard properly. This will sound very natural and has worked through the years for thousands of musicians in bands with just one guitarist.

I like your first idea too, of creating two different signal paths with different tones and running them in to two different speakers. Don't rush towards placing the speaker cabs in a wide position however—what you're after is a tone that is sonically broad and dynamic, not necessarily one that is physically separated. Some physical separation is great, but don't overdo it. Speaker height as well as width can be manipulated. Also explore what happens when the different sides have different amounts of distortion, or altogether different effects.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of people talk about the enhancer. How would I go about running the enhancer, and I know it supposed to widen the stereo field but is there anything else it does that I guess fills out the sound

check out Danni's video above if you have not, it goes over it pretty well. Personally I don't use it live, I use stereo hard panned left and right. I don't want it to sound less tight like 2 guitarists, I want it water tight like a dolphins butt :)

I like the enhancer or haas effect for chords. Single note stuff sounds to chorus / phasey to me. If you use I'd recommend use it only on certain patches

I like the enhancer or haas effect for chords. Single note stuff sounds to chorus / phasey to me. If you use I'd recommend use it only on certain patches

I do the same. I use a little bit of the Enhancer on some presets, but not all. The ones that use a chorus or phaser are where the Enhancer really shines, IMO.

Sounds pretty much like the Haas effect in the Danny Danzi video, and you don't have to buy a pedal to do it.

Back
Top Bottom