Simulating the VallhallIR sample FullRes impulses

Chris Hurley

Power User
I tried out the sample FullRes IR's from VallhallIR and found it an interesting space to play in...

I then set about trying to get something similar with a regular IR or panned pair of IR's, Reverb, enhancer, etc...

I wasnt able to get the room setting on the cab block or the ambience reverb even close. Maybe someone more skilled could do it but as I suspected when it was suggested in the beeeta thread, I don't think it's that simple or Fractal wouldn't be bothering with Fullres.

I tone matched two impulses of the sample FR IR's, which obviously are shorter, only the room and don't sound the same but was thinking I might put a room verb after that and get close. The tone matched impulses weren't as bright - perhaps the lack of the high frequency reflections.

The sample IR's don't sound like the cab is dead center. Panning the regular cab didn't seem to be the answer on its own to recreating that.

Any other mk1 legacy owners tried to copy the sample FullRes IR's... Or any suggestions for putting your virtual Amp in a similarly realistic space to play in with headphones?

I'm hopeful that Fractal manages to squeeze in a few factory FullRes IR's for mk1 users but I'll bet they can't fit it.

Last edited:
I'm hopeful that Fractal manages to squeeze in a few factory trueres IR's for mk1 users but I'll bet they can't fit it.
You need to read the release notes for beta 3.

The Scratchpad bank has been updated to support FullRes IRs.

NOTE: The FullRes User IR bank is only available on the Axe-Fx III Mark II. The original Axe-Fx III has less non-volatile memory and therefore does not have the necessary resources to store the IRs. The Scratchpad bank supports FullRes IRs but the data will be lost when the unit is powered off.

I read it... I understand that there will be no userslots for full res. I'm hoping for a few factory IRs. When I mentioned it previously, FractalAudio said "perhaps" and I don't there has been any further commentary on that-only about user slots.

This thread is about simulating the experience with the assumption that the fullres capability is not coming (beyond the Scratchpad, which is welcome.)

I used the Scratchpad functionality to load the samples so I would have something to a/b against

Try this block file.

It's a reverb block, set up as a parallel reverb, but not too hard to switch to serial connection.

I dialed up the early reflections and dialed back the later wash from the room. Mix to taste. I had the mix up a little bit to make sure it was obvious in the Soundcloud track, but mixed a little lower, it can give a decent sense of space. Might not be 100% the same, but will hopefully help in simulation of the FullRes thing....

Adding a reverb block won't get the same results. Not expecting that for myself before the audio clips, I must say, that I'm really thrilled about the sound you can achieve with the FullRes IRs.
@Chris Hurley , Another way to get some AITR-Sound would be, to load our Full-Res Wav files into a good convolution reverb plugin and combine it with the close-mic signal from the Axefx in a DAW. I know, it won't be a solution for playing live, but our complete V2-product range will (most of the cab packs already have been) be updated. So, every customer can find the 1370 ms IR folder of the complete packs in his download area - for free.

Best Regards,
Andy from Valhallir

Might not be 100% the same, but will hopefully help in simulation of the FullRes thing....
Adding a reverb block won't get the same results. Not expecting that for myself before the audio clips, I must say, that I'm really thrilled about the sound you can achieve with the FullRes IRs.

The results are not the same (and I said so), and the sound with the IRs is definitely better, but not everyone will be able to use them conveniently. :)

As this thread is titled "Simulating the Valhallir Sample TrueRes Impulses", I submitted the reverb block I created to do just that - simulate the AITR sound without the IRs. I like it better than the reverb I was using prior to today on my presets, as it is mostly early reflections and very little of the wash of later reflections. Mixed in subtly, it gives a little sense of being in a space, without sounding 'reverby'. The reverb block, with some careful pokes and prods at various settings, provides a sense of space similar to (though slightly 'synthetic') what can be achieved with a good FullRes IR, and use a lot less CPU, which can be a factor even with the FX3 Mk2, as I found out on a couple of my busier presets.... :)

The results are not the same (and I said so), and the sound with the IRs is definitely better, but not everyone will be able to use them conveniently. :)

As this thread is titled "Simulating the Valhallir Sample TrueRes Impulses", I submitted the reverb block I created to do just that - simulate the AITR sound without the IRs. I like it better than the reverb I was using prior to today on my presets, as it is mostly early reflections and very little of the wash of later reflections. Mixed in subtly, it gives a little sense of being in a space, without sounding 'reverby'. The reverb block, with some careful pokes and prods at various settings, provides a sense of space similar to (though slightly 'synthetic') what can be achieved with a good FullRes IR, and use a lot less CPU, which can be a factor even with the FX3 Mk2, as I found out on a couple of my busier presets.... :)
I like the Recording Studio A sample best. The special thing about the FullRes is, that you don't have the feeling of "reverb", you just have the feeling of being in a room. Its so cool. But I really appreciate your effort!

I like the Recording Studio A sample best. The special thing about the FullRes is, that you don't have the feeling of "reverb", you just have the feeling of being in a room. Its so cool. But I really appreciate your effort!
Ironically, though Recording Studio C was my favorite of the reverbs and was used in almost all my presets, the Recording Studio A is my favorite of these four, closely followed by the Large Wooden Room. Subtly mixed, you get at least some sense of a space without the 'reverb' wash. I guess you could compare the difference between the IR and a carefully-tweaked reverb to the difference between my former girlfriend's homemade Malakofftorte (Es hast mir sehr gut geschmeckt!) and a Malakofftorte from a bakery here in Phoenix that had to look up the recipe online....

