Simulating guitar tone control?

jzucker

Experienced
Is there an eq setting I can use to simulate rolling off the guitar tone control? One of my guitars doesn't have one and I usually take it down to 6 or 7 for fusiony leads. I've tried a low pass filter and that sort of works but doesn't really sound the same.

You might try a Filter block first in the chain. Set for a low pass type use a fairly low Q setting say .350 or so, attach a modifier to the Freq parameter and give that a shot!

Is there an eq setting I can use to simulate rolling off the guitar tone control? One of my guitars doesn't have one and I usually take it down to 6 or 7 for fusiony leads. I've tried a low pass filter and that sort of works but doesn't really sound the same.

I saw someone recommend putting a passive 5-band GEQ as the first thing in the signal chain to be like having another tone knob on your guitar. I use it for what you're describing, and to get jazz clean tones out of solidbody guitars.

wanted to revive this thread. Anyone have anything that works ? I tried a low pass filter but it doesn't seem to give me the same effect though it's useful...

There's more to it than just a low pass filter. The pickup's inductance causes resonance in the circuit, so there are resonant peaks in the response that change as you roll the tone control down. With the Tone on 10, the pickup's resonant peak is prominent and you have the least treble loss. With the tone in the middle range of about 6 through 4, both resonant peaks are fairly leveled out. With the Tone at 0, the filter's resonant peak is prominent at the cutoff frequency instead and you have the most treble loss.

The location of those cutoff and resonant peak frequencies depends on not only the pickups, pots, and capacitors in the guitar circuit, but also the capacitance and impedance of the cable and receiving input as well. You'd need to no only simulate the changing cutoff and resonance of the filter, but also the changing resonant peak of the pickup as well. It's doable, but not easily.

Back
Top Bottom