Singers suck!

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
So my band has a gig at the Sacramento County Fair tonight. We're an originals only band and we have a 45 minute set at 8:30.

Our singer texts this morning to cancel because she doesn't feel well...

Apparently, she never heard the expression "the show must go on"!

Fortunately, I was able to track down our previous singer - who has been out of the band for almost 4 years - and even though she is in Reno and was up until 4am, she is going to cover the show for us tonight.

Fortunately, she wrote many of the tunes with us so that helps.

So... Singers suck! But some are also pretty cool :cool:

/rant

Don’t get me started...

“How many singers does it take to screw in a light bulb? Just one. They hold up the bulb and the world revolves around them.”
Exactly!

Seriously, singers for us are like drummers for Spinal Tap!

Over the 25+ years of doing this band, I think we've had at least 15... Several for years at a time.

And we try to accommodate them, too!

Assuming this gig goes well (as well as expected, anyway) then we'll get the old singer to do our gig next weekend at another Fair, and sayonara to the current one.

It’s a two-edged sword, for sure. A good one is solid gold and worth keeping happy. But their instrument is a body part and, for them, a sore throat is like me cutting my fingertips. And how many more sore throats have I had than multi-finger lacerations? The odds aren’t in their favor. ;)

I’ve done the “one main singer” thing a few times. I’m happier in my current band where 4 people can sing lead vocals, and the regular four hour night is shared between three of us, with the 4th kicking in 2 tunes. Lots of supporting harmony available too.

Sometimes one of us can’t sing due to throat issues, but we can still play and we just slide the vocal duties to those who are healthy. When your whole band has seen more than half a century, redundancy is the better part of valor!

Uhh ... if I was notified that a member of my band was complaining about me in an online forum, I would get out of that band asap, or get rid of that band member ... :cool:
Well... Since it's my band and this isn't the first such behavior from her, she will be departing whether she wants to or not.

Don't get me started with singers :confused:

I literally started singing because I just couldn't deal with it anymore :oops:

I've worked with so many over the years and it's like they're all cut from the same clotho_O

With the exception of like one here and there.....which happens to be the one who can't sing that well:eek:

For a little perspective, years ago I sliced the tip of my fretting hand index finger lengthwise down the center of the pad.

This was about 2 days before a gig... It bled for almost 3 hours (with applied pressure). I was actually driving to the ER for stitches when it finally stopped.

I played a 2 hour gig with Liquid Bandage coating it and it was torn open and bleeding by the time we were done... But cancelling was not something I really even considered.

Also, PSA - Cutco knives are wicked sharp! You've been warned :)

For a little perspective, years ago I sliced the tip of my fretting hand index finger lengthwise down the center of the pad.

This was about 2 days before a gig... It bled for almost 3 hours (with applied pressure). I was actually driving to the ER for stitches when it finally stopped.

I played a 2 hour gig with Liquid Bandage coating it and it was torn open and bleeding by the time we were done... But cancelling was not something I really even considered.

Also, PSA - Cutco knives are wicked sharp! You've been warned :)
You should have used one of those Tony Iommi thimbles! You’d have been epic!

Last edited:
Are we sharing singer stories??? :)

I'm not a professional musician. The last serious show I ALMOST played had reps from a couple of small time record companies (very early 90's). We fog out the place with the rented fogger, have our intro background music going, get up on stage and .............wait. Then wait some more..... No singer.

The dude's girlfriend got mad and wouldn't give him a ride. He said "no one from the band called me to see if I needed ride, so..." The guy didn't bother picking up the phone or anything. Just no showed because he had a girl problem that day. And this guy was over the top in telling us how we (the rest of the band) had to 'live it' like he does...put all our heart into, etc.

He's still a great singer and still making music, living the dream. From what I can tell he's still chasing that deal. I can't complain about that ending my attempt at a music career. I've been blessed with a family and a career that affords me the freedom to buy expensive toys that make music.

Sorry to derail your singer story. They are a special breed who seem to need special treatment.

Being a singer sucks - coming from someone who quit singing last year. I don't think anyone would question it if a guitar player wouldn't play with broken fingers and that's pretty much the same as a singer having an average cold. Speaking from experience from having to chest belt and do screams with a cough. I drank tee throughout the day when we had a show and the show definitely went on and because of it I didn't get my voice back for like a month after it. My speaking voice that is let alone being able to sing for an even longer period. I tried after 2 weeks and that only made the recovery last longer.

So yes vocalists suck but being a vocalist sucks more and as much crap as vocalists get for being whiny - it's all because it just sucks that your instrument is super sensitive. I'm just so much happier as a guitarist and not having to dedicate myself to a lifestyle just so I can perform songs. Trust me - being even an average singer is very difficult.

Back
Top Bottom