Single Cabinet Stereo Powered FRFR Speaker

ruso

Fractal Fanatic
Hello everyone!

Please excuse me if this has already been answered, but after hours of searching, I have been unable to find any information on this forum, probably due to the similarities of the search terms to what exists and what I am searching for.

I am looking for a single cabinet, stereo powered FRFR speaker to use with the AX8 that is currently on order. Ideally, I would prefer to have a pair of 10” or 12” powered FRFF monitors for better stereo separation, but with current my space limitations, I need something a lot more compact.

So far I have found the following products that have less than stellar reviews:

Line 6 Amplifi Series
Marshall Stanmore Series
Marshall Woburn Series

I’m looking for something no-frills, with a good flat response. It can be a single woofer, dual midrange and/or tweeter or dual woofer setup, as long as it isn’t too large. I can get away with a single powered 10” wedge, but I would just prefer to have something with stereo capabilities. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Thank you Nathan! The Gemini 2 looks very promising, but unfortunately it’s a little too large for the space I’m dealing with.

I found a few more options, but haven’t heard much in terms of reviews:

Korg Konnect
Mackie Freeplay
Roland Cube Strret EX

Stereo without physical distance has always disappointed me with minimal perceived effect, not to mention harder to move around, heavy cabinets

I’d go two mono enclosures, and space them apart as your venue allows. More versatile, better spread.

I run CLRs in stereo and the sound field is amazing with the Fractal delays and reverbs

OK, coming clean here...
I've been using a Line 6 Amplifi 150 as my FRFR for maybe two years. Is it ideal for anyone? Maybe not... but for me it worked out. And I'm really not a big Line 6 aficionado. Like at all.

The built in amp/cab/fx are the same theory, though not near the same quality, as what FAS does. The Bluetooth interface is maddeningly inconsistent. The built in handle is streamlined but not very comfortable. The quantized volume knob has pretty big volume changes per click IMO. The software updates had hurt, not helped... The control app is mediocre...I could go on.

Why consider it then?

I made a patch to bypass all amp/cab/fx with only an EQ active in the chain- voila, tuneable FRFR! I rolled back to an early firmware version which lets me save this patch as the default on startup, and haven't done any more updates. I run from AX8 to the Amplifi guitar input- I have no need therefore to use the control app or rely on Bluetooth utilization. I rarely move it, so the handle is not an issue. I use the Amplifi volume for coarse adjustment, and the AX8 for fine vol adj.

For a stereo, multi speaker (including a Celestion 12, IIRC) 150 solid state watt FRFR setup, it does what I need. That said, I do not posses the auditory finesse that many here do, and it may be too much of a blunt weapon for some. But as poor as sales seem to have been, you should be able to get a good deal on it used. It might make some sense to check it out, it might not. But even though the reviews are not glowing (and I concur with them), when you bypass most of the software and use it as a straight FRFR it passes the reasonable man test. Or, at least, the reasonable Dendrite test :)

Mine? Christmas gift from family, so there was NO way to move it on without creating some undue family drama. Adapt and overcome, right?

Last edited:
So many years later but I recently got a Marshall Woburn III and I'm happy so far.

I did some latency testing and I think we're good to go. I'm seeing maybe 1ms delay, but that could even be speaker speed when comparing against headphones?

You can see in the below that the bottom track is the click source, and I recorded using internal MacBook Pro speakers, Grado headphones plugged into the jack, and output from the Woburn.

Right off the bat the output/input latency of the system is about 35ms. But the real relevant comparison is between the headphones and the Woburn, both running from the same 3.5mm jack. Here it's only about a 1ms different, which again might just be speaker physics.

Got the speaker for $500 refurbished on eBay. Honestly, whether looking at pro or consumer gear I think it might be hard to beat this for a 15 pound, loud, clear (confirmed by rtings.com), some stereo separation (I want to run different mic IR's to each channel) setup.

It's easy for me to imagine stuffing this and the Fractal FM3 into a large backpack and carrying my guitar to a jam. Or tying a carry strap around it and carrying it one hand. Whatever

Screenshot 2023-08-10 at 11.47.52 PM.png

So many years later but I recently got a Marshall Woburn III and I'm happy so far.

I did some latency testing and I think we're good to go. I'm seeing maybe 1ms delay, but that could even be speaker speed when comparing against headphones?

You can see in the below that the bottom track is the click source, and I recorded using internal MacBook Pro speakers, Grado headphones plugged into the jack, and output from the Woburn.

Right off the bat the output/input latency of the system is about 35ms. But the real relevant comparison is between the headphones and the Woburn, both running from the same 3.5mm jack. Here it's only about a 1ms different, which again might just be speaker physics.

Got the speaker for $500 refurbished on eBay. Honestly, whether looking at pro or consumer gear I think it might be hard to beat this for a 15 pound, loud, clear (confirmed by rtings.com), some stereo separation (I want to run different mic IR's to each channel) setup.

It's easy for me to imagine stuffing this and the Fractal FM3 into a large backpack and carrying my guitar to a jam. Or tying a carry strap around it and carrying it one hand. Whatever

View attachment 125023
How do you do stereo in through the single AUX input for the Fractal?

How do you do stereo in through the single AUX input for the Fractal?
The quick thing that I've done so far is just connecting a 3.5mm stereo cable from the FM3 headphone out to the Woburn AUX in.

The Woburn also has RCA jacks in the back, so you could run a stereo source to that too. Another option would be to run two separate sources (i.e. an amp modeler and a drum machine, or jam track) as separate mono sources into the two RCA jacks.

Cool little box, and way lighter than expected especially because my brain looks at it and expects it to have the heft of something tube-driven.

Stereo without physical distance has always disappointed me with minimal perceived effect, not to mention harder to move around, heavy cabinets

I’d go two mono enclosures, and space them apart as your venue allows. More versatile, better spread.

I run CLRs in stereo and the sound field is amazing with the Fractal delays and reverbs
Totally correct. This is mostly due to phase cancelling. I had a Traynor K4 that I sold; heavy as a dead horse; sound colouring and the stereo experience was not satisfactory.

I've been gigging with a GR Guitar AT G210A, 2x10 FRFR with my FM8.
Powered stereo 150w X 2. Really happy with the tone, can keep up with a full band at half volume.
Carbon fiber so its really light (17.5 lb).
There is a wall between the 2 drivers so you get some separation, but its definitely not wide stereo.
https://www.grguitar.com/portfolio/at-g210a-st/
Given the origin of the manufacturer, it seems to be a direct competitor to Redsound, use of HP SICA as with RedSound....

Actually 8kg for an amplified 2X10" it's very light!

I looked at the range a bit, there are 1 CAB and Stereo 2CAB mono amps, it seems that the electronics are identical, in any case the preamp part.
So on mono amps it sums signals.

Back
Top Bottom