Singing through the Axe-Fx III using a dynamic mic... Problems?

Ugly Bunny

Power User
After not a little frustration today, I learned that you basically NEED to have an external mic pre for a mic to go through the Axe.

Does anyone know if there's a good workaround for this or plans in the future so you don't need anything external? Or is this a hardware thing? The Helix has a mic input that works like any normal mic input (built in mic pre) so I kinda took for granted that would be the case here. I happened to have an old ART Tube MP Studio V3 laying around which works wonderfully, but I was hoping to not have to use any outboard gear. However, if I just plug the mic directly into the jack (Input 2), I have to crank the gain and therefore crank the noise volume as well.

Anyway, just wondering if this is in the works or if "it is what it is" - which isn't necessarily a problem, just a musing.

Anyone have really great settings for voice, with nice compression, ambience, EQ, etc.? Are there any really great effects that are designed for voice? Thanks all!

After not a little frustration today, I learned that you basically NEED to have an external mic pre for a mic to go through the Axe.

Does anyone know if there's a good workaround for this or plans in the future so you don't need anything external? Or is this a hardware thing? The Helix has a mic input that works like any normal mic input (built in mic pre) so I kinda took for granted that would be the case here. I happened to have an old ART Tube MP Studio V3 laying around which works wonderfully, but I was hoping to not have to use any outboard gear. However, if I just plug the mic directly into the jack (Input 2), I have to crank the gain and therefore crank the noise volume as well.

Anyway, just wondering if this is in the works or if "it is what it is" - which isn't necessarily a problem, just a musing.

Anyone have really great settings for voice, with nice compression, ambience, EQ, etc.? Are there any really great effects that are designed for voice? Thanks all!
Have you experimented with the instrument input settings? Let’s say you only ever want to use input 2 for your mic, you could try and see if turning up that input level gets you to a decent starting gain. Is there a way to adjust the impedance on the different instrument inputs as well? If so, try the lowest impedance possible so you have the highest output before gain. I’d also recommend starting out with a clean signal chain inside your Axe 3, and by that I mean no amps or cabs, just the input # your mic is plugged into, the studio compressor block, and the output block. The compressor will help get the vocal to steady level and give you an opportunity for some clean makeup gain as well. Just some ideas FWIW

Have you experimented with the instrument input settings? Let’s say you only ever want to use input 2 for your mic, you could try and see if turning up that input level gets you to a decent starting gain. Is there a way to adjust the impedance on the different instrument inputs as well? If so, try the lowest impedance possible so you have the highest output before gain. I’d also recommend starting out with a clean signal chain inside your Axe 3, and by that I mean no amps or cabs, just the input # your mic is plugged into, the studio compressor block, and the output block. The compressor will help get the vocal to steady level and give you an opportunity for some clean makeup gain as well. Just some ideas FWIW
Okay, I take it all back hahaha I went through the manual again and I think the biggest clue in there that answers your question is the process for creating IR’s, which requires an external mic pre. The good news is that with your ART tube mic pre that it’s small enough to be mounted covertly to the inside of the rear lid of an effects rack behind your AX3 pretty comfortably. Hope that helps!

Does anyone know if there's a good workaround for this or plans in the future so you don't need anything external? Or is this a hardware thing?
Hardware thing: you definitve need an external Mic Preamp, the Axe did not have built in.

Yeah, sorry, guys; Like I said, there's no built-in mic preamp and plugging a mic in and getting it up to any decent level adds in an absurd amount of noise, even with the gate.

But it's okay. The preamp works fine, especially since I'll just be using it at home. Thanks for all the answers, everyone. I'm actually a little surprised that a mic pre wasn't built in, but it's cool. The rest of the unit is blowing my mind, so I can let that one go :)

Ha, no I get that. Not sure why I included it in the information since it's not relevant. I guess it was because there is no noise when the gate is active, but then when I vocalize, the noise that's there along with my voice, is overwhelming. No biggie. Thanks for responding, though :)

Ha, no I get that. Not sure why I included it in the information since it's not relevant. I guess it was because there is no noise when the gate is active, but then when I vocalize, the noise that's there along with my voice, is overwhelming. No biggie. Thanks for responding, though :)

Just curious-- How did you wire up the pre-amp with the III? What did you signal chain look like?

Just curious-- How did you wire up the pre-amp with the III? What did you signal chain look like?
Fairly straightforawd: just plugged the Beta 58A into the Art preamp mic in and then a quarter inch jumper from the Art's preamp to the Axe's Input 2. As far as gain staging, I just had things on the Art set about noonish; so that I was getting the most signal from the Art without overdriving it - can't remember exactly what preset I was using on the Art, but probably the "Warm > Vocal."

Works like a dream!

EDIT: If I haven't changed the setting since I used the preamp last, looks like both the input and output knobs are at about 3 o'clock, so fairly high, but no clipping.

Last edited:
Does that work? Or do you need an external preamp
You'll need SOME sort of additional gear; either a mic pre or, as GlennO uses, a phantom power adapter. You won't be able to plug a condenser or dynamic mic in by itself and get a usable signal, if any signal at all.

An AxeFX is an excellent mic pre. Just dial in a preset with the tube pre preamp. My mic pre sits unused these days. I just use a phantom power adapter for the mic.
This. Or use a dynamic mic and skip the phantom power altogether.

Quick tech question, what makes a mic preamp better than boosting it in the box? How does boosting the level through a preamp generate/boost less noise than digital?

This. Or use a dynamic mic and skip the phantom power altogether.
Nah, a dynamic won't work; it needs more signal. This is my original thread from 3 years ago :sweatsmile: While you can hear a little something without a mic pre, you'll have to mega boost the gain so much that the signal to noise ratio becomes quite unusable. You need a mic pre for sure with a dynamic. I can't speak to the condenser usage, however.

Quick tech question, what makes a mic preamp better than boosting it in the box? How does boosting the level through a preamp generate/boost less noise than digital?
In the Axe Fx, it's a problem with signal to noise ratio. See my OP; you have to crank the gain and it boosts the noise as well.

Back
Top Bottom