Simulating Speaker Impedance Mismatch

Yes, this is a big element to my SRV patches....

...it should be noted that I have a theory that a lot of the epic 60s/70s marshall tones might have been a result of mismatch as well. back then, it was common to use two 4x12 cabs with each marhsall head. Since they probably didn't care, they just plugged them into the jacks in the back of the amps not paying attention to any OHM matching. So there might have been some happy accidents of a 16ohm setting into 8ohm (two parallel 16ohm cabs) or even possibly 4ohm into 8ohm.

Long story short, play with the missmatch, its probably a bigger part of the historic guitar tones then one might first imagine.

Yek has done a great job of putting Cliff's insights & tips in the wiki in the corresponding places. E.g., if you look there under the section explaining Transformer Match, you will find a bunch of his previous comments on this.

AMP (block) - Axe-Fx II Wiki

The wiki is a fantastic resource to understand this box. Yek has put a ton of time into making it a tremendous repository of useful information. IMHO, there is no better place to go to learn more about the Axe.

Last edited:
Make no mistake about it. Burned binary is bitter and harsh. You never want melded data clogging your tone during a live set. It sometimes takes 3 or 4 reboots to clear it all away.

:D

Terry.

A tip for anyone struggling to get a decent tone should be "Reset amp block", "Check the Wiki" and "Buy the FAS and Own Hammer Ir packs"

Job's a good 'un.

Definitely a cool thing to experiment with. Could easily hear the difference but hard to tell if it's a change for the better or worse... just different. :) I must admit that I don't usually touch any of these settings mostly because I'm extremely happy with how everything sounds as is.

Yes, a separate sub-forum would be best as I post these but eventually they end up with the dust bunnies.
I petitioned for a "Cliff Notes" sub-forum long, long ago, but no one cared or listened so I've slowly saved up my own cliff notes over the years.

i think it was just created yesterday, and solo-act was commenting on how he wished for it a while ago - and here it is finally.
I think a while ago was around 2010. In 2011 I wished for inputs assignable per-patch, with toggle for pitch and envelope detectors on rear inputs…I'm guessing 2014-2015 for that one (kidding but still hoping) ;)

:lol sorry for laughing but did you check the name of the sub-forum for this thread?

I assumed there was some intentional pun on the word, as cliff notes were originally on the side margin of the book, then eventually notations at the bottom. Right?

Back
Top Bottom