Since I'm new to rack gear...

Hello again!

Um, I'm new to rack gear. I'm switching up from pedals, amps, etc.

I just bumped into a post on one of those "gearslutz" type websites and somebody suggested a rack power conditioner/surge protector for the Axe-Fx. I was wondering what everybody is (generally) using for this?

Also, could anybody please point me in the right direction toward getting some kind of rack case for the Axe-Fx III? Or perhaps just a starting point to get me going?

Thanks very much for the help.

Hello again!

I just bumped into a post on one of those "gearslutz" type websites and somebody suggested a rack power conditioner/surge protector for the Axe-Fx. I was wondering what everybody is (generally) using for this?

Also, could anybody please point me in the right direction toward getting some kind of rack case for the Axe-Fx III? Or perhaps just a starting point to get me going?

One thing to consider is if you plan on putting anything else in the rack. That can drive the decision on a power conditioner for having more power plugs available. And also if you want a deep or shallow.

For example. I have a deep 4U rolling gator rack. I mount my in ears unit in the back. Have an extra U available in the front if needed and some space to spare in the back. And with the power conditioner I only have to run one power cable.

If all you need is one for the axe. You could get away with a shallow 3u.

One thing to consider is if you plan on putting anything else in the rack. That can drive the decision on a power conditioner for having more power plugs available. And also if you want a deep or shallow.

For example. I have a deep 4U rolling gator rack. I mount my in ears unit in the back. Have an extra U available in the front if needed and some space to spare in the back. And with the power conditioner I only have to run one power cable.

If all you need is one for the axe. You could get away with a shallow 3u.

Thank you very much for your help. I am going to check out that stuff now.

SKB are pretty popular and the Axe-FX III fits perfectly.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SKBR3S--skb-1skb-r3s-roto-molded-shallow-rack-case
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SKBR4S--skb-1skb-r4s-roto-molded-shallow-rack-case

As far as power conditioners, most models are just for surge protection and basic filtering. If you really want to also regulate output power, you need to spend a bit more. Compare this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PL8C--furman-pl-8c-15a to this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M8XAR--furman-m-8x-ar

SKB are pretty popular and the Axe-FX III fits perfectly.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SKBR3S--skb-1skb-r3s-roto-molded-shallow-rack-case
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SKBR4S--skb-1skb-r4s-roto-molded-shallow-rack-case

As far as power conditioners, most models are just for surge protection and basic filtering. If you really want to also regulate output power, you need to spend a bit more. Compare this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PL8C--furman-pl-8c-15a to this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M8XAR--furman-m-8x-ar

Thank you very much for your response. I appreciate the links too.

Do you use any type of power conditioner? I'm more concerned with protecting the unit more than anything else. Of course, removing any buzzing/noise from power lines is a plus. I'm not sure if power line noise is a problem with the Axe-Fx III? I guess it depends on the power of the house/pub/club/etc.

You’re very welcome.

Do you use any type of power conditioner? I'm more concerned with protecting the unit more than anything else. Of course, removing any buzzing/noise from power lines is a plus. I'm not sure if power line noise is a problem with the Axe-Fx III? I guess it depends on the power of the house/pub/club/etc.

I’m not using anything other than the Axe-FX III at the moment. To be true I’m not gigging that much lately, but if I were to gig more often (especially in places where power isn’t stable/clean) I would consider buying a Furman like the MX-8, rather than just a surge protector like most entry level power conditioners. For spikes in current I guess I trust the Axe-FX internal fuse.

Power line noise is a pedal and amp problem- not an Axe problem. The Axe is a computer, really, so it won’t be subject to crappy club power the same way a tube amp would be. The only reason you would need a power conditioner is if you need more plugs in your rack, or if you’re worried about power surges frying your Axe.

Edit- apparently others do experience noise because of power supplies, so please disregard.

Last edited:
Hello again!

I really don’t think a power conditioner is necessary. I would use something with great surge protection. I have a 4 outlet Tripplite Isobar that I know will protect my gear and it doesn’t even take up rack space.

Power line noise is a pedal and amp problem- not an Axe problem. The Axe is a computer, really, so it won’t be subject to crappy club power the same way a tube amp would be. The only reason you would need a power conditioner is if you need more plugs in your rack, or if you’re worried about power surges frying your Axe.
This is definitely not true in my experience. Turn on my dishwasher and my Axe Fx hums quite a bit.

Electrical noise fed into something that amplifies audio results in amplified noise. The Axe Fx is not immune to this.

Not all power conditioners are created equal. If you are looking at a $50-150 Furman, it is little more than a glorified power strip in rack format. Save your money.

You need to figure out what you want and how much you are willing to pay for it. Surge Protection? Voltage Regulation? Noise Filtering? A power bank? Sacrificial anode or non-sacrificial?

Just this week I completed a switch from a TrippLite unit that had great surge protection and voltage regulation. The problem was that not only did it not have noise filtering, it actually added noise.

I switched to using dual power appliances: a Furman P-1800 AR and a Furman P-1800 PF R. This solution provides the same level of surge protection, better voltage regulation, very good noise filtering, a power bank, and is non-sacrificial.

The catch is that my current power solution cost over $800 buying used. Had I bought it new, it would have cost around $1700. The TrippLite cost ~$350.

The noise floor in my rig lowered noticeably when I added the Furman P-1800 PF R, so it was worth it to me. I have to say though that this does not mean it is a solution to all noise. It was a solution to some noise in my rig, but I have also specifically eliminated ground loops and several other types of noise using other solutions. Racks can have ground loops, conducted noise, inducted noise. Noise in a guitar rig rarely has a nice one size fits all solution.

I also live in Florida and surge protection and voltage regulation is important due to two factors: lightning and the crappy power grid in Florida.

I would suggest you consider what your needs are then find a solution that meets your needs and is in your budget. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

I thank everybody very much for the input. This has given me quite a bit to think about.

I am not sure the route I am going to take. It is eye-opening that power conditioning is such an expensive undertaking, which I suppose I was expecting.

While I do advocate surge and brown out protection, a lot of noise isn’t necessarily in the 120/60hz line. It’s your guitar’s Pups.

Do your noise hunting smartly.

This is definitely not true in my experience. Turn on my dishwasher and my Axe Fx hums quite a bit.

Electrical noise fed into something that amplifies audio results in amplified noise. The Axe Fx is not immune to this.
I noticed this for the first time yesterday when my upstairs neighbours turned off their laundry machine, the background noise in my Axe-FX changed slightly. Not enough to really matter, just a slightly different timbre to the regular amp hiss..

Back
Top Bottom