@Chris Hurley , Another way to get some AITR-Sound would be, to load our Full-Res Wav files into a good convolution reverb plugin and combine it with the close-mic signal from the Axefx in a DAW. I know, it won't be a solution for playing live, but our complete V2-product range will (most of the cab packs already have been) be updated. So, every customer can find the 1370 ms IR folder of the complete packs in his download area - for free.

Best Regards,
Andy from Valhallir
Any good convolution reverb plugin you can recommend? I was always using reaverb, but I need something that will work in gig performer ;)
btw Can't wait for the JCM1980 update :)

Ironically, though Recording Studio C was my favorite of the reverbs and was used in almost all my presets, the Recording Studio A is my favorite of these four, closely followed by the Large Wooden Room. Subtly mixed, you get at least some sense of a space without the 'reverb' wash. I guess you could compare the difference between the IR and a carefully-tweaked reverb to the difference between my former girlfriend's homemade Malakofftorte (Es hast mir sehr gut geschmeckt!) and a Malakofftorte from a bakery here in Phoenix that had to look up the recipe online....
This is the first time in history, that the word "Malakofftorte" appears on the Fractal Audio forum. Now I'm hungry. Thank you. ;-)

Any good convolution reverb plugin you can recommend? I was always using reaverb, but I need something that will work in gig performer ;)
btw Can't wait for the JCM1980 update :)
That's a good question. Using a lot of Waves-plugins, I would say. that even the IR1 from Waves could do the job. But there is also a very good convolution plugin in Studio One Pro from Presonus (I use that DAW for years, I really love it)

That's a good question. Using a lot of Waves-plugins, I would say. that even the IR1 from Waves could do the job. But there is also a very good convolution plugin in Studio One Pro from Presonus (I use that DAW for years, I really love it)
I'm ready to buy some of your IR packs, could you tell me which of them already feature the longer FullRes IRs or perhaps it would be a shorter list to list those packs that don't feature them as of this moment?

BTW: If you load your FullRes IRs into the presonus convolution reverb plugin (open air), is there any difference between the Axe III IR tone versus the tone you're getting from the presonus plugin? Should theoretically be the same, just want to make sure that it is indeed identical.

If you've got the opportunity, gotta try it. Yummy! It's a 'no-bake' cake made from lady fingers soaked in a mixture of coffee and rum, and held together with buttercream.

It's not very reverby, though.... ;)
No-bake? Well, that leaves out the FullRes IRs :rolleyes:

Sure sounds tasty tho!

Try this block file.

It's a reverb block, set up as a parallel reverb, but not too hard to switch to serial connection.

I dialed up the early reflections and dialed back the later wash from the room. Mix to taste. I had the mix up a little bit to make sure it was obvious in the Soundcloud track, but mixed a little lower, it can give a decent sense of space. Might not be 100% the same, but will hopefully help in simulation of the FullRes thing....

Sounds good. The Reverb block is very powerful. As you noted you can increase the early reflections to bring out the "room" more.

Sounds good. The Reverb block is very powerful. As you noted you can increase the early reflections to bring out the "room" more.
Thanks!
I picked a few at random that looked like good starting places. Two knob tweaks that were not on the main tab is all I did. I simply swapped the early and late levels as a rough starting point, and tried it. Likely a number of other reverb types can work as well....

I'm ready to buy some of your IR packs, could you tell me which of them already feature the longer FullRes IRs or perhaps it would be a shorter list to list those packs that don't feature them as of this moment?

BTW: If you load your FullRes IRs into the presonus convolution reverb plugin (open air), is there any difference between the Axe III IR tone versus the tone you're getting from the presonus plugin? Should theoretically be the same, just want to make sure that it is indeed identical.
For the following V2-cab packs you can already find the 1370 ms folder in the download area:
V2-Fred
V2-Leo
V2-Green69
V2-TBAC65
V2-Mofo
V2-Angie
V2-OR1972

The 2 provided Freebie room IRs belong to a previously unreleased cab pack named "V2-Viper", which is based on a Marshall Mode 4 oversized cab, crossloaded with 2 WGS Reaper 50 HP and 2 WGS Veteran 30 speakers. This cab pack will be released to the end of October.

Concerning the open air convolution reverb in Studio One: theoretically yes, the length of 1370ms is no problem for the tool, but I did not take the time yet to compare that to the sound of the Axefx III (I only have an Axefx III, Mk1 atm)

Before the new FullRes clips came out, I didn't even spend a thought on room IRs for my personal use. I knew, that they would make a difference, as soon as it would be possible to go beyond 1000 ms, so we shot them from the beginning (we could even provide 2000 ms ones, if needed ;-)

I'm also very conservative, when it comes to Beta-Versions, I have never loaded any betas in my Fractal units from the beginning. ;-) From the First Gen Axe Standard, to the Ax8, the Axefx II (in 3 different versions) or the Axe fx III (Mk1) and we are about to release 2 different cab packs within the upcoming weeks. As I'm also in the guitar recording phase for my band's next release, I won't start loading FW17 beta on my Axe III, because I would rather sell the children of my neighbours than sacrifice my existing guitar sound. ;-)

Unfortunately it really sounds impressive, so a MkII will be the next logical step for me, as we intend to really stretch out the opportunities, that you have with 1370 ms. That's just an IR-producer's dream come true.

Hope, that helps a bit,

Best Regards,
Andy from Valhallir.at

Back
Top Bottom